Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The caste system and British Indians watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm expected to marry in my caste or everyone gonna think im a ******** lolllllllll and im in england
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cupcakes87)
    Looool

I really have no idea. In the end they wont have a choice, but along the way there are going to be so many ups and downs. They arent just going to be like 'okay, if thats what you want'. They will most definitley flat out refuse and express their hurt and disappointment but i will be persistant. They wont like it, but i know im not doing anythig wrong. My siblings do shaare the same views but they dont like conflict so may not be happy with me for that reason but they are still young rn, i hope that they want to fight like me. I do love my parents more than anything but i dont want to suffer at the hands of this bs!

Ive just entered into a relationship that my parents will not be told about until the time is right. Its all very new and im with someone that makes me happy and is fully aware of what problems we will most likely face in the future. Im lucky that hes so supportive and understanding and willing to fight for us no matter how long it takes so on that front i will be strong for us both too. I am the eldest but whether i will be able to set an example or not, only time will tell. I hope that i can though for my siblings sake
    Oh no, of course it will take time for them to accept your decision, that's what I meant. I hope they do as well. You're right, there will be many challenges to face but if you make it through hopefully your siblings don't have to go through the same thing.

That's really nice to hear. At least you have someone that understands what you're going through and is willing to support you all the way through - you can take comfort from that if nothing else.

It won't be easy, but time heals - so I wish you the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Oh, that's so ****! I hate that, it should just go.
    Exactly. But that movement needs to come from the grassroot level. If Indians refuse to vote for a party based on caste or reservations, then the parties themselves will be forced to abandon it.

ReputationRep:
    Not indian but either way it's ******** system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    Exactly. But that movement needs to come from the grassroot level. If Indians refuse to vote for a party based on caste or reservations, then the parties themselves will be forced to abandon it.
    Yes, exactly. The change has to come from the people, when will they wake up?...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArbinderSingh98)
    I'm expected to marry in my caste or everyone gonna think im a ******** lolllllllll and im in england
    Be careful, I said that here and got b****ed at lmao

ReputationRep:
    Iyengar Brahmins like Hema Malini are so pale, what are you talking about? It's the minority which are dark skinned due to the reason I mentioned in my post.

Which demons were white? Marco Polo seems to be talking a load of bull
    You do know many of the gods were taken from the natives and infused into Hinduism, Shiva is a black god, hence painted blue. He is the main South Indian god because he was theirs. Vishnu worship was the Aryan thing
    And Krishna/Rama (avatars of Vishnu) are all described as being black or dark skinned and also painted blue. The name Krishna meaning "dark one".

And Shiva is described as being Karpur Gauram : The one who is as pure/white as camphor (found in the Yajur Veda)

There is no denying that a lot of folk/local deities have been incorporated into modern Pauranic Hinduism though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharkindustries)
    I doubt the guy the profile picture of Hitler will understand how the world works, or how the Muslims will subtly say how Islam is great (I believe they all are equally respectable) , but my point is, before one thinks oh that's Indian culture or a Hindu culture, please understand that there is more to it than just the negative aspects...(the same applies to Islam, and no "jihad" is not killing someone on the name of Allah, that is called Wahhabism, so yeah I know my stuff....)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is Putin with a Hitler moustache on.

And try answering the criticism of the Caste System instead of rambling on about Islam.

Before you claimed that the problems with the System are not widespread, which is garbage. That was my issue.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That sucks. Is it easier if you're a guy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preetg97)
    Be careful, I said that here and got b****ed at lmao
    Lool its the truth i feel it first hand!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    That sucks. Is it easier if you're a guy?
    Yhhhhhhhhh lol, it is much easier, but then again your expected to be rich, and not everyone or like 90 percent off people be deemed rich
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yhhhhhhhhh lol, it is much easier, but then again your expected to be rich, and not everyone or like 90 percent off people be deemed rich
    The way forward is clear then: start a business, get £billions and do whatever you want. Or just be a straight up G. :pimp:

ReputationRep:
    The way forward is clear then: start a business, get £billions and do whatever you want. Or just be a straight up G. :pimp:
    I'm just gonna dab

And you didn't even tell bhaiyya

Lool

Aah well, that's great, I'm happy for you, Bitto! :hugs:
    :mmm:

Thank you bhai! :hugs:

Oh no, of course it will take time for them to accept your decision, that's what I meant. I hope they do as well. You're right, there will be many challenges to face but if you make it through hopefully your siblings don't have to go through the same thing.

That's really nice to hear. At least you have someone that understands what you're going through and is willing to support you all the way through - you can take comfort from that if nothing else.

It won't be easy, but time heals - so I wish you the best.
    I really hope they understand! And he is amazing :love: not many people would be willing to wait years and take this bs

Thank you! It means a lot

ReputationRep:
    If the employers are upper caste Indians, being in the UK or India they can't refuse someone a job just for being from a lower caste. Some lower caste Sikh people have faced discrimination if they were working at a higher caste family run business/shop in the UK, but I haven't heard any other stories otherwise. I don't know for sure but if two candidates were going for the same job, the one from the higher caste would have a better chance in theory.
    When working together with other Indians they usually know what this person's caste is but they don't discriminate or treat them differently. The caste discrimination is more on relationships in the UK now.
    Oh right, I've always thought this sort of stuff goes on behind the scenes. For example if there's a new (unrelated) Indian person at a family run firm, I presumed their caste influenced the outcome of their job application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    Oh right, I've always thought this sort of stuff goes on behind the scenes. For example if there's a new (unrelated) Indian person at a family run firm, I presumed their caste influenced the outcome of their job application.
    No, they'd employ them if they need to fill a space but depending on how castist they are, either they'd discriminate or they wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    When working together with other Indians they usually know what this person's caste is but they don't discriminate or treat them differently. The caste discrimination is more on relationships in the UK now.
    How do you know each other's caste?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    How do you know each other's caste?
    Surname usually. You can also tell what part of India someone is from with the surname.

ReputationRep:
    And Krishna/Rama (avatars of Vishnu) are all described as being black or dark skinned and also painted blue. The name Krishna meaning "dark one".

And Shiva is described as being Karpur Gauram : The one who is as pure/white as camphor (found in the Yajur Veda)

There is no denying that a lot of folk/local deities have been incorporated into modern Pauranic Hinduism though.
    Yo, you know more about hinduism than my two grandmas.

Do you realise what I just said? I said you know more about hinduism more than two orthodox hindu grandmothers.

In other words, you're qualified enough to do a PHd in it.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.