Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Maths at A-level and Maths at uni are two very different things. :moon:
    Ain't that the truth! :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    The UK has no codified and or entrenched constitution, unlike the USA. Instead, our 'constitution' has a number of sources, including Parliamentary statutes, conventions (procedures that are not officially recognised, but practiced nonetheless, like waiting for the Queen to call Parliament), common law (the decisions made by judges in court cases), and the EU. None of these are protected against change - save for the EU - which is what differentiates our constitution from ones like America's. Even though some of the EU's laws are protected against change, theoretically the UK could restore sovereignty (ultimate political power) by withdrawing its membership.

That's Government & Politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poooky)
    Are you doing D2? If yes it gets much worse!! Sorry! I gave up on 1/2 the content before the exam, came out with a C, but still got an A overall for AS FM D1 is nicer because the algorithms aren't too bad, and you know what the answer is beforehand
    Good luck though, do all the past papers and I'm sure you'll do very well! There isn't a lot of variety on what they can ask

Chemistry at Oxford now Are you in Yr 12 or 13?
    No, I'm still in AS so I've just done C1, C2 and D1. Wow, you must've had pretty high marks for the other papers :O Wow, I can't believe someone is saying that D1 is nice. I try but I'm not used to revising for Maths and the past papers are so exhausting >.<

Oooh, chemistry! I'm doing AS chemistry now and I hate it so much >.< worst subject ever. Year 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    C4 is the Devil

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fsi_07)
    C4 is the Devil

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also, a weak currency benefits exporting countries as their goods are cheaper and therefore more competitive. So the quantity and value of their exports increases, which could improve their Aggregate Demand and cause economic growth. E.g. China

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sigmund Freud the inventor of psychotherapy was a cocaine addict and obsessed with sex

ReputationRep:
    There are 206 bones in the adult human body, 270 in an infant!

ReputationRep:
    What always gets me are counterintuitive results in maths. e.g. the Koch Snowflake has infinite length but bounds a finite area, or that the area underneath y = \frac{\ln x}{x} between x = 1 and x = a tends to infinity as a tends to infinity, but the volume of the solid formed by rotating that section of the curve 2pi rad around the x-axis tends to a finite limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    What always gets me are counterintuitive results in maths. e.g. the Koch Snowflake has infinite length but bounds a finite area, or that the area underneath y = \frac{\ln x}{x} between x = 1 and x = a tends to infinity as x tends to infinity, but the volume of the solid formed by rotating that section of the curve 2pi rad around the x-axis tends to a finite limit.
    Aye, this basically says you can fill the 'cup' with paint but you can never paint the interior of the cup. :eek3:

(Gabriels horn has a similar result)

ReputationRep:
    Consumption, at around 65%, is the biggest influence of aggregate demand in an economy.

ReputationRep:
    Elizabeth I was a dude.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to put 4 for the subjects I chose to do at A-level (Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology).

The probability that any two people will share the same birthday in a class of 30 is about 70%.

Despite being able to corrode glass, hydrofluoric acid is a weak acid.

If the empty space in atoms was removed, the human race would be able to fit inside the same volume of a sugar cube.

At birth, there are more males than females, however as people grow up the ratio of males to females begins to even out (maybe due to males indulging in more stupid, lethal crap).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    People can suffer from something called prosopagnosia - which is the inability to recognise familiar faces

ReputationRep:
    The photoelectric effect supports the dual particle-wave nature of light as each photon knocks off 1 electron like a particle
    This only works with UV light as it needs a high frequency (so high energy) for the electron to be knocked off (threshold frequency) and no matter how bright visible light is it would not work as it would just increase the intensity and and so it would not have enough energy (work function) to remove the electron.
    The energy of the photon is used 1) to remove the electron off the surface and 2) any excess energy is converted to K.E and so the electron shoots off.

Physics

I know 2 facts about fish, and both of them are wrong.

Spoiler:
    Show
    For those of you that are interested:

The largest fish in the world is the blue whale which can weigh over 150 tonnes

The Raptor Fish (amphelirocanabolis) is an amphibious fish that will eat its own young if it cannot find prey to feed on. Its been known to waddle over half a mile inland do to just that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star Light)
    If you 'drown' in freshwater, you're not really drowning - the hypotonic water enters your pulmonary capillaries and enters red blood cells by osmosis, causing them to split and release potassium and sodium ions. These raise the blood levels of the ions, causing hyperkalaemic cardiac arrhythmia, so you die of cardiac arrest - drowning means dying from the asphyxiation, i.e., lack of oxygen.

If you drown in saltwater, you are legit drowning.
    I am nearly 100% certain this isn't true...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Some species of hermaphroditic flatworms engage in penis fencing during mating, with the winner fertilising the other one.
    standard

ReputationRep:
    You cannot consent to sadomasochistic genital mutilation, legally speaking.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology student here talking to you about colour perception.

Do any of you notice that if you stare for a long time at a picture, if you blink at a white surface you see an image of it in its complementary colours? For example, stare at the centre of this picture for about 30 seconds and then look at a white piece of paper:

You should notice that at that point you see it in the correct colours of the Union Jack.

A theory surrounding this makes references to 'opponent processes' in the visual system. There are receptors that work in three opponent channels- red vs green, blue vs yellow, black vs white. This basically means that you cannot perceive something that is a 'greenish red' or a 'blueish yellow' because these colours oppose each other. If you are seeing something red, green is inhibited and so on. When you were staring at this picture, you fatigued the green and yellow receptors so that they're unable to inhibit the red and blue wavelengths of light when you look at a white piece of paper (which has all wavelengths of light available). This is why you see the alternative colours.

ReputationRep:
    Momentum (mass times velocity) in the universe can never change because if it did, it would violate translational invariance. This would mean that things would change depending on where you are. If momentum was not conserved, if you start your car in Italy, there would be no guarantee that your car would start in USA. You can thank the law of conservation of momentum for the guarantee that it would start.

By the same token, energy represents a sort of "momentum of time", i.e the momentum of an object in the time dimension, which is not very easy to visualise. But because energy is momentum in time, it has to be conserved as well, hence the law of conservation of energy. The law also works because things are invariant in time. You could start your car now or one hour later, and nothing would change, because energy is conserved

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.