The Student Room Group

Why do the Brits have this idea that the EU is undemocratic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainhuman
So goodbye :wave:

:ciao:
Original post by Observatory
They do, but believe (I think correctly) that MEPs do not have much power..
actually, the European Parliament has lots of power. It decides on most of European legislation (jointly with the EU Council), votes in, monitors, and may dismiss the Commission, adopts the EU budget , ratifies most external agreements etc etc

more details e.g. here http://testpolitics.pbworks.com/w/page/20734315/The%20European%20Parliament
Original post by brainhuman
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

In the other thread people are arguing against the EU because Britain is a net payer. Well guess what, so is Germany, and so according to the anti-EU logic Germany would benefit from leaving. Which is actually exactly what Nigel Farage wants (I was given a video of his to watch and he says after UK leaving he wants to free other countries in Europe from the EU).

Germany gets a lot for their membership:
1. Favourable currency to help their exports
2. Significantly more influence than any other country
3. They are have a more pro federal and pro European mindset than Britain. Britain has never wanted to be apart of a federal Europe.

The membership fee isn't even what people hate the most about the EU. It's more to do with being a independent country.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alexh42
Germany gets a lot for their membership:
1. Favourable currency to help their exports
2. Significantly more influence than any other country
3. They are have a more pro federal and pro European mindset than Britain. Britain has never wanted to be apart of a federal Europe.

The membership fee isn't even what people hate the most about the EU. It's more to do with being a independent country.

1. The Euro is not the EU.

2. So it is also the fact that Britain is weak? (and Brits think that will change when they leave, hah)

3. True. But what does that have to do with this discussion about being a net payer?

And the last part, yes, that is what I have learned in this thread. However, what I still do not understand, nor like, is why most of the arguments people make are wrong or misleading?

Why don't people just come out and say we want to be on our own? Why say stuff like the thread title, that it's undemocratic, or we pay more than we get. That is what annoys me a bit I have to admit.
Original post by JordanL_
Farage is actually a really charismatic, likeable guy. Shame he's such a bellend.

Did the Guardian say that?

Quick Reply

Latest