The Ultimate Maths Competition Thread

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gasfxekl)
    okay
    some other useful stuff is angle bisector theorem and angles subtended on the same arc but im sure you know that already
    okay try this one
    in a quadrilateral ABCD where BC//AD the diagonals intersect in P. the circumcircles of ABP and CPD intersect AD in S and T respectively. Let the midpoint of ST be M. Show that MB=MC.
    Can I take ptolemys theorem without proof?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    Can I take ptolemys theorem without proof?
    where?

ReputationRep:
    where?
    Like generally in olympiad questions? Im quite unsure on what theorems we can take without proof

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    Like generally in olympiad questions? Im quite unsure on what theorems we can take without proof
    i have no clue youd have to check the relevant websites. i think you can tho

ReputationRep:
    i have no clue youd have to check the relevant websites. i think you can tho
    Ok thanks I'll have a look at your question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths465Man)
    Well I've got GCSE ICT tomorrow and AS and A2 Maths as well.
    (Original post by Maths465Man)
    No I'm in Year 10
    Dafuk :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    okay
    some other useful stuff is angle bisector theorem and angles subtended on the same arc but im sure you know that already
    okay try this one
    in a quadrilateral ABCD where BC//AD the diagonals intersect in P. the circumcircles of ABP and CPD intersect AD in S and T respectively. Let the midpoint of ST be M. Show that MB=MC.
    Ive got a proof but it depends on the circumcircles having the same radii and I'm assuming you cant have them different otherwise BC would be parallel to AD? Am I on the right lines and how would I conclude my proof

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    Ive got a proof but it depends on the circumcircles having the same radii and I'm assuming you cant have them different otherwise BC would be parallel to AD? Am I on the right lines and how would I conclude my proof
    as far as i know you dont need the radii to be the same... what were your ideas?

ReputationRep:
    as far as i know you dont need the radii to be the same... what were your ideas?
    I'll have a second look after S2 on wednesday...

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with bmo1 1993 q3

ReputationRep:
    Roughly how well would a year 11 student need to do on BMO1 to get into the Hungary camp and BMO2 for trinity? Renzhi10122 physicsmaths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben167)
    Roughly how well would a year 11 student need to do on BMO1 to get into the Hungary camp and BMO2 for trinity? Renzhi10122 physicsmaths
    Erm like 40+ in BMO1 i would think and 10+ in BMO2. There werre like 5 kids in yr 10/11 q who were notnon theleaderbord this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Erm like 40+ in BMO1 i would think and 10+ in BMO2. There werre like 5 kids in yr 10/11 q who were notnon theleaderbord this year
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    That was for this years papers. It will change alot as each pper sometimes scores vary by alot.'

ReputationRep:
    That was for this years papers. It will change alot as each pper sometimes scores vary by alot.'
    I would really like to get into these camps next year ; however on past papers I have only been getting around 25-30 points so clearly I am a long way off. How did you prepare, and how exactly does modular arithmetic work (i.e.Q1 in this years' BMO1 paper)? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would really like to get into these camps next year ; however on past papers I have only been getting around 25-30 points so clearly I am a long way off. How did you prepare, and how exactly does modular arithmetic work (i.e.Q1 in this years' BMO1 paper)? Thanks
    Just practice tbh! Modular arith is just looking at remainders upon division. You don't need mod for Q1 explicitly iirc. As i remember the sol not havibg it.
    Tbh it was harder then usual as a Q1.

ReputationRep:
    Just practice tbh! Modular arith is just looking at remainders upon division. You don't need mod for Q1 explicitly iirc. As i remember the sol not havibg it.
    Tbh it was harder then usual as a Q1.
    Sorry to bother you ; I am just really interested. If you don't mind me asking, what was the trinity camp like and have you gone before this year? @renzhi10122 @physicsmaths

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone help with functional equations...finding them really challenging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    I will write something up about them later when I am free .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    give an example? you must always plug in easy values like x,0, x,-x etc. then another principle is to make things cancel- for example if u have xf(y)+y somewhere try subbing x=a/f(y) so that u get a+y, etc.
    if you have a symmetric expression switch around x and y.
    Note that f(f(x))=x or 6x or whatever implies injectivity! try to get injectivity as it is often very useful.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.