Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Warwick university investigates racist slurs scrawled on student's bananas Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopefulmedic15)
    You know someone's argument has fallen through when they start pointing out technicalities in word use or grammar. I apologise for my incorrect use of micro-aggression, however I still believe the rest of my point stands :L
    You raised other points?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    You raised other points?
    There's no point substantiating that with a response, obviously a good few people agreed that I had. You just can't admit that your stance was insensitive and ignorant, and you'll try to refute it in your next reply to me now, so I'll just leave this fruitless conversation now.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming she hasn't fabricated it, and I really hope she hasn't, people shouldn't be writing this off as some minor incident. This is hateful slurs being written on someone's food, it should be taken very seriously by the university. I mean at football grounds when we have players chanting monkey noises and throwing bananas they can be banned for years if not life from the stadium, why shouldn't the same action be taken here? University might be more serious than going to a football ground but....don't write ****** on a black girls food if you don't want to be kicked off the course.

I'm a white guy myself but other white guys saying she's stupid to overreact really aren't thinking what it's like when the shoe is on the other foot. If historically white people had been marginalized by blacks and you were living in a black majority country, you then have your black flatmates starting to write very offensive racial slurs on your things, is that really an atmosphere you want to be in? She has no reason to think things won't escalate and I wouldn't blame her for immediately wanting to change her living arrangements if it cannot be worked out who was responsible.

Whoever did it is a utter prick, name and shame, they'll probably want to leave without being kicked off.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Latin Beauty)
    all this proves is black people are still slaves

something happens to u racially and u run to the white man for salvation lmao

instead of coming together as black people....hunt for the folks...investigate yaself and charge em

u run to ol massa for help lmfao!!!
    Pretty sure vigilante justice is legally questionable at the best of times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Pretty sure vigilante justice is legally questionable at the best of times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    u are not a so called minority who has been thru racial issues

u wouldnt understand even if u tried

ReputationRep:
    It's a truly horrible thing to do. However she probably made it through at least 12 years of school, so should be able to cope with some name calling.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm starting to understand British culture a bit more from threads like these. Some of you wrap yourselves in callous insularity and don't give a damn what happens outside your own experience. Sexist discrimination? Man up. Racism too blatant to ignore? Chin up. At least they didn't lynch you.

Now I understand how your leaders can say things like, "Can't afford London unis? Nevermind merit; grow up. London is for the rich." You don't take any responsibility for the impact your ideologies, cloaked as truths, and apathy has on others. You don't believe in human rights such as freedom from fear and discrimination, or freedom to self actualize and thrive. You pretend to champion reason above else, but really you coach your own prejudice, self-interest and ignorance in apathy, ignorance, unencumbered by compassion and call it education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    My argument is with the exaggeration of the issue. I can understand that it could be distressing, but not incredibly. Don't assume.

What else might they do, write coon on an orange? And but a picture of Hitler on her freezer door?

You can have a stereotyped view on any race no matter your race. Just because you are white and haven't experienced racial discrimination doesn't mean other white people haven't. I for one have experienced it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Name calling ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeastOfSyracuse)
    You mean it might have been orchestrated for publicity?

It does seem interesting that they were just left there in the kitchen to be found. If it is a true bill, then it's really horrible and offensive.

But tbh I'm almost a bit cynical about the Twitter/SJW world and we have seen cases before where people have made things up to get kudos in the SJW world.
    Yes I do suspect those who claim harm has been done rather than reporting it to the authorities twitter about it first.

But as I said I'm a massive cynic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopefulmedic15)
    There's no point substantiating that with a response, obviously a good few people agreed that I had. You just can't admit that your stance was insensitive and ignorant, and you'll try to refute it in your next reply to me now, so I'll just leave this fruitless conversation now.
    >Responds anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    Honestly can't say I'm too surprised that this happened. This is the kind of thing that should kick up a ****storm and not all those irrelevant non issues.

Racism needs to end.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ed-on-student/

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/warwi...4ca?edition=uk

On the second banana it's the N word

The guy also put pics of Donald Trump on the fridge in their halls. I don't think this is genuine racism, I just think its someone's idea of a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As a minority, this has made me second guess firming Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Y'all are trippin if you think they shouldnt get punished

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.