Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    If you are elected Speaker and your current MP seat is vacant, do you know if there is a person from your party wanting to become an MP in your place?
    The House will probably not be surprised to learn that there is, given our rather well publicised recruitment drive, like there is someone wanting to take my place for everything else these days.

Will you reinstate/keep the previous Speaker's list of Bills to come, or at least indicate in daily updates the length of the Bill and Motion queue?
    Yes. I don't know what happened to that.

ReputationRep:
    If you are elected Speaker and your current MP seat is vacant, do you know if there is a person from your party wanting to become an MP in your place?

Will you reinstate/keep the previous Speaker's list of Bills to come, or at least indicate in daily updates the length of the Bill and Motion queue?
    I do know there is at least one.

Yeah.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

Yes.

I would keep the queue, however, it'd be in a slightly different way. Whilst I'm not as technical as LP, my Google Sheets tekers are pretty extreme, and I would have a Google Sheets 'Dash' which had Bills and their status, including a sneak preview at what's to come, and a rolling vote record...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    The House will probably not be surprised to learn that there is, given our rather well publicised recruitment drive, like there is someone wanting to take my place for everything else these days.

Yes. I don't know what happened to that.
    Can I just say that I am still in shock about that?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Life_peer with regards to the automated bill submission ect. system would that work by letting a bot use your account? because I'm not sure the CT would actually like or allow a bot to have CA powers. Also do you not think that a rolling voting review makes parties lazy when they should be tracking their own MPs?

Airmed How do you propose that we keep voting percentages above 90% without ending up with MP seats in the hands of voting monkeys instead of actual people who will debate and revitalize the house?
    Also, as I recall we saw ray promise to have all updates out by 9 iirc and he failed to do that effectively so how will you succeed where he failed?

adam9317 you say you are active in the house but over the past few months I haven't seen you around much and thought you had left at one point. also what would the closer links you talk about entail? I would think that most D&CA regulars know we are here and avoid us like the plauge because of the atmosphere of the house and because there are too make big egos.

Saracen's Fez same question as above to adam, also what would be the point of the MHoC twitter feed? after the IAS twitter stalking incident I struggle to believe that anyone would actually follow it. other then that you are fairly vanilla

Aph great manifesto

To all the above what are your opinion of off-site coms and people talking about the other place?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Aph I can't control people debating. I can't tell people to debate. That would be overstepping the mark. But I would ask leaders to step up to the mark and make sure that their MPs are being active.

If you read my manifesto, I have said that I will update in the morning if I can't at night. I'm an early riser. I will update before 9pm, you don't need to doubt me on that. Most of my TSR activity is in the afternoon and evening as it is.

Question to you: how will you determine what is pettiness? Your idea to clamp down aounds like a dictatorship and I don't find that comfortable at all.

As for off site communication I don't mind it. I think it's a personal matter. As for the Other Place, I don't see that many talk about it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Where's my question!?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Homeboy JoeL1994 campaign manager - hope you're getting me my votes
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Nigel Farage MEP Given your distaste for formal rules and constitutions your proposal to create an MHoC penal code surprises me. Do you not think that each case of rule-breaking is unique and is best dealt with by the judgement of the Speaker rather than hard-and-fast penalties?
    Recent events have demonstrated how contentious a Speaker's decision can be when a decision on a punishment is needed, by creating a penal code that MPs have approved, decisions on penalties cannot be seen as being biased decisions. There will be cases where a penalty has not been included, but for the most common offence of having second account, there can be different penalties set out to create transparency when thinking of a penalty.

(Original post by Life_peer)
    My question to adam9317 is how can we trust you given the state of the MEU even after months and my question to Nigel Farage MEP is why is he still here after what he told us after his resignation as UKIP leader. We aren't idiots who can't remember what happened a few days ago, you know… Let me quote from this magnificent revelation just to freshen up our memories:
    It is shocking, it really is, I am a pretend politician who has changed his mind, much in the same way some of your MPs changed their mind when voting on the organ donation bill; politicians are allowed to change their mind.

Nigel Farage MEP One more question now that I've read your manifesto: Will you please also create a penile code and stick it up your salty arse? :awesome:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Recent events have demonstrated how contentious a Speaker's decision can be when a decision on a punishment is needed, by creating a penal code that MPs have approved, decisions on penalties cannot be seen as being biased decisions. There will be cases where a penalty has not been included, but for the most common offence of having second account, there can be different penalties set out to create transparency when thinking of a penalty.

It is shocking, it really is, I am a pretend politician who has changed his mind, much in the same way some of your MPs changed their mind when voting on the organ donation bill; politicians are allowed to change their mind.

A rep simply for the gif usage.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Airmed)
    A rep simply for the gif usage.
    I rep because I like your answers, but 'tis indeed a wonderful GIF, I think anything with Mean Girls in deserves an automatic rep.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they are, but my point is that you changed it because you are exactly “like certain members who hang around to obsess over the pointless titles”.

I'm not the one who wants to “write my outlook on various members of the MHoC which will be published in my memoirs”, mate. :laugh:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I rep because I like your answers, but 'tis indeed a wonderful GIF, I think anything with Mean Girls in deserves an automatic rep.
    Thanks. Well, I won't argue that you do present your augments quite eloquently.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Of course they are, but my point is that you changed it because you are exactly “like certain members who hang around to obsess over the pointless titles”.

I'm not the one who wants to “write my outlook on various members of the MHoC which will be published in my memoirs”, mate. :laugh:
    I am not the member has quoted another member three times in the one thread to make an infantile comment about anuses.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Aph I can't control people debating. I can't tell people to debate. That would be overstepping the mark. But I would ask leaders to step up to the mark and make sure that their MPs are being active.

If you read my manifesto, I have said that I will update in the morning if I can't at night. I'm an early riser. I will update before 9pm, you don't need to doubt me on that. Most of my TSR activity is in the afternoon and evening as it is.

Question to you: how will you determine what is pettiness? Your idea to clamp down aounds like a dictatorship and I don't find that comfortable at all.

As for off site communication I don't mind it. I think it's a personal matter. As for the Other Place, I don't see that many talk about it.
    I fully intend to be a dictator I will listen to people but ultimately my attitude will be 'what I say goes'. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
    and pettiness will be what I determine to be petty. e.g. getting the mass PM banned for political reasons over-turning at least 5 years of MHoC history is petty and i would clamp down on it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Aph)
    I fully intend to be a dictator I will listen to people but ultimately my attitude will be 'what I say goes'. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
    and pettiness will be what I determine to be petty. e.g. getting the mass PM banned for political reasons over-turning at least 5 years of MHoC history is petty and i would clamp down on it.
    If you are a dictator Speaker then don't be stunned if you are handed a MoNC.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I am interested to know how you would clamp down on members making valid points when no rules are being broken.

ReputationRep:
    If you are a dictator Speaker then don't be stunned if you are handed a MoNC.
    Or a single vote to begin with…
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    And any hope you might have had of becoming Speaker...

...poof into thin air...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Life_peer with regards to the automated bill submission ect. system would that work by letting a bot use your account? because I'm not sure the CT would actually like or allow a bot to have CA powers. Also do you not think that a rolling voting review makes parties lazy when they should be tracking their own MPs?
    No, there would be a bot-ish account but with no additional powers or presence in the party user groups.

That's a matter of opinion. Mine is that they ought to rather than should. If one's reluctance to manually and periodically crawl through the polls and copy the results into a spreadsheet is considered lazy, then I fully support that kind of laziness.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.