Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tforce)
    I agree with most of this, although factors affecting drag force would be area of parachutist and weight surely?
    idk previous ms allowed like 5 different stuff for factors affecting drag for some other papers. i put down top 2 which came into my head ahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ludd-sama)
    Damn, I didn't think of dividing 90 by 4 for the extension question, hopefully I'll only lose 1 mark for that.

Did anyone else say the extension would increase for the very last question?
    thats what i did, for the explanation, i said there is a reaction force due to the acceleration upwards which would cause the cables to stretch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... that google doc is too susceptible to spam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President J)
    Thanks but Micrometer would be used for thickness rather than height ?
    yes, you find the thickness of the aluminium, then multiply by the given width to find the cross section area (assuming a rectangle like area).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddhart1998)
    idk previous ms allowed like 5 different stuff for factors affecting drag for some other papers. i put down top 2 which came into my head ahah
    I put surface area of downwards face of the parachutist, and air density instead of weight, due to some odd way in which the question was worded of something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RBoss)
    I put surface area of downwards face of the parachutist, and air density instead of weight, due to some odd way in which the question was worded of something
    I put velocity and air density/temperature for the parachuter question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sqr00t)
    yes, you find the thickness of the aluminium, then multiply by the given width to find the cross section area (assuming a rectangle like area).
    Did you say that the area had to be re-calculated after every weight addition? I didn't in the end but I guess the aluminium stretches with added weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RBoss)
    Did you say that the area had to be re-calculated after every weight addition? I didn't in the end but I guess the aluminium stretches with added weight
    no you don't need to write that

ReputationRep:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...RgD7HG2gA/edit
    unnofical mark scheme hopefully being made now, sorry people keep spamming me so gets deleted

ReputationRep:
    How many marks was the last Q??

ReputationRep:
    Extension would decrease as the force increased and young modulus is constant so strain must be less because stress Is higher and young modulus must stay the same so as strain is less extension must be less

ReputationRep:
    any responsible people want to be owners of the mark scheme, put your email pls:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...RgD7HG2gA/edit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09johnsonda)
    Extension would decrease as the force increased and young modulus is constant so strain must be less because stress Is higher and young modulus must stay the same so as strain is less extension must be less
    Force increase, so stress increased, so as Ym = Stress/strain strain needs to be greater, so extension must increase

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone find that paper easy!?!? I thought it was super hard!!

ReputationRep:
    I got 5 for the bike question, I don't even remember how

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daribig)
    The extension decreases. Force increases so stress increases so YM increases so strain decreases so extension decreases. Was this right?
    was this for the last last last last question? they said the acceleration is upwards, so there would be a reaction force downwards, causing cables to extend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerzxcv1234569)
    Did anyone find that paper easy!?!? I thought it was super hard!!
    I thought it was better than last year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ludd-sama)
    for the Young's modulus questions. The part where they asked if the guy was wrong for using the breaking point to calculate Young's mod. He was wrong because you have to do it within the linear part right?
    bad way of explaining. you just need to say that region where he used is where the elastic limit has been exceeded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09johnsonda)
    What question is this for?

And wouldn't it be the opposite, as force is proportional to extension?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sqr00t)
    bad way of explaining. you just need to say that region where he used is where the elastic limit has been exceeded.
    Yeah I wrote something to the affect of that only applying when the spring is obeying hooked law.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 6, 2017

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.