The Student Room Group

Maths degree without further maths and physics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pvaz6965
I can't be bothered reading all the posts but just about everyone has told you the same thing in regard to this.

(And just FYI - I am a mathematics professor at a top 2 in the UK university who formerly used to be the departments admissions person)

is that why your name is 'pvaz6965' ?
Original post by ameenatariq

Now you're just being immature...

Absolutely no need for that
not everyone

Close to it. Look it's bleeding obvious, if you want to do maths at university most people take further maths because they like maths and it is often a required option or it is an advised option. Even lower universities will take it into account in a positive manner from an applicant and if two applicants are going after one place and the only real difference is further maths then they'll take the further maths person.

Seems to me you really aren't sure you want to do maths at university or if you do you somehow want to get there in as easy manner as possible.
Original post by pvaz6965
Close to it. Look it's bleeding obvious, if you want to do maths at university most people take further maths because they like maths and it is often a required option or it is an advised option. Even lower universities will take it into account in a positive manner from an applicant and if two applicants are going after one place and the only real difference is further maths then they'll take the further maths person.

Seems to me you really aren't sure you want to do maths at university or if you do you somehow want to get there in as easy manner as possible.

i posted this thread to find out whether you could do a maths degree without doing a level FM and physics i have gotten my answer, i didn't say that is the degree i want i am considering.

Huh???? The pvaz is for Paradise Valley, Arizona where my wife was born. The 6965 is my wife's birthday.
To be honest I think studying something else on your own would be more beneficial as a preparation for an undergrad course in maths than going over FM syllabus. E.g. Basic analysis / some abstract algebra
Original post by hassassin04
To be honest I think studying something else on your own would be more beneficial as a preparation for an undergrad course in maths than going over FM syllabus. E.g. Basic analysis / some abstract algebra

I would agree except most people needing to ask the question this thread started with won't have much of a chance of self teaching real analysis and such topics.
can you do a maths degree without further maths and physics at a level?

now I am going to ignore the whole STEP, top unis

If you want to do maths at university, I can't really understand why you don't want to take as much maths as you can before hand?

If it really is because you think it will be too hard then how do you expect to cope with university level maths? it only gets harder not easier, what would the point in an A-level being harder than a degree

You should take further maths along side maths if you want to do it at uni, because even if a uni doesn't require or suggest it, it will make first year a whole lot better and give you chance to practice other areas more. You will also go into uni being better at maths than people who havent

basically you're not maximsing your potential by not taking further maths, just seems like a stupid idea tbh when you know you want to study maths

example

I do physics and I am in first year (so has a fair amount of maths), we had our maths 1 paper in first semester and EVERYONE who did further maths at A-level did better than the people who didn't. So even though you didn't need the subject to get onto the course, people who did do it performed a whole lot better on the whole than people who didn't
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by madmadmax321
now I am going to ignore the whole STEP, top unis

If you want to do maths at university, I can't really understand why you don't want to take as much maths as you can before hand?

If it really is because you think it will be too hard then how do you expect to cope with university level maths? it only gets harder not easier, what would the point in an A-level being harder than a degree

You should take further maths along side maths if you want to do it at uni, because even if a uni doesn't require or suggest it, it will make first year a whole lot better and give you chance to practice other areas more. You will also go into uni being better at maths than people who havent

basically you're not maximsing your potential by not taking further maths, just seems like a stupid idea tbh when you know you want to study maths

example

I do physics and I am in first year (so has a fair amount of maths), we had our maths 1 paper in first semester and EVERYONE who did further maths at A-level did better than the people who didn't. So even though you didn't need the subject to get onto the course, people who did do it performed a whole lot better on the whole than people who didn't

I didn't say I was going to study a maths degree I said that was one of my options, thank you for your opinion anyway
I didn't say I was going to study a maths degree I said that was one of my options, thank you for your opinion anyway

FWIW, in my opinion, you certainly shouldn't do a maths degree - you don't seem to enjoy maths enough to pursue it beyond A-Level.

Ah, I implied from the op that you were going to apply for maths, then yeah just A-level maths will be fine I guess if you're not bothered about going to a top 15ish university if you decide to do maths

Though if one of your other options if physics then would strongly recommend taking fm as even though neither will require it both subjects benefit from it EXTREMELY
Original post by Zacken
FWIW, in my opinion, you certainly shouldn't do a maths degree - you don't seem to enjoy maths enough to pursue it beyond A-Level.

I dont need you to tell me whether I should or shouldn't do something, if I want to pursue it I will. I just came on here to ask one thing.
I dont need you to tell me whether I should or shouldn't do something, if I want to pursue it I will. I just came on here to ask one thing.

Sure, have fun with that.
handbags away ladies :unimpressed:

What other subjects are you considering @ameenatariq ? are you definitely doing at least maths for alevel?
Original post by DylanJ42
handbags away ladies :unimpressed:

What other subjects are you considering @ameenatariq ? are you definitely doing at least maths for alevel?

Yeah, I'm doing biology and chemistry
Yeah, I'm doing biology and chemistry

why don't you try doing maths, biology, chemistry and further maths and if its too difficult you can always drop it

although AS further maths isn't bad at all, you should get the hang of it pretty quickly :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken

Let's not get carried away. She's only doing GCSEs and it seems she's not absolutely certain about doing maths as a degree. Perhaps she likes but doesn't love maths right now, but will do in the future - people's academic interests change over time, particularly so at around this point in their education.

I don't think we should speak in absolutes such as saying she 'certainly shouldn't do a maths degree' (even if you did preface it as stating your opinion) - we should encourage those who have some interest in maths, not be puritans about those who aren't already absolutely prepared to dedicate a large proportion of the next 5-6 years of their life to it. Also I think she gets the idea now that should she eventually become more interested in maths, then FM would be helpful for a maths degree - I reckon we can all stop beating that horse now.
Original post by ClickItBack

Fair point, I agree. That was a little rash of me, thanks for calling me out on it.
Original post by clickitback
let's not get carried away. She's only doing gcses and it seems she's not absolutely certain about doing maths as a degree. Perhaps she likes but doesn't love maths right now, but will do in the future - people's academic interests change over time, particularly so at around this point in their education.

I don't think we should speak in absolutes such as saying she 'certainly shouldn't do a maths degree' (even if you did preface it as stating your opinion) - we should encourage those who have some interest in maths, not be puritans about those who aren't already absolutely prepared to dedicate a large proportion of the next 5-6 years of their life to it. Also i think she gets the idea now that should she eventually become more interested in maths, then fm would be helpful for a maths degree - i reckon we can all stop beating that horse now.

thank you.
Why post something on The Student Room if you're gonna shield yourself from all the criticism? At the end of the day i think you should take on board what ppl say because the world is so competitive and, not saying you will, may go on to regret your decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest