The Student Room Group

Im a pharmacist, Ask me (almost) anything?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trustmeimlying1
oh wow.

so I can negotiate with the hospital on that matter. say Il be off for 1 month of my 12 months. itd be great if they were that sound about it.

it depends on the hospital, but effectively yes (I would say community pre-reg you will want to escape as soon as you can vs hospital from personal experience if your in a crap pharmacy, so try 2 weeks if crap or 4 weeks if good)
Original post by quasa
it depends on the hospital, but effectively yes (I would say community pre-reg you will want to escape as soon as you can vs hospital from personal experience if your in a crap pharmacy, so try 2 weeks if crap or 4 weeks if good)
cheers for the advice. whether its boring or not, I want to have an idea of community incase I cant get a hospital job post graduation.

is there a separate pre reg exam for hospital and community?
Original post by trustmeimlying1
cheers for the advice. whether its boring or not, I want to have an idea of community incase I cant get a hospital job post graduation.

is there a separate pre reg exam for hospital and community?

everyone sits the same exam. those in hospital generally do well because they are actually allocated revision time (and have decent lunch breaks). community is unorganised in comparison and virtually no revision breaks except for when you come home (that being said, for the exam itself, you can get away with 8 days revision (structured for 5 hours a day), inclding 3 days worth of past papers). that could be my revision habit as I tend not to revise as much as most people for exams tbh

but practice open book as much as you can as it is vital for timing. (had to sit pre-reg exam twice as I failed calcs by 1 mark due to me mistiming the open book portion - also I did literally1 hour of calcs revision during the entire month leading up to the pre-reg exam. when I resat in september, I finished both open and closed book exams quite early (gphc only gives you actual score when you fail, when you pass, they say you passed, thats it)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by quasa
x

Best and worse thing about being a pharmacist ?
Reply 124
Original post by quasa
this is a normal AMA (ie random questions / random talk etc) but am aware that people have a few health issues they may want to enquire about privately. feel free to ask away.

the following things however will be reported: racism, insulting peoples beliefs / private life (relationships, appearance etc) and insults in general (unless it is insulting trolls, then by all means troll the trolls).

also I will not mention what school of pharmacy I went to as it may inadvertantly reveal my secret ID but am willing to talk about other stuff.

I'm a pharmacist, ask me (almost) anything (no question mark)

Are you a pharmacist?
Original post by quasa
this is a normal AMA (ie random questions / random talk etc) but am aware that people have a few health issues they may want to enquire about privately. feel free to ask away.

the following things however will be reported: racism, insulting peoples beliefs / private life (relationships, appearance etc) and insults in general (unless it is insulting trolls, then by all means troll the trolls).

also I will not mention what school of pharmacy I went to as it may inadvertantly reveal my secret ID but am willing to talk about other stuff.

Is 40 000 IU of Vitamin D medication a lot? Without sounding clearly obvious...
Original post by quasa
not you the motorsport fan, chikane (how do I tag them?)

ok regarding other 2 points.

although whilst im on the topic of your hobbies, which anime you into?

So the best option is most likely not to take em. What about for tablets for acne.
Original post by quasa
everyone sits the same exam. those in hospital generally do well because they are actually allocated revision time (and have decent lunch breaks). community is unorganised in comparison and virtually no revision breaks except for when you come home (that being said, for the exam itself, you can get away with 8 days revision (structured for 5 hours a day), inclding 3 days worth of past papers). that could be my revision habit as I tend not to revise as much as most people for exams tbh

but practice open book as much as you can as it is vital for timing. (had to sit pre-reg exam twice as I failed calcs by 1 mark due to me mistiming the open book portion - also I did literally1 hour of calcs revision during the entire month leading up to the pre-reg exam. when I resat in september, I finished both open and closed book exams quite early (gphc only gives you actual score when you fail, when you pass, they say you passed, thats it)

amazing advice I wish I could thank yeh more!
Original post by Kyx
I'm a pharmacist, ask me (almost) anything (no question mark)

Are you a pharmacist?

thequestion mark was unintentional, otherwise thanks for correcting.
and yes I am a drug dealer
Reply 129
Original post by quasa
thequestion mark was unintentional, otherwise thanks for correcting.
and yes I am a drug dealer

a legal drug dealer?
Original post by Anonymous
Is 40 000 IU of Vitamin D medication a lot? Without sounding clearly obvious...

firstly, yay someone posted anonymously!

secondly it is a lot but its nothing to be embarrassed about tbh (blame UK weather for vit d deficiency)
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Best and worse thing about being a pharmacist ?

best thing is probably the fact that the degree itself is pretty satisfying and there are cases where you can make differences in peoples lives.

worst is the hours, the fact that you have to work for up to 16 hours a day without a toilet or lunch break (or even sitting down) if it is busy, everyone thinks pharmacists are shop keepers/ expects to be receive things the same way they would in mcdo, the fact that it is extremely restrictive in how you can help people. there are a few others but cant be asked ranting :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HuzaifahN
So the best option is most likely not to take em. What about for tablets for acne.

tbh, even though all drugs have side-effects, most have benefits which far outweigh the risks. for acne (assuming your a girl), are you referring to isotretinoin for acne?
(edited 8 years ago)
What deters you from studying medicine as an additional degree, as I've noticed you mentioning that was your original career plan
Original post by quasa
best thing is probably the fact that the degree itself is pretty satisfying and there are cases where you can make differences in peoples lives.

worst is the hours, the fact that you have to work for up to 16 hours a day without a toilet or lunch break (or even sitting down) if it is busy, everyone thinks pharmacists are shop keepers/ expects to be receive things the same way they would in mcdo, the fact that it is extremely restrictive in how you can help people. there are a few others but cant be asked ranting :smile:

that's how med students call pharmacists in France for fun :mmm:

I see , and yeah I know what you mean because I have some pharmacists friends

same way we call surgeons butchers and gp's layabouts :u:

I've never heard that shopkeeper thing before but I like it. Now I can put more people down :mwuaha:
only because I wanted to the 2nd anonymous

What did you get into your gcse's? :smile:

@quasa

Spoiler

I work in a pharmacy (but not going into pharmacy). What would happen if I accidentally sold 110 paracetemols (literally a human error of miscounting) instead of the legal requirement of 100?
Original post by Anonymous
only because I wanted to the 2nd anonymous

What did you get into your gcse's? :smile:

@quasa

I scored badly because I didnt revise lol (2As, 3.5Bs, 2.5Cs. in fairness the 2 As were from double science and I was 6 marks off A*s - school wouldnt let me have it remarked :frown: )

btw, my 786th post on TSR
:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest