Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The most disappointing game you've ever brought Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocoholic_x)
    What's wrong with Dragon: Age Inquisition? :shock:

I know this is quite controversial and I might get a lot of hate for this, but for me, it would have to be Undertale.

There was just too much hype for that game, that I was left feeling quite disappointed when I was encouraged to play it.
    Too much time wasted on getting power just to do a quest. I'm sure the story is probably pretty good later on, but I don't have time for gathering power!! Really puts me off a game!! It's sorta expected in an RPG that someone would explore the game anyway, and wouldn't need the incentive (power) to do so!! As for the combat, don't get me started, that's just a massive failure IMO!! :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Too much time wasted on getting power just to do a quest. I'm sure the story is probably pretty good later on, but I don't have time for gathering power!! Really puts me off a game!! It's sorta expected in an RPG that someone would explore the game anyway, and wouldn't need the incentive (power) to do so!! As for the combat, don't get me started, that's just a massive failure IMO!! :sad:
    Ah, I see. I'm a bit of a completionist so obtaining power wasn't really an issue, I think. At least, I didn't notice it influencing my play-style. I understand what you mean about the combat. I was slightly disappointed it was more action-focused than Dragon Age: Origins, where the combat required a bit more strategy and micro-managing.

I guess the main thing I enjoyed about it (as in Dragon Age: Origins as well) were the companions, and I don't think it failed in that respect. I've never reacted more emotionally to a game than after:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the final twist at the end, when Solas' true identity is revealed. It was especially heart-breaking given that I had romanced him

I was shocked and in mourning for days. And if a fictional game can make me react that violently, I guess it shows how much of an immersive experience it was for me.

What RPGs have you really enjoyed?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see. I'm a bit of a completionist so obtaining power wasn't really an issue, I think. At least, I didn't notice it influencing my play-style. I understand what you mean about the combat. I was slightly disappointed it was more action-focused than Dragon Age: Origins, where the combat required a bit more strategy and micro-managing.

I guess the main thing I enjoyed about it (as in Dragon Age: Origins as well) were the companions, and I don't think it failed in that respect. I've never reacted more emotionally to a game than after:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the final twist at the end, when Solas' true identity is revealed. It was especially heart-breaking given that I had romanced him

I was shocked and in mourning for days. And if a fictional game can make me react that violently, I guess it shows how much of an immersive experience it was for me.

What RPGs have you really enjoyed?
    I'm a completionist too, at least where trophies are concerned, but when you've got a game like that, and 20 others in your backlog it's just something that'll sit there until I've got through some of the more enjoyable ones! Origins was better?

Well I've played a few, but the ones I've enjoyed the most would probably be Sword Art Online: Lost Song, and Hyperdimension Neptunia!! I still need to sink my teeth into Nights of Azure, but I'll do that when uni isn't plastering me with work.. Which is in around 3 weeks!!

How about you, which RPGs have you enjoyed?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a completionist too, at least where trophies are concerned, but when you've got a game like that, and 20 others in your backlog it's just something that'll sit there until I've got through some of the more enjoyable ones! Origins was better?

Well I've played a few, but the ones I've enjoyed the most would probably be Sword Art Online: Lost Song, and Hyperdimension Neptunia!! I still need to sink my teeth into Nights of Azure, but I'll do that when uni isn't plastering me with work.. Which is in around 3 weeks!!

How about you, which RPGs have you enjoyed?
    Aha, I see what you mean. I've taken a similar stance to The Witcher. I bought the trilogy due to all the hype surrounding the third one. But the first one is such a slog to get through. And I can't shake off my completionist attitude. I'm just sat there, going through every side quest and collecting every card for sleeping with various women (which as a principle, I have issues with) in a game I don't really enjoy, just because I wouldn't be happy with myself if I left it incomplete.

Ohhh I've haven't played any of those! Are they all JRPGs? Which one would you recommend the most? Hmm well as I say, I really enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins, probably my favourite game. Skyrim and Oblivion are classics as well. As of recently, though, I've really got into Stardew Valley. Not sure it counts as a pure RPG but it has the tag and it's got me hooked. It's such a charming game.

And yeahhh... university work. Tell me about it. :ashamed2: My dissertation is due in 55 hours time and I haven't started writing yet. Instead I'm on here talking about games.

ReputationRep:
    Aha, I see what you mean. I've taken a similar stance to The Witcher. I bought the trilogy due to all the hype surrounding the third one. But the first one is such a slog to get through. And I can't shake off my completionist attitude. I'm just sat there, going through every side quest and collecting every card for sleeping with various women (which as a principle, I have issues with) in a game I don't really enjoy, just because I wouldn't be happy with myself if I left it incomplete.

Ohhh I've haven't played any of those! Are they all JRPGs? Which one would you recommend the most? Hmm well as I say, I really enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins, probably my favourite game. Skyrim and Oblivion are classics as well. As of recently, though, I've really got into Stardew Valley. Not sure it counts as a pure RPG but it has the tag and it's got me hooked. It's such a charming game.

And yeahhh... university work. Tell me about it. :ashamed2: My dissertation is due in 55 hours time and I haven't started writing yet. Instead I'm on here talking about games.
    Yeah tell me about it! The torture I put myself through trying to complete Legend of Korra on Ace bending!! I swear Platinum Games have got a serious problem with dishing out out useless team mates! :sad:

Yeah they all are!! Nights of Azure recently got ported to the west! I'd personally go with Sword Art Online! It's the one I enjoyed the most anyway! I think a lot of games these days are given the tag, but can't say I've heard of the game

Speaking of dissertation, had out lecturer bigging it up today saying if you don't start before Summer then it's a nasty feat! They've got a pretty tight schedule though since there's like.. Proposal, then specification, then poster, then submission of the report, then demo the product or show your findings!! :sad:

That's how life needs to be y'know!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah tell me about it! The torture I put myself through trying to complete Legend of Korra on Ace bending!! I swear Platinum Games have got a serious problem with dishing out out useless team mates! :sad:

Yeah they all are!! Nights of Azure recently got ported to the west! I'd personally go with Sword Art Online! It's the one I enjoyed the most anyway! I think a lot of games these days are given the tag, but can't say I've heard of the game

Speaking of dissertation, had out lecturer bigging it up today saying if you don't start before Summer then it's a nasty feat! They've got a pretty tight schedule though since there's like.. Proposal, then specification, then poster, then submission of the report, then demo the product or show your findings!! :sad:

That's how life needs to be y'know!
    Aha yeah, if only I had the same motivation to get through something so exhausting in my uni life, as I do when gaming.

Ah okay, I've never really got into JRPGs before! Well, I tried The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky but I gave up in the end. I guess that might not be a good example of the genre?

Ah I see, so you're a second year... studying? To be fair, I did technically start my dissertation project at the beginning of the academic year (and chose what I wanted to do over summer). And I've spent hundreds of hours collecting data, it's just the last bit of writing it up... I've bought myself two litres of Lucozade so I'm hoping I can power through it!

ReputationRep:
    Aha yeah, if only I had the same motivation to get through something so exhausting in my uni life, as I do when gaming.

Ah okay, I've never really got into JRPGs before! Well, I tried The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky but I gave up in the end. I guess that might not be a good example of the genre?

Ah I see, so you're a second year... studying? To be fair, I did technically start my dissertation project at the beginning of the academic year (and chose what I wanted to do over summer). And I've spent hundreds of hours collecting data, it's just the last bit of writing it up... I've bought myself two litres of Lucozade so I'm hoping I can power through it!
    :rofl: If only.. :daydreaming:

Some of them are good... But some of them are very... Freaky.. Well actually, heavy in fan service!! Tbf, it's developed by Nihon Falcom which is a Japanese firm, and it has Japanese artwork, so it's good enough for an example!

I'm doing Networks & Security.. Sometimes I wish I could forget though! You can do it :gthumb: just reward yourself afterwards with a new game or something!

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: If only.. :daydreaming:

Some of them are good... But some of them are very... Freaky.. Well actually, heavy in fan service!! Tbf, it's developed by Nihon Falcom which is a Japanese firm, and it has Japanese artwork, so it's good enough for an example!

I'm doing Networks & Security.. Sometimes I wish I could forget though! You can do it :gthumb: just reward yourself afterwards with a new game or something!
    By that, you mean the female characters are all heavilyy infantilised and sexualised at the same time? Oh yeah, I meant whether or not the game was a good example of the best that the genre has to offer? Because as much of a completionist that I am, I just couldn't sit through all of it.

Oh! That sounds... I'm not exactly sure what that is. You not enjoying it? I've asked my housemate for some coffee to go with the Lucozade and she's not supplying it, saying that I've had enough...

ReputationRep:
    By that, you mean the female characters are all heavilyy infantilised and sexualised at the same time? Oh yeah, I meant whether or not the game was a good example of the best that the genre has to offer? Because as much of a completionist that I am, I just couldn't sit through all of it.

Oh! That sounds... I'm not exactly sure what that is. You not enjoying it? I've asked my housemate for some coffee to go with the Lucozade and she's not supplying it, saying that I've had enough...
    Yeah just check this out! Ohh, for that game, I wouldn't know much about it, but since it was like 5 years ago I'd probably say definitely not!! There's some good ones out there! But then there's some really crappy ones!! Most people on my friends list on the PS4 import a lot of JRGPs! Should try Star Ocean! :rofl:

Yeah everyone says the same!! Kinda used to it no!! I'm enjoying it a lot, but the problem is this year has just been so much writing it's almost unbelievable! Should go get yourself a can on Lemon Ice Relentless!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just check this out! Ohh, for that game, I wouldn't know much about it, but since it was like 5 years ago I'd probably say definitely not!! There's some good ones out there! But then there's some really crappy ones!! Most people on my friends list on the PS4 import a lot of JRGPs! Should try Star Ocean! :rofl:

Yeah everyone says the same!! Kinda used to it no!! I'm enjoying it a lot, but the problem is this year has just been so much writing it's almost unbelievable! Should go get yourself a can on Lemon Ice Relentless!!
    Oh wow... She looks pre-pubescent! I'm not really surprised though, there was a lot of that back when I was really into anime a few years ago. :erm: Ah okay, I might have a bit of a gander in the summer, once I've graduated and have nothing to do with my life. Are any good ones available on PC?

Oh right, that's annoying. What would you rather be doing, like, programming? That comes into it, right? I think all the shops round where I live has closed now, but it's alright. My housemate has relented, and handed over the goods I sorely crave.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow... She looks pre-pubescent! I'm not really surprised though, there was a lot of that back when I was really into anime a few years ago. :erm: Ah okay, I might have a bit of a gander in the summer, once I've graduated and have nothing to do with my life. Are any good ones available on PC?

Oh right, that's annoying. What would you rather be doing, like, programming? That comes into it, right? I think all the shops round where I live has closed now, but it's alright. My housemate has relented, and handed over the goods I sorely crave.
    Yup! There's still a tonne of anime these days! Each season there's a fair few series with some element of fan service!! Gotta have that break! If my dissertation (when I get there) gets torn apart, after I graduate I'll be booking a nice holiday somewhere!

Guess they've got the Final Fantasy series, Hyperdimension (Dunno if you'll like it), Tales of [x] series. They're the ones I know of, haven't really invested much into PC gaming.. With my sub par PC that barely plays Tomb Raider. :sad: More of a console gamer

Definitely not!! I hate programming!! I like what I'm doing but the amount of writing is incredible, sat through a painful 2 hour exam last semester, walked out thinking I broke my wrist! They always give in.. Eventually!

ReputationRep:
    So what's the most disappointing game you've brought, be it on a whim, or a serious purchase?

For me it'd be Dragon Age: Inquisition.
    Can we not forget the trainwreck that was Civilization: Beyond Earth

ReputationRep:
    Dark Souls 2.

ReputationRep:
    So what's the most disappointing game you've brought, be it on a whim, or a serious purchase?

For me it'd be Dragon Age: Inquisition.
    Would have to agree. On the other hand would have to say Dragon Age origins was amazing, and 2 was pretty good too.

(Original post by Lacesso)
    Dark Souls 2.
    It wasn't a bad game, just didn't have the same effect as 1 :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure someone will have mentioned it but the new Star Wars: Battlefront. No campign, no galactic conquest, if you remove the "levelling" system the game has maybe a couple hours content and with the season pass costs over £100.

ReputationRep:
    FIFA 15.

Having played none since FIFA 10, I quickly realised it was FIFA 10 with more complicated tackling and a multiplayer mode with a broken economy added on.

ReputationRep:
    Yup! There's still a tonne of anime these days! Each season there's a fair few series with some element of fan service!! Gotta have that break! If my dissertation (when I get there) gets torn apart, after I graduate I'll be booking a nice holiday somewhere!

Guess they've got the Final Fantasy series, Hyperdimension (Dunno if you'll like it), Tales of [x] series. They're the ones I know of, haven't really invested much into PC gaming.. With my sub par PC that barely plays Tomb Raider. :sad: More of a console gamer

Definitely not!! I hate programming!! I like what I'm doing but the amount of writing is incredible, sat through a painful 2 hour exam last semester, walked out thinking I broke my wrist! They always give in.. Eventually!
    Yeah it's kinda what turned me off anime series in the end. Still love love love Studio Ghibli films though! My mum's Japanese so I grew up watching them instead of Disney films. So much nostalgia.

Oh yeah, Final Fantasy is another one I've never tried before. Might try one of the more popular ones in the series at some point! Ah I see, I don't really not much about console gaming either to be fair!

Aha, I see sorry for thinking otherwise! Ughh yeah, I had that last year too. I had two exams on the same day, they were both three hours long. I felt like I caught in glimpse into what my wrists would feel like if I was a chronic masturbater...

Anyway my dissertation is done now, hence the late reply. It was a pile of ****, but it's done.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's kinda what turned me off anime series in the end. Still love love love Studio Ghibli films though! My mum's Japanese so I grew up watching them instead of Disney films. So much nostalgia.

Oh yeah, Final Fantasy is another one I've never tried before. Might try one of the more popular ones in the series at some point! Ah I see, I don't really not much about console gaming either to be fair!

Aha, I see sorry for thinking otherwise! Ughh yeah, I had that last year too. I had two exams on the same day, they were both three hours long. I felt like I caught in glimpse into what my wrists would feel like if I was a chronic masturbater...

Anyway my dissertation is done now, hence the late reply. It was a pile of ****, but it's done.
    Yeah definitely, though, admittedly there's still a fair few shows that get the right balance!! Can you speak Japanese at all?

Yeah you definitely need to, haven't lived until you've tried their games! Personally I'd go for the linear ones first, so you feel that much better going into the bigger ones (linear: Type-0, XIII/-2, Lightning Returns)

Easy mistake, as it's quite likeable with most people! Hate written exams, but that's only because the only time I ever use a pen is to do my signature.

Can't be that bad? But congratulations!! Knowing I'm stepping on the plate is quite scary since it was FYP demo day today! :hmmmm:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Also gonna add Rome 2 and Attila Total War along with a list of reasons

Rome 2:
    Sieges went back to medieval 1, infantry etc can destroy gates (wtf)
    Collision models don't work properly and units will morph through each other
    Piss easy
    Limited building system was **** especially with only having some buildings in a regions capital
    So many factions to wait for later on when you end a turn
    AI more ******ed (was ironic how in a interview they were excited about some new AI team, gj guys)
    Glitches still present a year in (heard it was awful on release)
    More features which made the game more boring

Attila:
    Basically everything above with some of them being even more ridiculous especially AI some-****in-how (my standard garrisons could repel 4 onagers and a load of heavy infantry)
    Most factions are un-enjoyable to play (wtf hordes sucked here)
    Even more features which made the game more boring (wtf was the politics)

ReputationRep:
    Little Big Planet or FIFA 14 I think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.