The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Maths Core 1 - 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by tajtsracc
I'm pretty certain radius is root 65. Then for the last question, you use pythag, 65 + 16 = 81, square root of that gives you a solid 9.

no i got root 34
Original post by Poppy1098
Exactly!! Because -25-9 is -34??
Also what did you get for CT?

You work out k (or r^2) by finding the distance of CA squared, which was (-5-2)^2 + (3- -1)^2 = 7^2 + 9-4)^2 =65

I got 9 for CT by doing (√65)^2 + 4^2 = 81, then √81 = 9
Reply 122
Original post by melanin101
How are you guys getting root 34 for the radius?? I got root 65 by using Pythagoras to find the length of the centre to the point they gave us...

root 34 people, what did you get for the length CT?

I realised I got it wrong radius root34
CT question I put root50
hope they give us marks for method
Reply 123
Original post by WhiteTigerKURD
I got 11.25

I got the same I hope we are right !!! Mine was in fraction form like 135/12
Original post by Parhomus
The method you talk about is when you have something like ax^2+bx+cy^2+dy=k
I almost did the same thing but then when I plugged in coordinates and realised it was wrong I saw you had to find the radius from A and C and it gave you sqrt65.

Fml, imo this paper was harder than last year's because there were so many questions where you could make mistakes on. Do you remember what the coordinates of A were?
Original post by yasaminO_o
You work out k (or r^2) by finding the distance of CA squared, which was (-5-2)^2 + (3- -1)^2 = 7^2 + 9-4)^2 =65

I got 9 for CT by doing (√65)^2 + 4^2 = 81, then √81 = 9

Ahh thank you, that makes sense! Will I get an error carried forward for the CT question then?
Original post by moe889
no i got root 34

I'm sure it has to be root 65. What was your CT? I got √81 = 9, which can't be a coincidence.
Can you still get marks on the integration if the answers was wrong?? Like method marks
Reply 129
Original post by Jacobisswaggy
For the coordinates of Q, I don't think I wrote (-5/4,0) I just wrote -5/4 - did you have to give the full coordinate? It was obvious that y was 0 :/

only had to give the x value
Original post by haza01
thats exactly what i did

Yeah same except it came out as k2-24k+80 so (k-20)(k-4) giving k=20 and k=4

anyone else get that?
Original post by Poppy1098
Ahh thank you, that makes sense! Will I get an error carried forward for the CT question then?

From looking at past mark schemes I'm sure you'll get the method marks but you probably won't get the final answer mark :frown:
Reply 132
I'm sure it has to be root 65. What was your CT? I got √81 = 9, which can't be a coincidence.

i think youre wrong mate. i got 9 aswell
Reply 133
its all ogre now
Reply 134
Original post by kylabaebae
Yeah same except it came out as k2-24k+80 so (k-20)(k-4) giving k=20 and k=4

anyone else get that?

I got that :smile:
Original post by hlincoln
Can you still get marks on the integration if the answers was wrong?? Like method marks

Yeah I messed up aswell. But luckily I got the area of the triangle right, 9, which is one mark (looking at past papers). One mark for integration and one mark for substituting x into the integrated formula. I mentioned "intergral - area of triangle" which I'm not sure counts, but if it does then that's 4/8. Not too bad.
Reply 136
is there an unofficial mark scheme up yet?
Reply 137
Yeah I messed up aswell. But luckily I got the area of the triangle right, 9, which is one mark (looking at past papers). One mark for integration and one mark for substituting x into the integrated formula. I mentioned "intergral - area of triangle" which I'm not sure counts, but if it does then that's 4/8. Not too bad.

Which Year and month of past year paper are you referring to?
Original post by Pingu7
Igot -0.5 because I sketched the curves and it moved left

yeah I did the same and also got -0.5...?
oh crap i put x = 4/5 so i said the triangle was 1.2 x 24 x 0.5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending