Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sadiq Khan: There are too many "white men" on Transport for London Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberr1es)
    Not saying it isn't a thing because it is, I just think it is overexaggerated. For the majority of UK people, myself included, the value of someone is assessed on what their character and ethics are like, rather than their ethnicity or religion. Only the select few think otherwise.
    as much as I agree that most people are not Islamophobes, the cynic in me cannot believe this

ReputationRep:
    It's no surprise, really. If you worked on the tube, spending 50 or so hours a week underground, you'd be white too. Not much chance of getting a tan is there?

ReputationRep:
    You don't even need an akbar for this—it's just regular Labour ********…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davide_online)
    It's no surprise, really. If you worked on the tube, spending 50 or so hours a week underground, you'd be white too. Not much chance of getting a tan is there?
    That made me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am just glad good old Sadiq (we went to the same school, in Tooting) has the empathy not to forget all those workers who don't get enough fresh air and sun.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Davide_online)
    I am just glad good old Sadiq (we went to the same school, in Tooting) has the empathy not to forget all those workers who don't get enough fresh air and sun.
    Who are those workers, Bankers and Consultants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    as much as I agree that most people are not Islamophobes, the cynic in me cannot believe this
    Don't worry, that's just your persecution complex. Get that chip off your shoulder and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EUTyranny)
    London's transport authority is far too dominated by white men, Labour's mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan said today.

There are currently 13 white men on the Transport for London board and just three women. Khan said he would ensure the board better reflected the "diversity" of Londoners if he becomes mayor.

"I will reshape TfL's board," he said during a speech in Brixton this morning."It needs to better reflect London's diversity in the interest of Londoners.

Did you know there are 16 people on the board of TfL?

Read More:
    http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2016/...nsport-for-lon
    The amount of times I have heard a white person say "Every job interview I have had, I've got"

No black person could say that. Can't speak for London but in Liverpool. Most companies in Liverpool have a no blacks policy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Already?
    Should call him SJW Khan from now on.

I for one though support what he's saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Don't worry, that's just your persecution complex. Get that chip off your shoulder and you'll be fine
    what on earth are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    For those saying it should be based on merit - how do you think that is calculated? This isn't some black or white exercise or points system where it is obvious who the best/better candidates are - no doubt there are likely to be a few who are similar enough and then new appointments are based on gut feelings. If the current board appoint new members then they are more likely (subconsciously or otherwise) to continue picking similar people to them since they are more likely to get along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    Final nail in the coffin for the remaining white people in London. White-flight here we come.
    I'm all for white flight in London if it means less demand for property in London and thus lower property prices. Sadiq Khan for Prime Minister!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Hyperbolism doesn't lend any gravity to your comments, my fresh friend
    I couldn't help but laugh at this gem; your entire political image is built on a solid bed of hyperbole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePaul57993)
    The amount of times I have heard a white person say "Every job interview I have had, I've got"

No black person could say that. Can't speak for London but in Liverpool. Most companies in Liverpool have a no blacks policy
    LMAO! Care to provide any evidence?

Good job you didn't grow up in the 60s, you'd have genuine grievances then instead of this make belief victim role you're playing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePaul57993)

As soon as I saw the username I knew something outrageous and completely stupid was coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    For those saying it should be based on merit - how do you think that is calculated? This isn't some black or white exercise or points system where it is obvious who the best/better candidates are - no doubt there are likely to be a few who are similar enough and then new appointments are based on gut feelings. If the current board appoint new members then they are more likely (subconsciously or otherwise) to continue picking similar people to them since they are more likely to get along.
    Really? You think that the jobs are based on real merit? You must be living in a naive world.

Read here, many jobs (about 70% of them) have been alleged to never been advertised. If you research further, you will see that this is more the case with higher positions e.g. manager or director roles, where people are appointed rather than recruited in the traditional sense.

Based on your logic of recruitment by "gut feelings", rich people will recruit other rich people, while poor or middle-class people, possibly like yourself, should just remain as useless as possible doing the same peasant jobs for the rest of their lives.

The whole system is corrupt. Things need to change. Also be aware than this is not a "black vs white" thing. There are also issues with gender bias and sexual orientation bias.

It is very funny how a statement comes out about a white person and it suddenly becomes a "black vs white" debate. Even the person, who made the statement i.e. Mayor Sadiq Khan MP, is Pakistani by background and people are subtly arguing along the lines of 'black vs white.'

SORRY FOR THE RANT!!! I'VE BEEN REALLY PISSED AT THE IGNORANCE ON TSR THREADS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Really? You think that the jobs are based on real merit? You must be living in a naive world.

Read here, many jobs (about 70% of them) have been alleged to never been advertised. If you research further, you will see that this is more the case with higher positions e.g. manager or director roles, where people are appointed rather than recruited in the traditional sense.

Based on your logic of recruitment by "gut feelings", rich people will recruit other rich people, while poor or middle-class people, possibly like yourself, should just remain as useless as possible doing the same peasant jobs for the rest of their lives.

The whole system is corrupt. Things need to change. Also be aware than this is not a "black vs white" thing. There are also issues with gender bias and sexual orientation bias.

It is very funny how a statement comes out about a white person and it suddenly becomes a "black vs white" debate. Even the person, who made the statement i.e. Mayor Sadiq Khan MP, is Pakistani by background and people are subtly arguing along the lines of 'black vs white.'
    i think his point was that it's not based on merit lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So he wants a quota on the people on the board of a company. I wonder if he'll do the same quota for refuse collectors in London, or is it just the cushy, well paid office jobs that need proportional representation?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Implication)
    i think his point was that it's not based on merit lol
    Lol. My mistake. I was just annoyed at the level of ignorance some people display on TSR. I need to calm down more.

ReputationRep:
    Khan hasn't started very well has he?

Sacking people on the basis of the colour of their skin would be considered racist in anything but the looking glass world of left wing London, Labour politics...

Let's see who he DOES give all the plum jobs too, all the juicy contracts. If not qualified white people, already doing a good job, who? We saw with Lutfur Rahman how easy it is for a determined local politician to get away for years with "jobs for the boys" and rank financial corruption in our system of local government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33430696

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.