Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Government spends £9.3m of YOUR money on EU Propaganda leaflets Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The electoral commission have now come down hard on the decision saying it should not have happened, and despite the EU itself not being big fans of referendums, or more specifically their result when they get the "wrong" result:
    Attachment 520315
    Now that's a classic example of Leave being highly selective in its so-called 'evidence'.

Those times where countries were 'made' to vote again was in fact where the respective governments identified what had caused the defeat, secure further concessions at the EU level, and return with a better deal. Look at the Irish and Danish referendums and what changes occurred.

The alternative is that they abandon an entire treaty (which the governments on the whole support), and potentially suffer economically or politically.

Your assumption that NO votes in past referendums indicates some kind of endemic objection by people in those countries to entire treaties is flawed at its most generous, and downright malicious at worst.

Even their guidelines say "DO NOT DO THIS!!!"
    Attachment 520315520317

The picture doesn't want to load properly, so point 13. on page 17 here http://www.venice.coe.int/webforms/d...-AD(2007)008-e
    Sorry, are you saying this is EU guidelines? Or UK Government?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    27 million pro EU leaflets to be sent out next week at a cost of £9.3m pounds.

Disgusting

http://news.sky.com/story/1673902/go...ro-eu-leaflets
    Oh no, I'll be writing to my local MP demanding my 15p back

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    The electoral commission have now come down hard on the decision saying it should not have happened
    Do you have a link for that?

Even their guidelines say "DO NOT DO THIS!!!"
    Attachment 520315520317

The picture doesn't want to load properly, so point 13. on page 17 here
    Since we're not in the official campaign period I don't think that rule applies. In any case it's just a recomendation, it doesn't have any weight behind it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Ah right I suppose the law doesn't matter then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What law have they broken? If a law has been broken why dont the Outters sue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Disgusting
    I'm not even joking when I say this: you literally took the word out of my mouth. That is exactly what I was going to post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    What law have they broken? If a law has been broken why dont the Outters sue?
    I've looked it up we are a few days until the law becomes applicable.

So yep they left it to the last minute and spent public money

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    I've looked it up we are a few days until the law becomes applicable.

So yep they left it to the last minute and spent public money
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    So they haven't broken the law then? Glad we covered that up.

The government is advocating IN and a majority of the public is undecided, of course they are going to put their opinions forth, it would be stupid and indeed reckless for them not to.

EDIT: Also, the government recently spent money advertising their policy for shared parental leave because not enough people knew about it. Should they be criticised for spending tax payers money advocating governmnent policy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    I'm glad they're doing this. The Leave campaign is supported by Rupert Murdoch and all his tabloid rag propaganda machines, manipulating the stupid and the lazy that can't be bothered doing their own research. We need somebody to get the facts out.

Of course the leave voters are making a big fuss because it disrupts their campaign of spreading misinformation, fear and blatant lies. But £9.3m is pennies.
    'I'm annoyed they're doing this. The Stay campaign is supported by David Cameron and all his rag leaflet propaganda machines, manipulating the stupid and the lazy that can't be bothered doing their own research. We need somebody to get the [actual] facts out.

Of course the stay voters aren't making a big fuss because it supports their campaign of spreading misinformation, fear and blatant lies. But £9.3m is [literally] millions.'

The thing with bigotism, which JordanL epitomises, is everything they say is complete and utter ignorant bullsh*t. The proof of this can be seen when you notice that whatever they say can be switched around and completely thrown back at them because it has no substance, it's just 'insult [insert group here] because they're [insult here] because they're wrong [because I disagree with them].'
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Dez)
    Do you have a link for that?

Since we're not in the official campaign period I don't think that rule applies. In any case it's just a recomendation, it doesn't have any weight behind it.
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/eu-referend...ampaign=buffer

Was waiting for something other than guido since people like to get pissy with it even if they tend to be very quick off the mark compared to everything else given the short pieces

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/eu-referend...ampaign=buffer

Was waiting for something other than guido since people like to get pissy with it even if they tend to be very quick off the mark compared to everything else given the short pieces
    "We don't think the government should have done it, but it's not illegal," a spokeswoman for the Electoral Commission told IBTimes UK.

Oh the Humanity!

Imagine how much the Tories would give a toss if some other public body expressed the same view on say, the Bedroom Tax.

ReputationRep:
    Electoral Fraud is what it is, may not be in the eyes of UK law but UK law is wrong to allow this and the law should be changed. Its hardly democratic to use government finances for political argument, looks more like a stunt a third world African dictatorship would pull - Robert Mugabe anyone! Most probably the EU instructed the UK government to do it, it sounds just like there covert undemocratic ways.

If anything I think this will backfire on the government, particularly when the heavily biased patronizing tosh starts hitting peoples doormats complete with cheesy pictures on each page from some PR twit who thinks the words might be too baffling for what they conceive as dumb voters. The government must be desperate if they are willing to dump large amounts of money into this to use taxpayers money to attempt to buy votes. I think voters will see it for what it is and the weak argument of Cameron on Europe and be moved to vote against this charade.

EU has only ever had a poor economic record since its inception, economic crises in recent years and now a immigration/asylum crises when we need to focus on economic matters, not a success story we should associate ourselves with.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "We don't think the government should have done it, but it's not illegal," a spokeswoman for the Electoral Commission told IBTimes UK.

Oh the Humanity!

Imagine how much the Tories would give a toss if some other public body expressed the same view on say, the Bedroom Tax.
    So, which comparable public body are you thinking of that is in the same position with regards to the "Bedroom tax"?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Gavin2016)
    Electoral Fraud is what it is, may not be in the eyes of UK law but UK law is wrong to allow this and the law should be changed. Its hardly democratic to use government finances for political argument, looks more like a stunt a third world African dictatorship would pull - Robert Mugabe anyone! Most probably the EU instructed the UK government to do it, it sounds just like there covert undemocratic ways.If anything I think this will backfire on the government, particularly when the heavily biased patronizing tosh starts hitting peoples doormats complete with cheesy pictures on each page from some PR twit who thinks the words might be too baffling for what they conceive as dumb voters. The government must be desperate if they are willing to dump large amounts of money into this to use taxpayers money to attempt to buy votes. I think voters will see it for what it is and the weak argument of Cameron on Europe and be moved to vote against this charade.EU has only ever had a poor economic record since its inception, economic crises in recent years and now a immigration/asylum crises when we need to focus on economic matters, not a success story we should associate ourselves with.
    No, their time will come, they aren't covered by the relevant laws so if they spend about £9bn campaigning they can say that we have a small budget surplus from the EU, well, if we assume that spending doesn't force us out.

ReputationRep:
    Having read the leaflet, and whether you're for in/out, how can anyone believe this is right is beyond me. Even if you think the EU is better for us all, I'm pretty sure I read no disadvantages to the EU (which I'm sure everyone can agree on, it's not perfect), with some assumptions here and there. Also, does this give the in campaign an unfair advantage in regard to how much can be spent on their campaigns? Either way, it's a load of bs propaganda imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstroNandos)
    Having read the leaflet, and whether you're for in/out, how can anyone believe this is right is beyond me. Even if you think the EU is better for us all, I'm pretty sure I read no disadvantages to the EU (which I'm sure everyone can agree on, it's not perfect), with some assumptions here and there. Also, does this give the in campaign an unfair advantage in regard to how much can be spent on their campaigns? Either way, it's a load of bs propaganda imo
    Indeed also on the point of fairness this won't be lived down by the remain camp after a remain vote as leave will say you outspent us on one leaflet shot before the campaign ever started

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    It is illegal in a certain aspect but the government has worked their way around it so they don't get in trouble. It is essentially securing, buying and fixing the results of the referendum. After the EU referendum, if there is a majority of pro-EU they will be accused of fixing it.

ReputationRep:
    Chris Bryant made the excellent point that the bulk of the media advocating brexit, which has consistently been misleading the public about the EU are all tax exiles who have been costing tax payers far more money than this sum.

ReputationRep:
    So, which comparable public body are you thinking of that is in the same position with regards to the "Bedroom tax"?
    Never mind a public body, the UN has said the bedroom tax is shocking and needs to be axed:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...n-investigator
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's not supposed to portray disadvantages, it's why we should stay, it's the government taking the tiny percentage of their own stuff that shows benefit alone, spinning it to be better, and then printing it

Chris Bryant made the excellent point that the bulk of the media advocating brexit, which has consistently been misleading the public about the EU are all tax exiles who have been costing tax payers far more money than this sum.
    Bryant also showed that he doesn't read the times or telegraph

Never mind a public body, the UN has said the bedroom tax is shocking and needs to be axed:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...n-investigator
    So you're telling me that the UN is the benefits regulator? The electoral commission isn't just a public body, it is THE REGULATOR. BTW, is this the same UN that has China and Zimbabwe lecturing the west over human rights issues because of minor gay rights details and stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you kidding? £9.3 million is absolute peanuts.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.