The Student Room Group

RAMADAN 2016 Any muslims planning on secretly not fasting?

Scroll to see replies

I remember when I was young(nearly 7), I waited until the Ramadan to fast, because I feel that Ramadan is the most beautiful days of the year.
but i'll not fasting this year, because i have GCSEs exams,so my parents told me i can fast after my exams :frown:

Spoiler

Original post by EllainKahlo
I hope he doesn't, because but he's not my God. There is no we, there is a you and a me.

Every human wants to share beliefs that they agree with. That doesn't make any of those beliefs acceptable, real or true. But to assume that you know the divine answers of the world and others do not, that is proof of your arrogance right there. You obviously do expect praise and reward if you're following the laws of someone or something you believe has power over you. You expect to go to paradise don't you? And that is a reward for being a good follower, so don't act like it's out of the goodness of your heart. While you have the right to tell people about your faith, I have the right to tell you why I disagree and will not join in it.

I had flyers handed to me from Catholics and non-denominational Christians today the minute I stepped out of my door, telling me I should repent. What makes you right and them wrong?

Most of the answers you gave aren't relevant to my comment, don't know why you are mentioning about agreeing and disagreeing etc. etc.. And I didn't challenge your rights nor did I attempt to take them away.

With 'we' I meant the Muslims.

Yes I clearly implied that the Muslim should expect only reward from Allah. How that is arrogant I don't know. I am not acting like its from the goodness of my hearth, its a command from the lord of the heavens and the earth who has blessed me with countless things.

sigh...
Original post by aeroline1999
Truth is we will all find ourselves 6ft below and being eaten by maggots. Or burning in a cremation chamber and our ashes scattered.

Exactly. A much more elegant and honest reality than pretending some god is out there just because you can't accept the finality of life.
Original post by Kraixo
Wake up!
Go educate yourself on the deen before death overtakes you which can come at any moment, then there are no second chances if you lived your life worshipping your desires which you are clearly doing right now then there is no good ending. The whole point of being Muslim is to submit yourself to god and live according to the laws set by god. Sorry for being intrusive but not fasting while you are clearly able to fast and know that it's obligatory seems hypocritical to me, and hypocrisy belongs to the lowest level of hell.

sigh... And Allah knows best.

Spoiler

your preaching makes you sound arrogant and self-righteous and it's unlikely to make the OP see the light that you want him or her to see. Your only muslim because you were indoctrinated from birth, if you had been born in christian family you'd be saying Jesus is God right now so let's not descend into petty dawah tactics.
Look I'm gonna hold my hands up in the air and admit it. I do fast, basically everyday. I end up skipping breakfast and lunch and don't have dinner until like 9pm. That doesn't mean its healthy. Its very very unhealthy in fact and can increase weight gain. There are only mild advantages to fasting but only if you still eat at least 600 calories on that day. Otherwise your body reduced its metabolism so you have less energy because it thinks "OK, no food, better go into energy conservation mode". That means you have less energy to move, think etc. so you are less productive, efficient and alert.

Furthermore, you ARE NOT SERIOUSLY quoting me the dailymail. You did not just do that. You expect me to believe the dailymail over the NHS! Are you a lunatic?! The Daily mail is just sensationalism designed to sell papers and make money, whereas the NHS is actually in existence to improve people's health so.... there you go.

And I might have quoted the NHS website:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthyramadan/Pages/fastinghealthrisks.aspx

But you quoted us a passage from a religious text! So I don't see how that proves anything either (and I don't accept that quoting the NHS website doesn't prove anything, it absolutely does). You justify your argument with the teachings of a medieval text, whereas I justify mine with modern medical advice from an independent body whose vested interest is in improving the health of people in Britain.

And I don't expect you to change your mind about your religion, if you want to believe an outdated ideology then that's up to you, just don't try to justify your beliefs to other people using your own book. That would be like a communist justifying communism with the communist manifesto or a facist justifying racism with main Kampf. You can't do it, you make think it justifies what you say because you believe it but it won't convince others. At least try and prove your belief with real evidence. Your response was a little better, but you still ended up quoting the DailyMail, I mean seriously? SERIOUSLY!

Ahh man, STILL your essay lacks knowledge! JUST STOP WITH REFERRING THE QURAN TO A MEDIEVAL TEXT

Going in the order that I've highlighted...

Were you unaware about the fact that Muslims wake up "in the middle of the night" in simpler terms, to have a heavy meal before fasting?

The meal itself consists of nearly 600 calories... this means we have enough energy to function through the day.

Secondly, the passage from the Quran holds facts which scientists are discovering TODAY.
For example:

[25.53] And He it is Who has made two seas to flow freely, the one sweet that subdues thirst by its sweetness, and the other salt that burns by its saltness; and between the two He has made a barrier and inviolable obstruction.

Science has only recently discovered: Modern Science has discovered that in the places where two different seas meet, there is a barrier between them. This barrier divides the two seas so that each sea has its own temperature, salinity, and density.[Principles of Oceanography - Davis, pp. 92-93]
Many many points to go with the second one.

Third highlight, outdated ideology?
ISLAM is one of the fastest growing religions in the world, yet you somehow find an excuse to call it outdated? EVEN when scientists are discovering facts which have were revealed 1800 years ago?

Listen buddy, argue all you want. To you be your belief, and to me be mine.
Ahh I see OP is smart. They got expressed their personal issues (which are either fake or they're mentally retarded), just so people can have yet another Islam debate. How original... :colonhash:
Original post by Anonymous
As for what I just highlighter from your essay, which lacks so much knowledge!

For example, the QURAAN was not written by a "group of uneducated medieval men" It was written from God.

Now you can't just bash another religion, since your points do not even make sense!

The Bible was written by men themselves, even still, they are for fasting. AND I QUOTE, "Biblical fasting is a spiritual discipline which was encouraged by Jesus, Himself, while He was on earth. When questioned as to why the Pharisees and the disciples of John the Baptist fasted while Jesus disciples did not, Jesus answered, "How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast” (Matthew 9:15). "

It wasn't an essay, it was a quote from NHS: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthyramadan/Pages/fastinghealthrisks.aspx

Furthermore, don't quote me the bible. And the Quraan was not written by god, nor was the Torah, the bible, the vedas, or any other religious text. They were all written by oppressive rulers who wished to consolidate their control over their subjects by transforming the ancient beliefs and religion pre-existing their rule into a form they could manipulate for their own self-benefit. Furthermore, Allah, god, the brahman or whatever else you want to call it does not, will not and never has existed. In fact, the universe suddenly becomes a much more beautiful place when you realise the beauty of nature and the series of metaphysical events that took place that culminated in our existence. Although culminated is the wrong word, since it suggests Earth and humanity is somehow special the "end point". We aren't and it isn't. We are tiny and insignificant compared to the vast outreaches of the universe.

The idea of a god was simply a biological and evolutionary necessity to maintain social order during the period pre-civilisation. The concept that there were consequences for our actions allowed the human race to bind together and live in communities thus promoting our advancement and existence. It instilled a sense of fear should a person try to steal or kill another by providing punishment, determined by all-seeing all-knowing deity or deities. However, this has now served its evolutionary purpose and has allowed us to develop into a civilisation with the technology to defend ourselves against nature. Therefore it is no longer required and outdated and should therefore be disposed of as it now does more harm than good to the survival and prosperity of the human race.

I invite you to join the fastest growing religion, no not islam, atheism. See what I did there? Anyway point is, religion is simply a solution to an old problem and a cause of a new one.
These threads only turn into debates because self-righteous idiots feel the need to argue.
You either fast or you don't...
Original post by Kraixo
Most of the answers you gave aren't relevant to my comment, don't know why you are mentioning about agreeing and disagreeing etc. etc.. And I didn't challenge your rights nor did I attempt to take them away.

With 'we' I meant the Muslims.

Yes I clearly implied that the Muslim should expect only reward from Allah. How that is arrogant I don't know. I am not acting like its from the goodness of my hearth, its a command from the lord of the heavens and the earth who has blessed me with countless things.

sigh...

As I am not a Muslim, your 'we' has nothing to do with me. Therefore, your comment needn't be a reply to mine.
your preaching makes you sound arrogant and self-righteous and it's unlikely to make the OP see the light that you want him or her to see. Your only muslim because you were indoctrinated from birth, if you had been born in christian family you'd be saying Jesus is God right now so let's not descend into petty dawah tactics.

The true enlightened people are those who were born into religion but chose to become an atheist. I say chose, its not really a choice, a bit like how knowing/ realising 1 + 1 = 2 isn't a choice. It just is, so you accept it. And those that don't....
are just kinda stupid.
It wasn't an essay, it was a quote from NHS: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthyramadan/Pages/fastinghealthrisks.aspx

Furthermore, don't quote me the bible. And the Quraan was not written by god, nor was the Torah, the bible, the vedas, or any other religious text. They were all written by oppressive rulers who wished to consolidate their control over their subjects by transforming the ancient beliefs and religion pre-existing their rule into a form they could manipulate for their own self-benefit. Furthermore, Allah, god, the brahman or whatever else you want to call it does not, will not and never has existed. In fact, the universe suddenly becomes a much more beautiful place when you realise the beauty of nature and the series of metaphysical events that took place that culminated in our existence. Although culminated is the wrong word, since it suggests Earth and humanity is somehow special the "end point". We aren't and it isn't. We are tiny and insignificant compared to the vast outreaches of the universe.

The idea of a god was simply a biological and evolutionary necessity to maintain social order during the period pre-civilisation. The concept that there were consequences for our actions allowed the human race to bind together and live in communities thus promoting our advancement and existence. It instilled a sense of fear should a person try to steal or kill another by providing punishment, determined by all-seeing all-knowing deity or deities. However, this has now served its evolutionary purpose and has allowed us to develop into a civilisation with the technology to defend ourselves against nature. Therefore it is no longer required and outdated and should therefore be disposed of as it now does more harm than good to the survival and prosperity of the human race.

I invite you to join the fastest growing religion, no not islam, atheism. See what I did there? Anyway point is, religion is simply a solution to an old problem and a cause of a new one.

Okay first off, the NHS Quote, was barely a quote, but an essay, copied and pasted from their site. LOL.

Secondly, you are ignorant to say that the Quran and Bible and other religious texts are not words from God himself.

Quran: Then do they not reflect upon the Qur'an? If it had been from [any] other than Allah , they would have found within it much contradiction.(4:82)
Bible: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

Yet you're telling me, with no proof whatsoever, that the scriptures were not written by God himself?

Moving on, 0+0 can never be equal to 1.
So you claim athiesm is the path to follow?
How were we created? Through evolution or the big bang as you may believe?
the answer is NEITHER.
How can the world evolve with all it contains, be formed through a so called bang? or even through the growth of humans through monkeys?
Original post by SMEGGGY
I was never a Muslim to begin with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok? Thanks for telling me that I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish I believed, I really do, because Ramadan seems like such a rewarding and fulfilling time of year for Muslims.

For me, however, it's a (very long) month filled with emptiness, sadness, suffocation, grief, and misery.

The hardest part for me has nothing to do with food, it's all the other imposed restrictions and limitations, the complete lack of freedom, it really gets to me the days leading up to Ramadan, and the whole month just feels like a dark cloud is hanging over my head.

Oh and of course taraweeh. You girls who don't go to the mosque to pray in jama'ah don't know how lucky you are.
Ahh man, STILL your essay lacks knowledge! JUST STOP WITH REFERRING THE QURAN TO A MEDIEVAL TEXT

Going in the order that I've highlighted...

Were you unaware about the fact that Muslims wake up "in the middle of the night" in simpler terms, to have a heavy meal before fasting?

The meal itself consists of nearly 600 calories... this means we have enough energy to function through the day.

Secondly, the passage from the Quran holds facts which scientists are discovering TODAY.
For example:

[25.53] And He it is Who has made two seas to flow freely, the one sweet that subdues thirst by its sweetness, and the other salt that burns by its saltness; and between the two He has made a barrier and inviolable obstruction.

Science has only recently discovered: Modern Science has discovered that in the places where two different seas meet, there is a barrier between them. This barrier divides the two seas so that each sea has its own temperature, salinity, and density.[Principles of Oceanography - Davis, pp. 92-93]
Many many points to go with the second one.

Third highlight, outdated ideology?
ISLAM is one of the fastest growing religions in the world, yet you somehow find an excuse to call it outdated? EVEN when scientists are discovering facts which have were revealed 1800 years ago?

Listen buddy, argue all you want. To you be your belief, and to me be mine.

I did know that Muslims eat a large meal at night, unlike you I educated myself before deciding what to believe. And thats kind of what I said I do and it isn't healthy! Breakfast (i.e. a meal when you wake up and stay up) is the most important meal of the day. You say the Koran "holds facts which scientists are discovering TODAY". Ok so, then I ask you:

Where are the talking hands, feet and eyes? [41:20]
did the Earth really exist before there were stars? [41:12]
Does the moon really emit light? [71:16] I thought it was the suns light reflecting on the moon? hmm must be wrong if a 1500 year old book says it!
What about elephants turning into chewed grass? [105:1] by stones dropped from birds [105:31]
or that men turned into apes [2:60]
or that dead people can be brought back to life with slices of beef [2:72-3]
or that the moon follows the sun [91:1-2]

You don't believe all that do you? Or if you don't believe its in the Koran you clearly haven't read it all, or you just choose to pick and choose bits as you please.

And all of this MUST be true since there are no mistakes in the Koran [4:82]

..... explain away that to me
Original post by haboshti_1
I remember when I was young(nearly 7), I waited until the Ramadan to fast, because I feel that Ramadan is the most beautiful days of the year.
but i'll not fasting this year, because i have GCSEs exams,so my parents told me i can fast after my exams :frown:

Spoiler

Not be mean any offence but your parents are wrong here. Muslims can't actually skip fasts for exams. I used to think they could but then I did some reading, I was proved wrong :tongue:
I wish I believed, I really do, because Ramadan seems like such a rewarding and fulfilling time of year for Muslims.

For me, however, it's a (very long) month filled with emptiness, sadness, suffocation, grief, and misery.

The hardest part for me has nothing to do with food, it's all the other imposed restrictions and limitations, the complete lack of freedom, it really gets to me the days leading up to Ramadan, and the whole month just feels like a dark cloud is hanging over my head.

Oh and of course taraweeh. You girls who don't go to the mosque to pray in jama'ah don't know how lucky you are.

Emptiness, sadness?????

Sorry, I think your whole idea of Ramadhan is wrong
Ramadhan is a month of joy, steadfastness and joy
I don't see any of the negativity you speak of!

Lack of freedom?
I'm female, 18, and I still go out, hang out with friends, but wisely, just like any other day,
I meet up with non-muslims, and muslims, and we all have iftar together, fasting or not.
We go out, pray together and everything.

Lastly, I go to the mosque and pray Taraweeh
It's the best feeling in the world!
Idc about how packed it is, that's probably why you're put off. But for me, I love the packed-ness. Why? because all the believers are in one place, praying together! SubhanAllah, no better feeling.

This is coming from a FEMALE, you're male and you feel restricted and what not
Please use this ramadhan to gain more knowledge about the Deen, and ramadhan and Islam..
Insha'Allah you won't feel this way.
Yeah I'm gonna fast this Ramadan even though I will really miss my cups of tea in the morning
Okay first off, the NHS Quote, was barely a quote, but an essay, copied and pasted from their site. LOL.

Secondly, you are ignorant to say that the Quran and Bible and other religious texts are not words from God himself.

Quran: Then do they not reflect upon the Qur'an? If it had been from [any] other than Allah , they would have found within it much contradiction.(4:82)
Bible: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

Yet you're telling me, with no proof whatsoever, that the scriptures were not written by God himself?

Moving on, 0+0 can never be equal to 1.
So you claim athiesm is the path to follow?
How were we created? Through evolution or the big bang as you may believe?
the answer is NEITHER.
How can the world evolve with all it contains, be formed through a so called bang? or even through the growth of humans through monkeys?

You can't prove religion with religion's propaganda! You are telling me with no proof whatsoever that these texts were written by god. I think you'll find it has pretty much been categorically proven we did evolve, and whilst the big bang is simply a theory, it has also been demonstrated as being highly likely through repeated mathematical proofs. Don't believe that we evolved from apes, how come we share 99% of our DNA with them then? And where are you getting 0 + 0 from?! Personally I'm more a fan of the multiverse theory, whose arguments I find very convincing. Why am I ignorant to say the bible and the Koran were not written by god. Fact check for you: the bible was not written by god and not even Christians believe that. It was written by monks around the 3rd century AD from a collection of other texts which were picked and chosen by these monks and formed the basis of the new testament. The old testament was written by the descendants of Moses (supposedly). So for a start the BIBLE was not and has never claimed to be written by god. Furthermore, the Koran followed a similar development, only it lies about its origins. You know what else the Koran claims is true? That there are talking hands and feat [24:24], that the moon emits light [71:16], that the moon follows the sun [91:1-2] and that the dead can be risen with slices of beef [18:86]. So I wouldn't trust everything you believe in Koranic story tales. But of course you believe all that don't you? After all there are no mistakes in the Koran [4:82].

Here's some proof for evolution, the big bang by the way:

http://evolutionfaq.com/articles/five-proofs-evolution

--> oh yeah, antibiotic resistance is a pretty massive demonstration of evolution, as explained in the link above.

http://www.schoolsobservatory.org.uk/astro/cosmos/bb_evid
Not be mean any offence but your parents are wrong here. Muslims can't actually skip fasts for exams. I used to think they could but then I did some reading, I was proved wrong :tongue:

ohhh really! because i can remember last year in some arabic countries the gcse students was fasting in ramdan and some 'greybeard' say it's allowed to these students to breaking the Ramadan fast, and fasting after the end of exams:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending