Summer 2017 Applications

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Just sent my application for IBD and Trading to GS,Slightly concerned as these divisions are quite different. I think my cover letter covered my motivation for these 2 fields nicely, but I'm worried they think I'm not sure what I want (which I am! I simply enjoy both of them).Any comments on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexbalan)
    If I am starting my second year out of a 4 year course (so not penultimate year), are there any companies that will not consider me because of that (or will affect me in any way)?
    I am having the same issue here mate. I'm on a MEng course (can switch to BEng if I want to 'fix' this issue but I feel it's best to stick to the current path). So far I've only found a couple of firms willing to take people on second year of a 4 year course. If anyone has a list, please let us know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
    Just sent my application for IBD and Trading to GS,Slightly concerned as these divisions are quite different. I think my cover letter covered my motivation for these 2 fields nicely, but I'm worried they think I'm not sure what I want (which I am! I simply enjoy both of them).Any comments on this?
    Bad idea imho. job isn't the same at all.

(Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
    I am having the same issue here mate. I'm on a MEng course (can switch to BEng if I want to 'fix' this issue but I feel it's best to stick to the current path). So far I've only found a couple of firms willing to take people on second year of a 4 year course. If anyone has a list, please let us know
    Actually none should consider you since summers are potential hires for .. next year.
    you should apply to springs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savonarola)
    Bad idea imho. job isn't the same at all.
    I guess diversification is only good when investing, not when applying

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know anything about summer internships and having to resit the year? I marginally failed my second year at LSE, I had extenuating circumstances. Any advice? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    And here we are, 1 year has already passed since thinking about SWs!

When do you think is it ideal to submit applications? I was thinking about first half of september. Last year I definitely applied too late for SWs

ReputationRep:
    people applying to summers for the second time: do you have any specific do's and dont's with regards to applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econibpe)
    people applying to summers for the second time: do you have any specific do's and dont's with regards to applications?
    How can you apply twice? If your on a 4 year course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    How can you apply twice? If your ony a 4 year course?
    Extend your studies via a gap year or something.

ReputationRep:
    How can you apply twice? If your on a 4 year course?
    People who didn't get a summer can reapply as final years at some banks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econibpe)
    Diversify! Apply to stuff you like from IBD to Risk to Finance to commercial banks and accountancy firms etc.

You want to get quantity out but you dont wanna drop quality so make proper time for it or dont bother

Develop some actual industry knowledge rather than just ''interest'' and try to show that

Buy a practice pack and practice online tests

ReputationRep:
    Is it really worth it to 'diversify' all the way to back office if you don't want that? How much chance do I have if I choose my second choice as asset management (within Goldman)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzygrant)
    Is it really worth it to 'diversify' all the way to back office if you don't want that? How much chance do I have if I choose my second choice as asset management (within Goldman)?
    Just to clarify, I didnt meant to diversify within one bank, I was saying I wouldn't personally apply to IBD/AM or whatever for every bank..

ReputationRep:
    When do you guys plan to throw your applications? I though of doing it already, but I will wait till mid september probably. I heard GS and MS are doing early super days in the states already in August. I hope they're not this early in UK this year also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWiz)
    When do you guys plan to throw your applications? I though of doing it already, but I will wait till mid september probably. I heard GS and MS are doing early super days in the states already in August. I hope they're not this early in UK this year also.
    Nah, they won't be that early. But I would get everything in by early September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWiz)
    I wasn't going to submit GS or any other early openers until the last week of August at the earliest. I will prepare them though. I'm interning over summer which literally makes it really difficult to find time to create a good application, let alone start preparing for interviews. Most other banks do not even open until September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Nah, they won't be that early. But I would get everything in by early September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For spring weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For spring weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This thread is for summer bro.

SWs it would have to be by preemptively making the decision to go on a three year course then informing the bank you changed your mind to the four year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    This thread is for summer bro.

SWs it would have to be by preemptively making the decision to go on a three year course then informing the bank you changed your mind to the four year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you in university? A first year undergrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alright! It's gonna be interesting to see the pool of applicants this year. I have no idea who I am up against or how fierce the competition is as I'm from outside the UK! It's the minority who is even aware of summer intern opportunities in my country.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.