Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD Watch

ReputationRep:
    Took me a while to understand from markscheme (obvs didnt get in first go), hope it makes sense, reply again if it doesnt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zirak46)
    Took me a while to understand from markscheme (obvs didnt get in first go), hope it makes sense, reply again if it doesnt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Makes me panic that you're finding and answering these insane questions and I wouldn't even know where to start with that despite finishing learning the content :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I understand upto getting the conc of h2o2 but dont understand why we times by Mr?
    Is there a formula that im missing?
    n=cv, n=v/24, n=mass/mr
    Dont understand why we do c=mass/mr

Shouldnt it mean by that logic 0.469 x 34 x (0.025)
    Because cv = mass/mr

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    Makes me panic that you're finding and answering these insane questions and I wouldn't even know where to start with that despite finishing learning the content :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im at same stage as you, i literally started past papers today and i was so confused! Its just trial and error, do past papers and get them wrong, thats all good because this is just practise. Just learn from mark scheme and if it doesnt make sense, post them here, thats what im doing, posted 2 above so dont panic, we have time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im at same stage as you, i literally started past papers today and i was so confused! Its just trial and error, do past papers and get them wrong, thats all good because this is just practise. Just learn from mark scheme and if it doesnt make sense, post them here, thats what im doing, posted 2 above so dont panic, we have time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've only done questions by topic with physicsandmathstutor.com but need to hit the real past papers now. The panic is real. Got 6 weeks to polish things up :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've only done questions by topic with physicsandmathstutor.com but need to hit the real past papers now. The panic is real. Got 6 weeks to polish things up :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Chill fam, take it steady, practise and go through your past papers every other day

ReputationRep:
    Chill fam, take it steady, practise and go through your past papers every other day
    Thank you! Hopefully things look better soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Value of Kc increases if forward reaction is endo and temp is increased. Whereas if forward reaction is exothermic and temp increases, value of Kc decreases. This I understand.

However I flip to the next page and it says 'kc is altered by changes in temperature, the value of kc is unaffected by changes in conc and pressure' and below it gives examples of n2o4 <-> n2o2 and kc value changes. Anyone with the text book want to explain? Is it because by le chateliers principle it will shift the position of equilibrium to produce more reactant/product to restore the concentrations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Value of Kc increases if forward reaction is endo and temp is increased. Whereas if forward reaction is exothermic and temp increases, value of Kc decreases. This I understand.

However I flip to the next page and it says 'kc is altered by changes in temperature, the value of kc is unaffected by changes in conc and pressure' and below it gives examples of n2o4 <-> n2o2 and kc value changes. Anyone with the text book want to explain? Is it because by le chateliers principle it will shift the position of equilibrium to produce more reactant/product to restore the concentrations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From what i understand:

Kc is only affected by temp, thats it.
    But when pressure or conc changes, kc is altered and so each of the top and bottom of kc expression either increase or decrease until Kc is reached again.

What page in the book were you takking about? Is this the Cambridge Ocr Chem book? If so, what page and i can try to help more?

ReputationRep:
    I understand upto getting the conc of h2o2 but dont understand why we times by Mr?
    Is there a formula that im missing?
    n=cv, n=v/24, n=mass/mr
    Dont understand why we do c=mass/mr

Shouldnt it mean by that logic 0.469 x 34 x (0.025)
    Because cv = mass/mr

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because the units are in g mol-3 not in mol dm-3 so you have to multiply the concentration by mr to get it to g dm-3.

ReputationRep:
    Is it because by le chateliers principle it will shift the position of equilibrium to produce more reactant/product to restore the concentrations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Literally thought the same thing till this morning actually but no, Kc never changes overall. Changing conc and pressure means the kc system is no longer at equilibrium. So both the bottom and top of expression will either each inc or dec till Kc is reached.

Meaning overall no change due to the expressions in Kc change

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand though, sorry if i sound silly

Conc x vol = mols

Mass / Mr = mols

We found conc by mols / vol , but how does conc relate to mass / mr ?

Is it a case of g dm-3 means mass / vol, which is equivalent to conc x mr?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)
    Because the units are in g mol-3 not in mol dm-3 so you have to multiply the concentration by mr to get it to g dm-3.
    Omg i get it thank you, just replying made me realise haha, thanks for the help! Hope my explanation helped you too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Omg i get it thank you, just replying made me realise haha, thanks for the help! Hope my explanation helped you too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes thank you it did. But you know how the second product has a -S-S- bond reformed, how do you know the disulphides bond is made again when it doesn't tell you?

ReputationRep:
    Literally thought the same thing till this morning actually but no, Kc never changes overall. Changing conc and pressure means the kc system is no longer at equilibrium. So both the bottom and top of expression will either each inc or dec till Kc is reached.

Meaning overall no change due to the expressions in Kc change

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay so...

Say I had 2NO2 <-> 2NO + O2

Kc = [NO]^2[O2]
    [NO2]^2

And I increased the conc of 2NO2 by x2, that means there is more reactant than product (bottom of expression increased). It is no longer in equilibrium so position of equilibrium shifts from left to the right to increase conc of NO and O2 and to decrease conc NO2 in the expression so Kc value can be restored?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From what i understand:

Kc is only affected by temp, thats it.
    But when pressure or conc changes, kc is altered and so each of the top and bottom of kc expression either increase or decrease until Kc is reached again.

What page in the book were you takking about? Is this the Cambridge Ocr Chem book? If so, what page and i can try to help more?
    What do you mean by kc is 'altered'? as in the equation in itself not the value? And noo the other one, black and blue

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just remember guys, questions like that disulfide bond are the most challenging ones. That one was only 2 marks out of 100. If you get a similar situation in the real one just move on and try to score best on the other 98 marks. You're better off getting 5 easy marks on a buffer solution than spending a long time on a 2 mark question.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so...

Say I had 2NO2 2NO + O2

Kc = [NO]^2[O2]
    [NO2]^2

And I increased the conc of 2NO2 by x2, that means there is more reactant than product (bottom of expression increased). It is no longer in equilibrium so position of equilibrium shifts from left to the right to increase conc of NO and O2 and to decrease conc NO2 in the expression so Kc value can be restored?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    That all seems right!
    Just to make sure, recap of what happens from what I understand:

-conc of NO2 has been increased
    -meaning system no longer in equilibrium
    -Kc isnt affected and therefore doesnt change
    -this is because top of kc expression will increase until the original value of Kc is reached

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by kc is 'altered'? as in the equation in itself not the value? And noo the other one, black and blue

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From my understanding:

Kc is conc of products / conc of reactants
    Changing temp will change VALUE of Kc
    Changing conc or pressure will change CONC of prod or reactants
    Meaning Kc is altered
    But we know kc never changes when change in pressure and conc
    Thats because the prod (bottom of expression) or/and reactants (top of expression) will change till Kc is reached

Hope that makes sense and if im wrong, please someone do correct me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rory58824)
    Just remember guys, questions like that disulfide bond are the most challenging ones. That one was only 2 marks out of 100. If you get a similar situation in the real one just move on and try to score best on the other 98 marks. You're better off getting 5 easy marks on a buffer solution than spending a long time on a 2 mark question.
    Thats a very good point, took me good 10 mins to the question and i got no marks xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.