The Student Room Group

stay or leave the EU?

Scroll to see replies

European Union is a failing organisation

[video="youtube;oSJfgMyzD-s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSJfgMyzD-s[/video]
The average man on the street who wants to leave sees leaving as a way of reducing the flow of inbound immigrants who come equipped with cultures and customs that are difficult to integrate. It's that simple in their minds. They don't give a monkey's about how leaving the EU may affect big businesses like O2 or M&S, air travel or the Square Mile.

The average man cares more about the social/cultural changes, wages and the increased pressure on infrastructure/services brought about the recent waves of mass immigration.

The migration crisis hasn't abated and it'll only become worse as time passes - number of new migrants into Europe have already hit 100k this year. A lot of people who want leave see leaving as a way of curbing the side effects of this growing problem.

For the average leaver it's purely about reducing immigration and nothing else.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think we should Steve the EU
People look at the short term and not long term. We don't need the EU. If Britain leaves and possibility of others leaving the EU is doomed.

Like the Soviet Union it sounded good until put into practice.

Are the benefits really worth it?
Original post by DorianGrayism
Also, if Scotland leaves the UK, they will not be part of the EU unless they reapply.

Whilst Salmond was talking nonsense on the subject of EU membership at the time of the Scottish referendum, everything is much more fluid if the UK leaves simultaneously with Scottish independence. Europe could convince itself that Scotland was the successor to the UK's EU membership.
Leave! All those migrants coming in a stealing our jobs and benefits. It needs to be stopped.
Original post by MrMcBants
Leave! All those migrants coming in a stealing our jobs and benefits. It needs to be stopped.

Stealing your jobs? Is there an entitlement here?

If they got the job over you, you don't deserve it anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *stefan*
stealing your jobs? Is there an entitlement here?

If they got the job over you, you don't deserve it anyway.

posted from tsr mobile

pipe down
Original post by MrMcBants
pipe down

Stronk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RivalPlayer
The average man on the street who wants to leave sees leaving as a way of reducing the flow of inbound immigrants who come equipped with cultures and customs that are difficult to integrate. It's that simple in their minds. They don't give a monkey's about how leaving the EU may affect big businesses like O2 or M&S, air travel or the Square Mile.

The average man cares more about the social/cultural changes, wages and the increased pressure on infrastructure/services brought about the recent waves of mass immigration.

The migration crisis hasn't abated and it'll only become worse as time passes - number of new migrants into Europe have already hit 100k this year. A lot of people who want leave see leaving as a way of curbing the side effects of this growing problem.

For the average leaver it's purely about reducing immigration and nothing else.

But the point is, he is not the average person; he believes he is the average person and more than that he believes he is the normal person.

He will regard women as a minority, along with blacks, gays, and the disabled. He thinks the average person drinks bitter and not a latte.

He fails to understand why his view usually doesn't prevail even though everyone he knows thinks like him.

He doesn't build a political coalition, because he thinks he is a member of the dominant group when actually he is a member of a significant minority,
Leave.
I might not vote. "Whatever happens, happens". I'll let everyone else decide.

Can anyone tell me when the UK properly joined the EU? And when did the problems start happening?
Original post by Naveed-7
I might not vote. "Whatever happens, happens". I'll let everyone else decide.

Can anyone tell me when the UK properly joined the EU? And when did the problems start happening?

We joined what was then commonly but inaccurately called the Common Market or the European Economic Community on 1st January 1973.

It all depends what you mean by the problems but there is a plausible case for saying June 1950 when Herbert Morrison said "The Durham miners won't wear it"
Original post by nulli tertius
But the point is, he is not the average person; he believes he is the average person and more than that he believes he is the normal person.

He will regard women as a minority, along with blacks, gays, and the disabled. He thinks the average person drinks bitter and not a latte.

He fails to understand why his view usually doesn't prevail even though everyone he knows thinks like him.

He doesn't build a political coalition, because he thinks he is a member of the dominant group when actually he is a member of a significant minority,

Interesting how you conflate the legitimate desire to reduce and control immigration with all of this - you should have added a few more phobias for good measure. The desire to leave the EU is one that is shared among a growing number of educated non-white people too. Your post amounts to nothing more than a poor attempt to smear a post that you disagree with.
Original post by RivalPlayer
Interesting how you conflate the legitimate desire to reduce and control immigration with all of this - you should have added a few more phobias for good measure. The desire to leave the EU is one that is shared among a growing number of educated non-white people too. Your post amounts to nothing more than a poor attempt to smear a post that you disagree with.

I am fairly describing a section of the electorate. The fact that there are others who wish to leave the EU who do not fall within the section I have described is sagely irrelevant.

http://www.demos.co.uk/files/Changing_places_-_web.pdf

Anyone in the UK who isn't an average person is in a minority, the "average people" you refer to and clearly have a lot of disdain for would appear to mean the white working class. As everyday working people(the vast majority of them being people who ticked the white British box on the census form) make up the lion's share of the population I think their opinions on the UK's future count for something.

By the way I'm voting in but that's beside the point.
Original post by JamesN88
Anyone in the UK who isn't an average person is in a minority, the "average people" you refer to and clearly have a lot of disdain for would appear to mean the white working class. As everyday working people(the vast majority of them being people who ticked the white British box on the census form) make up the lion's share of the population I think their opinions on the UK's future count for something.

By the way I'm voting in but that's beside the point.

First of all, the people I have identified do not make up the "lion's share" of the population but you are exactly fulfilling the stereotype I have identified by regarding themselves and yourself as being one of average people. How can I be so sure of that? Because my stereotype is entirely male and anyone who identifies an entirely male group as being "average" has precisely the blindspot that I identify.

My stereotype is not exclusively working class; it includes the golf club bore as much as the man down the working man's club.

Moreover, my attitude is not one of distain. There is a certain amount of sympathy for people bypassed by history. However, as I said they lose the argument because they do not build coalitions. They are not the lion's share of the population but they think they are.
First of all, the people I have identified do not make up the "lion's share" of the population but you are exactly fulfilling the stereotype I have identified by regarding themselves and yourself as being one of average people. How can I be so sure of that? Because my stereotype is entirely male and anyone who identifies an entirely male group as being "average" has precisely the blindspot that I identify.

My stereotype is not exclusively working class; it includes the golf club bore as much as the man down the working man's club.

Moreover, my attitude is not one of distain. There is a certain amount of sympathy for people bypassed by history. However, as I said they lose the argument because they do not build coalitions. They are not the lion's share of the population but they think they are.

I don't fulfill any of those stereotypes.

I don't think women are in the minority(if they were the human race wouldn't be expanding at the rate it is), I had what could be perceived as a middle-class upbringing, I haven't been bypassed by history, I drink latte, I have drunk bitter occasionally although it isn't my favored type of beer, I get annoyed by some politicians inability to compromise for the common good and I respect everyone's right to hold opinions that differ from my own.
Original post by JamesN88
I don't fulfill any of those stereotypes.

I don't think women are in the minority(if they were the human race wouldn't be expanding at the rate it is), I had what could be perceived as a middle-class upbringing, I haven't been bypassed by history, I drink latte, I have drunk bitter occasionally although it isn't my favored type of beer, I get annoyed by some politicians inability to compromise for the common good and I respect everyone's right to hold opinions that differ from my own.

Noted
do you really think the goverment would spend those 9/Millions or Billions on tax paying citizens or in society alone?? that is just money that wont be spent on british people STAY

Quick Reply

Latest