8CH02 Paper 2 EDEXCEL CHEMISTRY Friday 10th June 2016

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seal_333)
    What was the 6 marker on? Did you have to draw any mechanisms and what were they? Many thanks to anyone who helps
    6 marker: Write how you would measure the rate of Hydrolysis for 2-chlorobutane, 2-bromobutane and 2-iodobutane and state the result of the experiment (something like that)

We had to draw in arrows into a mechanism with water and there were 1 or 2 choice questions on mechanisms

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Florent venhari)
    6 marker: Write how you would measure the rate of Hydrolysis for 2-chlorobutane, 2-bromobutane and 2-iodobutane and state the result of the experiment (something like that)

We had to draw in arrows into a mechanism with water and there were 1 or 2 choice questions on mechanisms

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh that's interesting, that exact experiment was on one of the specimen papers, right?!
    Thank you so much, very helpful

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for how to prepare the acid?? i completely guessed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maddie001)
    What did people put for how to prepare the acid?? i completely guessed?
    I wrote:
    Dissolve about 1 g of the acid in 100cm3 of distilled water. This should be done in a conical flask and one should stir the liquid until the solid has dissolved. Then one should transfer this solution to a 250cm3 volumetric flask using a burette (I meant to say pipette but it's not a big problem). Then one should make the solution up to the mark up to 250cm3 using deionised water I kinda made it up along the way too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My answers for the questions I can remember:

Percentage Yield was 39.1%
    n was 2.25 so 2 to the nearest whole number.
    It was a Z isomer.
    The correct alcohol was 3-methylbutan-1-ol

For the halogenoalkanes question, the usual heat with ethanol, allow to cool, add sliver nitrate, time how long it takes a precipitate to form. That's your first 3 marks. Then say the order (fastest to slowest) will be iodo, bromo, chloro as C-X bond gets longer/shorter so the bond strength is weaker/stronger.

For the preparing acid question, I thought 4 marks means I have to add some detail. So I said weigh your mass of acid, add to 100cm^3 of water and dissolve it, then fill up to the 250cm^3 mark, shaking it as you go.

Thought it was harder than Paper 1. Most of my lost marks will be on the annoying questions like 'how would n be affected' or 'suggest changes to the apparatus'. I would guess I got between 60 and 70.

ReputationRep:
    Also, Florent venhari and clairebear101 and zak_121 I did the enthalpy diagrams like a combustion cycle- because you are marking the thing at the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Also, Florent venhari and clairebear101 and zak_121 I did the enthalpy diagrams like a combustion cycle- because you are marking the thing at the bottom.
    I put it as a formation cycle. The others did it as a combustion. I think it should be like a combustion cycle

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I put it as a formation cycle. The others did it as a combustion. I think it should be like a combustion cycle

Posted from TSR Mobile
    its defo a cycle of hydration, i did a question exactly like it in class before the exam. Both reactions formed the same hydrated product

ReputationRep:
    The one regret I have about that exam.....is forgetting to write invert the volumetric flask to ensure a uniform concentration. I had prepared that point for such a question, but forgot in the exam. Still, that's 3/4.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote:
    Dissolve about 1 g of the acid in 100cm3 of distilled water. This should be done in a conical flask and one should stir the liquid until the solid has dissolved. Then one should transfer this solution to a 250cm3 volumetric flask using a burette (I meant to say pipette but it's not a big problem). Then one should make the solution up to the mark up to 250cm3 using deionised water I kinda made it up along the way too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don;y worry u dont need either! in class we used a funnel to transfer to the conical flask and thats what i put I didnt mention the stirring rod tho as ran out of time but i think i may have wrote enough if there is more than 4 marking points allowed

ReputationRep:
    Yea I'd bet the marks would be as following

first for saying weigh out and add (1g) to distilled water (in beaker)
    second for saying stir (with rod)
    third take 250 cm^3 and transfer solution and rinsings from (stirring thing and beaker)
    fourth make up to the mark and invert

ReputationRep:
    have any of you guy got your papers?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.