Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

WJEC BIOLOGY BY1 2016 (NEW AS) Thread

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what WJEC were playing at with the new specification Biology exam. The question paper was unlike any past paper and bared no resemblance to the specimen paper either. Being a new spec, I was expecting change, but not change to the extent that the whole paper required ridiculous amount of reading and application, with very few of the questions allowing us to prove we know our biological knowledge. The paper was more a case of “can you read this and try and infer what is going on”. The diagrams were terrible quality, in particular when asked to label A and B on a Spirogyra, the arrows were seemingly pointing at nothing! The fact that we have the same amount of time as the legacy papers, despite our exam being worth more marks and considerably more demanding, meant that many could not complete the paper. Perhaps if the exam was given more allocated time, students would be able to actually read the questions thoroughly in order to gain an understanding of the concept being tested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ActuallyIDo)
    In the new spec did they have ebola, ratio questions, how viruses enters a host, sweet potatoes, and a tumour question?
    Because mine was....
    yes i did this paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    yes i did this paper
    I hated that paper, It had no protein questions, Carbohydrates, NOT EVEN WATER and I barely answered the questions in detail because I was so shell shocked...

I'm like so mad and have failed epically......
    But how do you think you did?

ReputationRep:
    I hated that paper, It had no protein questions, Carbohydrates, NOT EVEN WATER and I barely answered the questions in detail because I was so shell shocked...

I'm like so mad and have failed epically......
    But how do you think you did?
    It feels as if the past year of teaching has been pointless because all the knowledge we accumulated was not tested in that exam. Despite being an all A* student at GCSE, i am genuinely expecting a U in that exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megjane1510)
    It feels as if the past year of teaching has been pointless because all the knowledge we accumulated was not tested in that exam. Despite being an all A* student at GCSE, i am genuinely expecting a U in that exam.
    I feel the same mainly cuz of studpid mistakes but i dont think we will be getting U's, the old spec has an A grade boundary of 75% average, with all this and how hard the exam was im expected around 60% and that, i think we can manage. I thought the 9 marker on cell division was okay but i messed up the graph and ratio question but the rest seemed do able if we had more time! the small time limit is ridiculous haha! at least this does count for next years grades anyway, we will all be fine, grade boundaires will be low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megjane1510)
    I feel the same mainly cuz of studpid mistakes but i dont think we will be getting U's, the old spec has an A grade boundary of 75% average, with all this and how hard the exam was im expected around 60% and that, i think we can manage. I thought the 9 marker on cell division was okay but i messed up the graph and ratio question but the rest seemed do able if we had more time! the small time limit is ridiculous haha! at least this does count for next years grades anyway, we will all be fine, grade boundaires will be low

Tbh I don't even think i'll be getting 60% at this rate ,like the lactose and galactose question (where it said name the products), my dumb ass put a glycosidic bond and water, and on the transcription question I was focusing on the diagram on the left hand side and only talked about splicing, not DNA helicase or RNA polymerase....

Not to mention phenolphthalein and milk making an appearance

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I don't even think i'll be getting 60% at this rate ,like the lactose and galactose question (where it said name the products), my dumb ass put a glycosidic bond and water, and on the transcription question I was focusing on the diagram on the left hand side and only talked about splicing, not DNA helicase or RNA polymerase....

Not to mention phenolphthalein and milk making an appearance
    For the products one i put lactose and water and then the transcription one i jsut explanied transcription i think like DNA helicase and stuff and then the phenolphthalein one i just put theat fatty acids and glyerol are acidic and so the indicator would turn colourless but it was 3 marks so dunno what else u had to say! and then when it said why cant u use the indicator when investigating effect of PH and i said that it's because the indicator is PH dependent? i dunno haha i'm sure you'll get 60%, u never know grade boundaries may be even lower haha! but sadly a lot of my clever friends thought it was easy and got like 90%

ReputationRep:
    For the products one i put lactose and water and then the transcription one i jsut explanied transcription i think like DNA helicase and stuff and then the phenolphthalein one i just put theat fatty acids and glyerol are acidic and so the indicator would turn colourless but it was 3 marks so dunno what else u had to say! and then when it said why cant u use the indicator when investigating effect of PH and i said that it's because the indicator is PH dependent? i dunno haha i'm sure you'll get 60%, u never know grade boundaries may be even lower haha! but sadly a lot of my clever friends thought it was easy and got like 90%
    Is this new spec AS? We didn't have these. Is this Eduqas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RasputinReborn)
    Is this new spec AS? We didn't have these. Is this Eduqas?
    Yes this is educas, there is no thread for it unless u can find one for me? Btw what do u estimate the grade boundaries for an A are since people found both of these exams hard,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes this is educas

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is educas
    Sounds just as AIDS as the WJEC one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys, do you remember that 3 marker that asked you to state what type of cell that organism with weird organelles was and another organism, and to state 2 differences and 1 similarity (excluding diagrams). Did any of you say that 1 similarity would be that they both contain DNA? (WJEC NEW AS)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds just as AIDS as the WJEC one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yep, probably as similar difficulity, what do u recon grade boundaries will be?

ReputationRep:
    yep, probably as similar difficulity, what do u recon grade boundaries will be?
    58% A
    53% B
    48% C
    43% D
    38% E

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys, do you remember that 3 marker that asked you to state what type of cell that organism with weird organelles was and another organism, and to state 2 differences and 1 similarity (excluding diagrams). Did any of you say that 1 similarity would be that they both contain DNA? (WJEC NEW AS)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did because I thought it was prokaryote vs eukaryotes based on what the diagrams said like a cellulose cell wall and the other had a peptidoglycan wall or something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonandlime1)
    Yeah I did because I thought it was prokaryote vs eukaryotes based on what the diagrams said like a cellulose cell wall and the other had a peptidoglycan wall or something like that
    That's right as far as I can see. Stupidly I was stressing so much in the exam that I just didn't notice that and so I just panicked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonney12)
    That's right as far as I can see. Stupidly I was stressing so much in the exam that I just didn't notice that and so I just panicked.
    Idk if it's right, people in my school said it want that but idk, I failed anyway because I messed up the rest of the exam so I need to resit. I'm just praying we have a nice by2 exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonandlime1)
    Idk if it's right, people in my school said it want that but idk, I failed anyway because I messed up the rest of the exam so I need to resit. I'm just praying we have a nice by2 exam
    I mean, what are the chances of that? BY2 is harder and a lot more to remember so I can see it going shockingly for me :P

ReputationRep:
    I think it was a nucleus and not a vacuole, I checked on some images on Google on spirogyra and seems that the vacuole is the transparent background material in that cell and the nucleus is centrally based

ReputationRep:
    58% A
    53% B
    48% C
    43% D
    38% E

Posted from TSR Mobile
    really? i hope so, that sounds about right as our school used those for our mock based on how well everyone did

ReputationRep:
    really? i hope so, that sounds about right as our school used those for our mock based on how well everyone did
    Usually it's like 72% for an A, but I don't think anyone in my year got that high 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.