Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PhysicsIP2016;65820117]
    Q5 on June 2013 R

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could any help in explaining why the answer is B. Why is charging instantaneous when switch is closed?
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ayvaak;65824885]
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could any help in explaining why the answer is B. Why is charging instantaneous when switch is closed?
    Thanks in advance
    When the switch is closed the capacitor charges up. However, as the capacitor doesn't charge through the resistor there is no resistance when charging. Therefore t = RC = 0, which means the capacitor will charge up instantaneously.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Mowerharvey;65825199]
    (Original post by ayvaak)

When the switch is closed the capacitor charges up. However, as the capacitor doesn't charge through the resistor there is no resistance when charging. Therefore t = RC = 0, which means the capacitor will charge up instantaneously.
    Thank thay was really useful to clear that up.

Could anyone help me with this question. Im not sure where why the frequencies have to be compared?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

Why is initial momentum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also guys. Im not sure how you can simply take the momentums above theta zero from those below the zero to find the muons momentum. Also is the vector diagram that i drew correct. Thanks in advance
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Im probably being stupid but i cant work out why the answer to the question is C and not D

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Im probably being stupid but i cant work out why the answer to the question is C and not D

Posted from TSR Mobile
    An alpha particle has a charge of +2 and a beta particle has a charge of -1. Therefore the alpha particle has 2q in the equation.

ReputationRep:
    I cant quite understand where im going wrong with part bii) any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I cant quite understand where im going wrong with part bii) any help would be greatly appreciated
    Why is the answer B? Im struggling to work out why

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Why is the answer B? Im struggling to work out why

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The charge on an alpha particle is 2+ so you have F of alpha=2Bqv and F of beta=15Bqv so then you divide one by other to get the ratio. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. That makes sense now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mowerharvey)
    An alpha particle has a charge of +2 and a beta particle has a charge of -1. Therefore the alpha particle has 2q in the equation.
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone explain the theory behind the answer in the MS in a little more detail for this question?

Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone help me with derivation from s
    SI units?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    And also in deriving this? Im not quite sure why the answers B? I keep getting D for some reason
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone help me with derivation from s
    SI units?
    F=BIL
    in units: N = T x Amps x m (length)
    therefore T = N / (A x m)

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    And also in deriving this? Im not quite sure why the answers B? I keep getting D for some reason
    Hi. You have the graph of Force and time so the area under the graph represents the momentum. As you get momentum, they have asked to find the speed so you have the mass and momentum also(as you calculated it). Now simply, just substitute the values in the formula for Momentum= Mass multiplied by Velocity and you will get your answer

ReputationRep:
    Area under the graph represents change in momentum, i.e. m(v-u) but since he starts from rest, u = 0. Therefore area under graph = mv

area = 8x5x0.5 = 20
    20 = mv
    20 = 1.5v
    v= 13.3333

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with Q13? I don't even understand what this is asking.. Thanks!

https://60abffc9b401b1c0936e01291c15...%20Physics.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinksmartiee)
    Area under the graph represents change in momentum, i.e. m(v-u) but since he starts from rest, u = 0. Therefore area under graph = mv

area = 8x5x0.5 = 20
    20 = mv
    20 = 1.5v
    v= 13.3333
    (Original post by sabahshahed294)
    Hi. You have the graph of Force and time so the area under the graph represents the momentum. As you get momentum, they have asked to find the speed so you have the mass and momentum also(as you calculated it). Now simply, just substitute the values in the formula for Momentum= Mass multiplied by Velocity and you will get your answer
    (Original post by pinksmartiee)
    F=BIL
    in units: N = T x Amps x m (length)
    therefore T = N / (A x m)

Hope it helps!
    Thanks so much guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also.. Q15)a)iii) and
    Q16b)ii) I don't know where the markscheme got p = E/c from..

http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...e_20110127.pdf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.