Turn on thread page Beta

What would you do with £10,000? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was given 10k on my 18th birthday. I spent 1k of it on clothes and tech and alcohol, and I put the remaining 9k in a cofunds investment ISA. I'm going to uni in September so I'll be spending my money (grown to 9.5k) on any bills or living costs that my student loan doesn't cover!

ReputationRep:
    Use it for a flat deposit. It's pretty depressing having a salary that would allow for a mortgage but not having the deposit needed to GET the mortgage

ReputationRep:
    Put it all into my bank account

ReputationRep:
    Hella hoes
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Pay off my student loan . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Yep
    Its emanonthetrack. Sub to me on YouTube!

ReputationRep:
    Take me and my mates to Cancún for a week (I've always wanted to go to Mexico) and save the rest for uni

ReputationRep:
    Split it, keep $5000.00 and put it towards university and savings, and give the remainder to my parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfcFob)
    Take me and my mates to Cancún for a week (I've always wanted to go to Mexico) and save the rest for uni
    Mexico is so beautiful, I loved it! Go to Playa del Carmen if you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Mexico is so beautiful, I loved it! Go to Playa del Carmen if you go.
    I will remember that, Riviera Maya has always looked really beautiful too
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by londonundergrad)
    I was given 10k on my 18th birthday. I spent 1k of it on clothes and tech and alcohol, and I put the remaining 9k in a cofunds investment ISA. I'm going to uni in September so I'll be spending my money (grown to 9.5k) on any bills or living costs that my student loan doesn't cover!
    It sounds like - hopefully - you'll be a living a very comfortable few years at uni, I'm glad to hear it!

(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    It sounds like - hopefully - you'll be a living a very comfortable few years at uni, I'm glad to hear it!
    Hatless cat! :eek: You're back!
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Hatless cat! :eek: You're back!
    My iPhone broke :emo: so I have to rely on this, Youtube and fb to get me through exams.

How are you, Hydebae? .

(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    My iPhone broke :emo: so I have to rely on this, Youtube and fb to get me through exams.
    How about relying on revision to get you through exams? Procrasticat.

How are you, Hydebae? .
    That pet name: :indiff:

I'm okay. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    I would spend it on my training in mountaineering and some to charity.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    How about relying on revision to get you through exams? Procrasticat.

That pet name: :indiff:

I'm okay. How about you?
    Stop it omg, Whatsapp and taking photos were my coping mechanisms. Unfortunately, the world has gotta do what its currently doing to make life unbearable! One day (during my tsr break, obviously) a pigeon literally flew into the library, flew around a bit and pooped on my work on it way of the window. What were the freaking odds. :cry:

I can vaguely remember the thread I dedicated to you so don't remember what nickname I made for you specifically. Also, I'm glad to hear it, I'm fine too thanks for asking. :innocent:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    All you people saying ISAs you do realise those are for tax purchases not saving right? you make no money with them.

ReputationRep:
    Drop ~£5k on a new car which I am desperatly in need of so I can finally get rid of this damn Subaru. Would probably sell the scooby and spend the ~1.5k off of that on a new bike since not having one in this weather is getting depressing.

Other £5k would go into my savings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    All you people saying ISAs you do realise those are for tax purchases not saving right? you make no money with them.
    Depends on the type of ISA. On some of the fixxed rate ones you can get a good 3% per year. There are other perks too such as the help to buy ISAs if you are saving for a mortgage deposit (which is what I am doing personally).

Variable rate access any time ISAs with tiny interest rates I agree are pointless, If you need access to the money and dont mind a bit of active management bouncing cash between current accounts seems a smart way of safe investment of moderate sums (2-20k)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Depends on the type of ISA. On some of the fixxed rate ones you can get a good 3% per year. There are other perks too such as the help to buy ISAs if you are saving for a mortgage deposit (which is what I am doing personally).

Variable rate access any time ISAs with tiny interest rates I agree are pointless, If you need access to the money and dont mind a bit of active management bouncing cash between current accounts seems a smart way of safe investment of moderate sums (2-20k)
    That may be but the fact remains they have never been designed for people to make money out of them short of a gambling one like a S&S ISA theyre original and primary purpose is for tax write offs.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.