Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The most Overrated and Underrated Universities in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antebellum)
    What are the reasons and experiences as to why you hate it?
    He's a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    He's a troll.
    Obviously studied media at Coventry University and holds some deep resentment for moderately good universities.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Why are you always so negative?
    Cuz, I'm a negative nancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Actually in many cases, like mine, the overrated universities are the ones we actually go to. They were made to sound a lot better than they actually are. Especially the big name ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well obviously a University is going to try to have a positive advertising campaign.

Everyone expects to go to uni and be spoon fed a degree, just because they go to a better University. I'd argue it's the other way around - the better University you go, the harder the workload.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Well obviously a University is going to try to have a positive advertising campaign.

Everyone expects to go to uni and be spoon fed a degree, just because they go to a better University. I'd argue it's the other way around - the better University you go, the harder the workload.
    I don't think they're talking about the 'workload'. They're more making a comment about the material, support systems, career guidance etc, the other intagible things that universities may wax lyrical about yet don't quite deliver on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Wtf?
    All threads on student room are people saying how bad it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie S)
    All threads on student room are people saying how bad it is.
    I'd say it's a mix but certainly it ranks well. Higher than Imperial which in my opinion is not true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Cuz, I'm a negative nancy.
    Clearly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas_97)
    Overrated: Warwick (only good for Econ), Nottingham and UCL
    Underrated: Bath and St Andrews
    Maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Along with places like Bath and Sussex it is a popular choice for people who didn't quite make it into Russell Group unis.

Hence why almost 30% of their intake each year are privately educated students.
    I rejected 3 RGs to come to Bath, most of the people I know did something similar, usually with a middling RG as insurance, some got to Oxbridge entrance exams. Maybe your perspective was true a decade or so ago but certainly not today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I'd say it's a mix but certainly it ranks well. Higher than Imperial which in my opinion is not true
    Yeah its an amazing university but international rankings give students an inflated ego, it's probably the weakest of the 3 "big" London unis still excellent though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pro Crastination)
    I rejected 3 RGs to come to Bath, most of the people I know did something similar, usually with a middling RG as insurance, some got to Oxbridge entrance exams. Maybe your perspective was true a decade or so ago but certainly not today.
    Yeah I don't understand the hard-on for RGs, its normally people from those middling RGs that make a big deal out of it dont see oxbridge/imperial/UCL students making a big deal of it.

ReputationRep:
    Underrated: Oxford, Imperial, Warwick
    Overrated: Everything else, especially KCL and Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oilfreak1)
    Yeah I don't understand the hard-on for RGs, its normally people from those middling RGs that make a big deal out of it dont see oxbridge/imperial students making a big deal of it.
    Exactly, originally I was going to insure with Birmingham but during their open day the lecturer made a huge deal out of how important RG status was and what it meant careers-wise (lol), whereas York actually talked about their research and what they offered students academically, only a passing mention of RG status, was far more impressed and subsequently insured with them.

Also I say this in every 'underrated uni' thread: Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, originally I was going to insure with Birmingham but during their open day the lecturer made a huge deal out of how important RG status was and what it meant careers-wise (lol), whereas York actually talked about their research and what they offered students academically, only a passing mention of RG status, was far more impressed and subsequently insured with them.
    It's funny because RG means almost nothing career wise yet they bang on about it. I did my undergrad at an RG (Manchester), so i'm not saying this because i'm bitter about an RG rejection or anything lol.

ReputationRep:

Fair point.

I guess 'Russell Group' University still carries some weight.

Bath probably is equal to somewhere like Leeds Or Sheffield in most subjects. Having said that I doubt anyone would pick Bath over an RG for English.

But it's among the best in the country for Engineering and Maths I think.

RG is largely overrated anyway tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd applied to Bath and Southampton. I think they're very underrated, and excellent for engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Fair point.

I guess 'Russell Group' University still carries some weight.

Bath probably is equal to somewhere like Leeds Or Sheffield in most subjects. Having said that I doubt anyone would pick Bath over an RG for English.

But it's among the best in the country for Engineering and Maths I think.

RG is largely overrated anyway tbh.

You're quite right there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PLM98)
    :toofunny:
    This has to be one of the best response of this whole thread. Well said broooo 👌🏽👍🏽👍🏽🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Overrated: LSE, UCL, KCL (deffffffoooooo), St Andrews, Lancaster (it's not really a top 10-11 uni.. )
    Underrated: Bath, Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Loughborough, UEA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah Prince, surly you would add Warwrick to the overrated list.....

Overrated- LSE, UCL, Warwick.......................

Underrated- Caltech (genuinely couldn't think of one in the UK)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.