Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you live for eternity if given the chance to? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you want to live for eternity?
    No
    60.89%
    Yes
    39.11%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Not as Clark Kent he can't, because it's his secret identity. Only as Superman
    He could still fly as Clark Kent - presumably he could fly so fast that nobody would even see him.

Although I guess if he did that his civilian clothes might burn off due to air friction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    He could still fly as Clark Kent - presumably he could fly so fast that nobody would even see him.

Although I guess if he did that his civilian clothes might burn off due to air friction.
    I don't think so, he'd still have his bioaura or whatever he has even as Clark Kent. Even going at the speed of light he still might get noticed taking off or landing

ReputationRep:
    You mean existing for eternity? That's what I have been seeking. And I think I have found the clue to that eternity. No boredom. No pain. No suffering. Happy forever.:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    You mean existing for eternity? That's what I have been seeking. And I think I have found the clue to that eternity. No boredom. No pain. No suffering. Happy forever.:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Living for eternity by being immortal does not mean that you are invulnerable and insensitive to pain automatically. You can still be hurt, but not die, that is all and no contradiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Living for eternity by being immortal does not mean that you are invulnerable and insensitive to pain automatically. You can still be hurt, but not die, that is all and no contradiction.
    You can still die if you are immortal if you consider the notion of biological immortality which is what will realistically be available probably within the next century.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    You can still die if you are immortal if you consider the notion of biological immortality which is what will realistically be available probably within the next century.
    The biological immortallity was considered by myself yet. When I am thinking about immortality, I really mean TRUE immortality, that is to say no one can be died by taking damages or in a biological way.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Kallisto;63915659]Living for eternity by being immortal does not mean that you are invulnerable and insensitive to pain automatically. You can still be hurt, but not die, that is all and no contradiction.

Lol. If you could be just like emptiness , you would become immortal.
    Nothing can hurt emptiness. And emptiness always exists.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=skunkboy;63944885]

Lol. If you could be just like emptiness , you would become immortal.
    Nothing can hurt emptiness. And emptiness always exists.
    And hurting is living. So many people talk about getting bored, sad, crazy because of the biological immortality coming within the next decades. They're complaining about the life they're already living and are blind to the importance of awful emotions, without them we can't learn and grow. I hope anyone that takes immortality feels fear, loss and sorrow. So many people at the end of their lives die happy because they've only recently learned from their own lives. Imagine what kind of world we'd live in if people lived long enough to act on the lessons of their life.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    [QUOTE=Sug4rkane;63946247]
    (Original post by skunkboy)

And hurting is living. So many people talk about getting bored, sad, crazy because of the biological immortality coming within the next decades. They're complaining about the life they're already living and are blind to the importance of awful emotions, without them we can't learn and grow. I hope anyone that takes immortality feels fear, loss and sorrow. So many people at the end of their lives die happy because they've only recently learned from their own lives. Imagine what kind of world we'd live in if people lived long enough to act on the lessons of their life.
    Except I expect they wouldn't learn because how much of a factor does their impending death and the reflection it brings contribute, if that impending death doesn't come then nor does the learning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Jammy Duel;63946383]
    (Original post by Sug4rkane)

Except I expect they wouldn't learn because how much of a factor does their impending death and the reflection it brings contribute, if that impending death doesn't come then nor does the learning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Learning comes from reflecting on our mistakes and opinions to become better people, not impending death. I suspect anyone that has to rely on the death of themselves for reflection will be the ~66% not looking to live forever. People say immortality will come first to the tested upon and the rich but I suspect a lot of the wrongdoing rich won't want to live in a world shaped by their choices and either won't accept it or change because their decisions would actually matter. Do you think Clinton would actually be conscious of the environment if she had to live with the consequences of her actions 200 years from now?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Learning comes from reflecting on our mistakes and opinions to become better people, not impending death. I suspect anyone that has to rely on the death of themselves for reflection will be the ~66% not looking to live forever. People say immortality will come first to the tested upon and the rich but I suspect a lot of the wrongdoing rich won't want to live in a world shaped by their choices and either won't accept it or change because their decisions would actually matter. Do you think Clinton would actually be conscious of the environment if she had to live with the consequences of her actions 200 years from now?
    Part of not being bound by petty morality now involves likely not being bound for it in the future, you have to remember the Clinton is in that group of people who it doesn't matter what happens, life will continue as normal.

ReputationRep:
    It appears people don't know what biological immortality is if they're still complaining about being bored with life. Something biologically immortal can still die or be killed so if they were sick of life then they could just stop their genetic telomere treatment and die naturally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    It appears people don't know what biological immortality is if they're still complaining about being bored with life. Something biologically immortal can still die or be killed so if they were sick of life then they could just stop their genetic telomere treatment and die naturally.
    Fine in theory but in practise most people dont have the guts even if it simply meant stopping their genetic telomere treatment whatever the hell that is.

Thus not only would you be bored you'd hate yourself

Not only that but you'd witness Arsenal winning the Champions League
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by moggis)
    (...)
    Not only that but you'd witness Arsenal winning the Champions League
    I am sure that will happen in this century, say in the next 50 years. I suppose that you are very young. You have good chances to witness it. In an eternity, the mankind will not exist anylonger.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure that will happen in this century, say in the next 50 years. I suppose that you are very young. You have good chances to witness it. In an eternity, the mankind will not exist anylonger.
    I didn't understand your last sentence.

I won't be alive in 50 years.

And evenif I was given the chance to live another 50 years I wouldn't take it.

The question shouldn't be would you want to live forever but would you want to live another 500 years if you knew for certain that there would be no end to all the suffering in the world.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by moggis)
    I didn't understand your last sentence.

I won't be alive in 50 years.

And evenif I was given the chance to live another 50 years I wouldn't take it.

The question shouldn't be would you want to live forever but would you want to live another 500 years if you knew for certain that there would be no end to all the suffering in the world.
    Eternity is a limitless period of time, over billions of years. I don't think that the mankind still exist in another billions of years. Personally, I would not live another 500 years, if I know that there is no end of suffering in the next centuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    The whole concept of the afterlife and living for eternity used to excite me when I was a young girl but now the whole idea of living for eternity, not only confuses me but it doesn't sound very satisfying to me anymore. And if I was giving the chance to live in a paradise for ever i doubt i would be entirely happy there anyway. The idea that I would be doing pretty much the same thing daily would suck the life out of me and would bring no meaning in life. I guess that having a limited time in life gives us motivation to fufil your dreams in a given time?

So, what do you think of living for eternity?
    Time is passing far, far too fast for my liking. But I don't know about living for ever, particularly since the planet, sun etc. aren't going to survive that long - I don't want to be stuck alive and alone in an empty void. I think I'd quite like an extension of at least a few centuries though.

ReputationRep:
    Time will begin to move a lot faster as you age. lets say we live to 100 years old then a year is only 1% of your life where as if you are 10,000 years old then a year will be 0.01% of your life. What I mean by this is time appears to go faster as you age. So if you could live forever imagine you reach 100 million years old then think about how quick a year will pass for you. You could watch the world change before your eyes.

I could be wrong doe and you could have just been trying to kill your self for 100 million years which would mean the years just drag along. I have a headache now thinking about it

ReputationRep:
    Living forever in heaven would be awesome, things just keep getting better and better, and you'd never get bored, however on earth it would get boring and after few thousand years you'd be fed up with it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't personally understand why anyone wouldn't want to live for eternity.
    People say you'll get bored and such but with technology advancing, there's always room to expand your already massive horizons. Family dying would suck, but time heals wounds and that's one thing you'll have in abudance. Perhaps life would lose it's pleasure if you know you're going to live forever, but I'm not sure.

Even at the end of the universe, where nothing exists, you could probably find a way to start a new big bang or something.
    I could shape the universe to my liking. I would basically be a God.

Fear me. I would be one of those ******** vengeful Gods.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.