Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever thought about giving blood? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever given blood?
    Yes
    11.99%
    No, but I would like to
    52.74%
    No and I do not want to
    20.27%
    I cannot give blood
    14.99%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    …or have you ever given blood before? Donating blood is an amazing thing to do and you can do it in the knowledge that you're definitely going to be helping someone who desperately needs it. According to the NHS, less than 3% of us give blood but approximately 1 in 5 of us will need a blood transfusion at some point in our lives. They usually rely on the same people repetitively donating. I think if more people knew about the process, it might get more people donating!

I understand that some people mightn't be sure of the whole process so I'll give you a bit of background information in spoilers

What're your thoughts on blood donation? I'd love to know your thoughts on this issue!

Ethan

Q&A's:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Q: Does it hurt?
    Not really. You'll feel a sharp scratch as they insert the needle into your arm, apart from that the process is relatively painless.

Q: How old do you have to be to donate?
    You must be aged seventeen or over to donate blood. You can book in advance of your seventeenth birthday on their site providing you'll be seventeen on the date of donation :yep:

Q: What actually happens?
    The process is relatively simple and it's really easy. I took a friend with me for my first time, I'd recommend this if you're a bit nervous! You'll be invited into the donation centre, you'll hand them your form which you receive in the post a week before donation and they'll get you to read an information booklet that informs you of all of the requirements to donate blood. They'll make sure that you understand everything. Then, you'll be sent into a small consultation area where you'll be asked to give a small sample of your blood to check haemoglobin levels etc. etc. (this doesn't hurt!). Then, you'll be asked to drink at least 500ml of water which they provide. You'll have time to drink this and relax before being asked to lie down in one of the chairs. They'll then find a vein, insert the needle and inform you of the exercises you should do whilst you're donating… (clenching fists, etc.) and then before you know it, you're finished! The best bit is the obligatory biscuits and crisps you'll have afterwards.

Q: OK, this sounds good. What would stop me from donating?
    The NHS' guidelines are very specific about this. I can't detail everything because I'd be here forever. However, the NHS says: "Most people between the ages of 17 and 66 who weigh over 50kg (7st 12lb) and have a good level of general health will be able to donate blood."

Q: What happens to my blood?
    Good question! Your blood will be tested afterwards just to make sure it's able to be used (you'll be informed within a few weeks if it cannot be). Then, it could be used in a variety of ways. Usually, treating blood cancers, aiding childbirth and even those in serious accidents requiring transfusion. (just a few of the uses)

Q: I want to know more, where can I get more information?
    The Blood UK website will give you all of the information you need. You can then book your donation there. :yep:
    I'd never really thought about it, but now I think I'd love to do it!

But the last time I had a blood test, I was anaemic. Hopefully I'm not anymore. :sadpanda:

I think it's great how you're raising awareness about all this tho. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, if people didn't give blood I wouldn't be here now, so thank you to those of you who do.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Amellia123)
    I would like to, however apparently I don't weigh enough (I'm 45kg and apparently yo have to be 50kg?)
    Yeah, it's to do with your blood volume. They'd rather you keep your own blood, be well and take it from a heavier person for whom taking blood isn't an issue, rather than taking it from you and making you ill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Yeah, it's to do with your blood volume. They'd rather you keep your own blood, be well and take it from a heavier person for whom taking blood isn't an issue, rather than taking it from you and making you ill.
    Ah I see, I'm guessing 5'2 and 45kg isn't that safe regarding being a suitable donor then
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Jack1066)
    I donated a few months ago because I was interested in getting my blood type. They said it would be a couple of weeks before I got my donor card in the post but its been 6 months since then and still nothing :/
    That's very strange! Did you register online? They'll have updated your online profile with your information including your blood type: https://blood.co.uk

(Original post by Amellia123)
    I would like to, however apparently I don't weigh enough (I'm 45kg and apparently yo have to be 50kg?)
    They don't strictly check this… a small amount such as 5kg might be OK but the reason this restriction is in place is because those who weigh less will have less blood available that they can function properly without. Does that make sense?! It's worth giving them a ring and asking for some advice.

(Original post by Withengar)
    I should probably start giving out blood since my blood is 0 negative, meaning that everyone can take my blood.
    You definitely should! It's so easy to sign up! https://blood.co.uk — I'm O- too! Twinsies!

(Original post by WBZ144)
    I'm a regular blood donor with the NHS. My blood type is rare in this country so it's hard for them to get hold of donors like me and it takes less than an hour to make a donation. If you haven't donated and can donate I would strongly recommend. There is only a small needle that you barely feel
    You're awesome! :hugs: You're so right and well done on doing something so generous for others

(Original post by EllainKahlo)
    I finished an application form about two years ago but was extremely ill so I just never got around to sending it off.
    Oh no! That's such a shame, if you ever feel like you could go again… https://blood.co.uk , it only takes two minutes! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    That's very strange! Did you register online? They'll have updated your online profile with your information including your blood type: https://blood.co.uk

They don't strictly check this… a small amount such as 5kg might be OK but the reason this restriction is in place is because those who weigh less will have less blood available that they can function properly without. Does that make sense?! It's worth giving them a ring and asking for some advice.

You definitely should! It's so easy to sign up! https://blood.co.uk — I'm O- too! Twinsies!

You're awesome! :hugs: You're so right and well done on doing something so generous for others

Oh no! That's such a shame, if you ever feel like you could go again… https://blood.co.uk , it only takes two minutes! :lol:
    I see what you mean, thank you I will do
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    33 times now I think. Totally worth it. Cried the first 10 times I went because I was terrified but I am much better now.

I've never had CMV which is an infection (cold) that most people have had. This means they give my blood to premature babies and newborns :yes:.

Go team A-!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, but I'm not eligible to donate.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by flyingpanda)
    I'd never really thought about it, but now I think I'd love to do it!

But the last time I had a blood test, I was anaemic. Hopefully I'm not anymore. :sadpanda:

I think it's great how you're raising awareness about all this tho. :yep:
    They will test your haemoglobin levels once you arrive so it's the perfect time to sign up! It's wonderful that you're so eager to do something so generous. Do you know how to register?

(Original post by Sazzy890)
    I agree with you, if people didn't give blood I wouldn't be here now, so thank you to those of you who do.
    I'm so glad you agree! It's such an amazing thing to do, especially considering how much it can help. It's really good to hear from someone who's directly benefitted! :hugs:

(Original post by Neostigmine)
    33 times now I think. Totally worth it. Cried the first 10 times I went because I was terrified but I am much better now.I've never had CMV which is an infection (cold) that most people have had. This means they give my blood to premature babies and newborns .Go team A-!
    33?! That's brilliant! (running out of adjectives ) I was scared of needles before I went but this seemed to totally quell my fears because for once the needle was benefitting others vs. causing me pain and getting not much out of it :lol: — does that even make sense… :dontknow: Hey! I've never had CMV either! That's amazing :yep: — Team O- is on your side :lol:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Yep, but I'm not eligible to donate.
    Awh that's really a shame, but it's the thought and the awareness that means the most :yep: — you can always instead register as an organ donor? Is that something you'd be interested in?

ReputationRep:
    Would not give blood.

Cant risk other people being as intelligent as me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    33?! That's brilliant! (running out of adjectives ) I was scared of needles before I went but this seemed to totally quell my fears because for once the needle was benefitting others vs. causing me pain and getting not much out of it :lol: — does that even make sense… :dontknow: Hey! I've never had CMV either! That's amazing :yep: — Team O- is on your side :lol:
    Do you get the "give this to babies" tag too then? I'd like to give platelets as A- is a universal platelet donor but my veins are too well hidden

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't. Insane phobia of all medical things, including someone putting needles in my veins Also being underweight might be an issue

ReputationRep:
    I'm bi so I'm not allowed unfortunately. I'm rhesus positive too, which is meant to be an important blood group.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Would not give blood.

Cant risk other people being as intelligent as me.
    Hey! You get an award! :woo: :woo: You're the first silly response to this discussion! Congratulations! :excited:

(Original post by Neostigmine)
    Do you get the "give this to babies" tag too then? I'd like to give platelets as A- is a universal platelet donor but my veins are too well hidden
    Yes! I was so excited about it, like you wouldn't believe! Especially when I found out I was O-, because that pushed me even more to donate. I had that problem with my veins in my right arm, so they ended up taking from my left (for some reason, they didn't have the same issue :giggle: and I was told that I could give platelets next time if I wanted to :excited:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Lagomorph)
    I couldn't. Insane phobia of all medical things, including someone putting needles in my veins Also being underweight might be an issue
    Hey — phobia of needles and medical stuff is totally understandable :hugs: the fact you're aware is the most important thing! Have you ever thought about perhaps signing up to the organ donor register? That could be a really amazing thing to do as compromise if you felt up to it!

(Original post by BefuddledPenguin)
    I'm bi so I'm not allowed unfortunately. I'm rhesus positive too, which is meant to be an important blood group.
    That's so unfortunate, I'm sorry for the restrictions the NHS has on blood donation it's such a shame that we've seen so many willing people in this thread who can't simply because of their sexuality. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Hey — phobia of needles and medical stuff is totally understandable :hugs: the fact you're aware is the most important thing! Have you ever thought about perhaps signing up to the organ donor register? That could be a really amazing thing to do as compromise if you felt up to it!
    Hmm. I'll think about it!
    Wait... Do they discriminate against non-straight people too? Aw man...

ReputationRep:
    …or have you ever given blood before? Donating blood is an amazing thing to do and you can do it in the knowledge that you're definitely going to be helping someone who desperately needs it. According to the NHS, less than 3% of us give blood but approximately 1 in 5 of us will need a blood transfusion at some point in our lives. They usually rely on the same people repetitively donating. I think if more people knew about the process, it might get more people donating!

I understand that some people mightn't be sure of the whole process so I'll give you a bit of background information in spoilers

What're your thoughts on blood donation? I'd love to know your thoughts on this issue!

Ethan

Q&A's:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Q: Does it hurt?
    Not really. You'll feel a sharp scratch as they insert the needle into your arm, apart from that the process is relatively painless.

Q: How old do you have to be to donate?
    You must be aged seventeen or over to donate blood. You can book in advance of your seventeenth birthday on their site providing you'll be seventeen on the date of donation :yep:

Q: What actually happens?
    The process is relatively simple and it's really easy. I took a friend with me for my first time, I'd recommend this if you're a bit nervous! You'll be invited into the donation centre, you'll hand them your form which you receive in the post a week before donation and they'll get you to read an information booklet that informs you of all of the requirements to donate blood. They'll make sure that you understand everything. Then, you'll be sent into a small consultation area where you'll be asked to give a small sample of your blood to check haemoglobin levels etc. etc. (this doesn't hurt!). Then, you'll be asked to drink at least 500ml of water which they provide. You'll have time to drink this and relax before being asked to lie down in one of the chairs. They'll then find a vein, insert the needle and inform you of the exercises you should do whilst you're donating… (clenching fists, etc.) and then before you know it, you're finished! The best bit is the obligatory biscuits and crisps you'll have afterwards.

Q: OK, this sounds good. What would stop me from donating?
    The NHS' guidelines are very specific about this. I can't detail everything because I'd be here forever. However, the NHS says: "Most people between the ages of 17 and 66 who weigh over 50kg (7st 12lb) and have a good level of general health will be able to donate blood."

Q: What happens to my blood?
    Good question! Your blood will be tested afterwards just to make sure it's able to be used (you'll be informed within a few weeks if it cannot be). Then, it could be used in a variety of ways. Usually, treating blood cancers, aiding childbirth and even those in serious accidents requiring transfusion. (just a few of the uses)

Q: I want to know more, where can I get more information?
    The Blood UK website will give you all of the information you need. You can then book your donation there. :yep:
    I have done it a few times before but I stopped after I had an unpleasant experience donating

ReputationRep:
    I'm too petite to give blood. Had to cancel the appointment.

ReputationRep:
    The needle isn't big at all! About as thick as an HB pencil graphite and about 3-4cm long. It doesn't hurt at all, I promise :yep:
    If you say so. I'll definitely do it sometime, perhaps when it's summer.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.