Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Cambridge top for Biosciences but...

How is Manchester better than Imperial, and why is Sheffield down so low???
    Not sure why your so surprised Manchester did well its known for its good STEM departments. "Sheffield is low"...who cares its never ranked highly in my books for biosciences.

(Original post by peachpetals)
    Not sure why your so surprised Manchester did well its known for its good STEM departments. "Sheffield is low"...who cares its never ranked highly in my books for biosciences.
    Lol it's ranked much higher in other league table. I doubt many care about your books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Lol it's ranked much higher in other league table. I doubt many care about your books
    "Its ranked higher in other league tables." All league tables are full of inconsistencies if you are seriously believing in any of them your crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingYusHalo)
    Whatever you say fam. Have fun choosing Loughborough and enjoying your ass of for the next 3 years while I go to UCL. But please keep in mind, I'm getting the job
    The worst kind of person is the one who wrongly thinks they're elite. UCL isn't THAT great. Unless you're doing medicine, realise that it's just the same as any other top 10 University. Loughborough probably is somewhat below, but not to the extent that you can act like you go to Cambridge in comparison.

I got an offer from UCL to do Physics, and ended up picking Warwick as my firm.

Edit: "So, I'm going to be applying to Oxford this fall for engineering. I've had a look at the PAT papers and have noticed the questions are somewhat beyond what the A-level course offers."

dude, are you serious? Do you not even actually have an offer from UCL or something?

(Original post by peachpetals)
    "Its ranked higher in other league tables." All league tables are full of inconsistencies if you are seriously believing in any of them your crazy.
    Surely if it's high in a number of other tables, there must be something true to the ranking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MintyMilk)
    The worst kind of person is the one who wrongly thinks they're elite. UCL isn't THAT great. Unless you're doing medicine, realise that it's just the same as any other top 10 University. Loughborough probably is somewhat below, but not to the extent that you can act like you go to Cambridge in comparison.

I got an offer from UCL to do Physics, and ended up picking Warwick as my firm.

Edit: "So, I'm going to be applying to Oxford this fall for engineering. I've had a look at the PAT papers and have noticed the questions are somewhat beyond what the A-level course offers."

dude, are you serious? Do you not even actually have an offer from UCL or something?
    Fam, that just an illustration of why the rankings are bullsh*t. Nothing serious. And no, I do not have an offer from UCL, nor any other university.

ReputationRep:
    UCL isn't THAT great. Unless you're doing medicine, realise that it's just the same as any other top 10 University.
    I'm not sure what's implied by the reference to Medicine, which is the same wherever you are.

If you're at UCL doing Architecture, Pharmacy, Fine Art, Science & Technology Studies, Education or Eastern European Studies, then you're on the best undergraduate course for your subject in the UK and perhaps in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Science & Technology Studies, Education or Eastern European Studies
    Those are real degrees?

ReputationRep:
    Those are real degrees?
    those are departments within UCL, as many universities. A student within the school of Slavonic and East European Studies might be reading for e.g. the BA in Russian; within Education, the BSc in Educational Psychology.

I can't imagine why this is a surprise to you.

ReputationRep:
    How am I meant to decide whether a university is good or not? I want to study Computer Science but all of the league tables contradict each other.. should I just judge it based on what the entry requirements for the course are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom__)
    How am I meant to decide whether a university is good or not? I want to study Computer Science but all of the league tables contradict each other.. should I just judge it based on what the entry requirements for the course are?
    Look at the 3 top international rankings and take average.(THE, ARWU, and QS)

Eg. Berkeley in CS is ranked 3rd in ARWU, 7th in QS, and 5th in THE.
    Your average score is 5.

Do this for whatever universities is find, and see which one has the highest average score(1 is highest). I don't see how you could go wrong using 3 of the world's best rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom__)
    Identify companies that would hire lots of CS grads and then check their LinkedIn; find out where they recruit grads from for CS roles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom__)
    Non-Guardian league tables are all fairly similar. It doesn't really matter whether you go to somewhere that's ranked 8th or 12th, so the slight differences are irrelevant. For Computer Science, I think the ranking is roughly Oxbridge; Imperial, Bristol, UCL, Warwick etc.; the rest of the Russell group + Bath and St Andrews; everywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingYusHalo)
    Look at the 3 top international rankings and take average.(THE, ARWU, and QS)

Eg. Berkeley in CS is ranked 3rd in ARWU, 7th in QS, and 5th in THE.
    Your average score is 5.

Do this for whatever universities is find, and see which one has the highest average score(1 is highest). I don't see how you could go wrong using 3 of the world's best rankings.
    I'm not sure how reliable ARWU is -- I think most people would agree that Cambridge is better than Purdue University - West Lafayette for Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    Is Lancaster university really that good? It seems to be ranked high on a lot of the lists, even higher than some Russell Group universities.
    Or is it bad to presume that Russell Group universities are superior?

ReputationRep:
    Just admit it, people will base prestige on how the university looks at the end of the day. If someone builds a new university that has old buildings like Oxbridge I can guarantee it will climb up those league tables fast because everyone will want to go there and it looks prestiguous. No matter how hard modern plateglasses like Warwick try, they will never really be good because of their crap architecture that makes it feel like a business rather than a place of knowledge and learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WCF)
    Just admit it, people will base prestige on how the university looks at the end of the day. If someone builds a new university that has old buildings like Oxbridge I can guarantee it will climb up those league tables fast because everyone will want to go there and it looks prestiguous. No matter how hard modern plateglasses like Warwick try, they will never really be good because of their crap architecture that makes it feel like a business rather than a place of knowledge and learning.
    Yes, the deciding factor in a university's long-term success is...architecture. Of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Yes, the deciding factor in a university's long-term success is...architecture. Of course
    Prestige, not success. I've known people choose York over e.g. Warwick for maths just because it has a collegiate structure for example. Ok, so colleges probably count as well. Architecture + colleges = max prestige
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by WCF)
    Prestige, not success. I've known people choose York over e.g. Warwick for maths just because it has a collegiate structure for example. Ok, so colleges probably count as well. Architecture + colleges = max prestige
    York colleges have no responsibility for teaching. It's nowhere near the same as Cambridge or Oxford.

If that was the only reason they chose York over Warwick they are making a mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WCF)
    Well the joke's on them when the Warwick grads are getting prestigious grad jobs/post grad places and they with their paltry York degrees are struggling to find a job in retail.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.