Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Why do autistic's get extra time in exams watch

• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I have Asperger's, and it's crap that it takes you longer.
    But that's you. It's a spectrum. Just because you're ok doing something, doesn't mean we all are.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    But that's you. It's a spectrum. Just because you're ok doing something, doesn't mean we all are.
    Please don't try to educate me about my own condition. Most of the aspies I know/have known are very similar to me - maybe more intellient than I am. I've met people in other areas of the spectrum with varying degrees of intelligence/speed, but I was specifically referring to people with Asperger Syndrome - as I'm sure you saw.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Please don't try to educate me about my own condition. Most of the aspies I know/have known are very similar to me - maybe more intellient than I am. I've met people in other areas of the spectrum with varying degrees of intelligence/speed, but I was specifically referring to people with Asperger Syndrome - as I'm sure you saw.
    Le sigh. Even those with Asperger Syndrome aren't all the same. You remind me of a woman who once told me that because her son is perfectly capable of doing something, so should I.

ReputationRep:
    i hate this whole thread some off you dont even understand that autism is a specturm
    personally i dont get extra time and i have autism however due to my anxitey and my behaviour during exams i am in discreet exam room.
    so what if other people with autism or aspergers have extra time or even people with learn diffculties get extra time its only because they have different needs to you and the fact you are so rude about it makes me so angry.

Some autistic students find English easy like i do however some find maths and science easier whereas i dont and in science and maths exams i have to read the question a couple of times to understand what they want me to do

At my school i hate telling people im in discreet as they dont see anything wrong with me like physically but im not affected physcially and it really annoys me when students at my school say that because not all disabilites are physically and seen by the eye

threads like this can cause so much upset and anger just beacause some are so rude about others getting extra time i know we all sometimes after we leave a exam remember something we should have written down and wish we have extra time but we dont and sometimes we have to deal with that but that doesnt mean we have to bash others that do

the person you are talking about at your school who has aspergers may have dyslexia and finds it hard to read and write and therefore gets extra time because of how hard he finds it write and read

some off you need to remember that we are all different and just because we have the same condition doesnt make us the same

Le sigh. Even those with Asperger Syndrome aren't all the same. You remind me of a woman who once told me that because her son is perfectly capable of doing something, so should I.
    I didn't say the same. We're all similar though, or else there'd be no Asperger's.

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually know anything about Autism? I get the impression you don't.
    A disorder that affects learning and processing? Aren't there like degrees of autism?

All I said his teachers could have told him to brag less, and said its perfectly normal for Op to be annoyed by the guy and now I don't now anything about autism. I'm no expert but I really don't think its that hard to tell a guy who is smarter than most people to lower the bragging when he is successful on an exam. Is that a bad thing ? Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hi just to point out I understand we're your coming from I have aspergers And the reason people like us get extra time is on a Daly basis we have a disability that cripples us and when we are in a exam room sounds that most people may here as quite to us are the loudest things on earth to things like the ticking clock to the pencils dropping not to mention the anxiety that cripples us I understand why you are perhaps a little annoyed and comfused as to why he then goes on about his good grades but you see because he has aspergers he most likely won't inderstand that boasting about it is wrong he may think this is a good way to make friends the advise I would give is to just be friendly back and perhaps tell a teacher or staff and say he is not meaning to but is bosting about his grades and may need to be warned that this is wrong

ReputationRep:
    People with Asperger's are not necessarily 'gifted'. It is common for people with Asperger's to have above average intelligence, but the challenge for these people is usually understanding what other people mean; whether it be verbal communication, written communication or other, chances are anyone on the ASD spectrum will misinterpret and struggle to see something as it was intended. This extends to exams, and when you factor in the emotional dysregulation and heightened stress that people with ASD usually experience, then it is only fair to give some extra time.

As other's have said, the social difficulties autistic people face are enough of a disadvantage in life, so the least they can be afforded is some extra considerations when it comes to their academics.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    lol, it legit sounds like you're talking about me

I'm an aspie, get 25% extra time in exams (though I don't always use it) and am a straight A student. The thing is it's very much dependent on the type of questions on an exam, the skills tested and the content.

For example, I took the LNAT this year, it's an entry test for law with two sections, 42 multiple choice questions to be done over an hour and a half and an essay in 40 miniutes.
    I finished the multiple choice questions in 30 miniutes, yet with the essay I was writing until the very last miniute, not even any time to check (which probably caused my rejection from a couple unis tbh)

It's all about the way people's minds work - but also bear in mind that to get registered for extra time the person has to have been assesed by a qualified psychologist or SEN teacher. It's not like the school just gives it to them.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.