Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Remainers too cocky and what do you think the result will be? Watch

• View Poll Results: What will be the likely % vote share of Leave?
    Under 25
    3.85%
    25 - 30
    1.92%
    31 - 35
    3.85%
    36 - 40
    6.41%
    41 - 45
    22.44%
    46 - 50
    30.77%
    51 - 55
    25.00%
    56 - 60
    3.21%
    61 - 65
    0%
    Over 65
    2.56%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    GBP/USD chart from exactly 5 years ago until today
    ]
    Lol. So the pound is at it's lowest value in 5 years which doesn't disprove anything I have written. Thanks for the graph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Lol. So the pound is at it's lowest value in 5 years which doesn't disprove anything I have written. Thanks for the graph.
    No problem, you might like the 10 year one more.

ReputationRep:
    GBP/USD chart from exactly 5 years ago until today

What about between GBP and Euro over the same five years, which given the debate might be more relevant.

Irrespective of up or down, a weak pound of course helps exports whereas a stronger pound makes imports cheaper, there is no absolute good/bad exchange rate there is merely a rate.

Provided there is a range of movement that it is not wholly one way, not sure why a weaker pound in a particular point in the cycle is bad, at least we have a currency that to a degree tracks our economy relative to others, the Greeks would love to have the same.

So what conclusion are you drawing from both charts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    What about between GBP and Euro over the same five years, which given the debate might be more relevant.

Irrespective of up or down, a weak pound of course helps exports whereas a stronger pound makes imports cheaper, there is no absolute good/bad exchange rate there is merely a rate.

Provided there is a range of movement that it is not wholly one way, not sure why a weaker pound in a particular point in the cycle is bad, at least we have a currency that to a degree tracks our economy relative to others, the Greeks would love to have the same.

So what conclusion are you drawing from both charts?
    The narrative (Endorsed fervently by most of the media and Remain campaign) that Brexit is trashing the pound and that every media article reporting every fall in the pound is misleading

ReputationRep:
    The narrative (Endorsed fervently by most of the media and Remain campaign) that Brexit is trashing the pound and that every media article reporting every fall in the pound is misleading
    But of course any uncertainty will see a drop, it is how markets work, but it is mere recognition of that uncertainty. I am certainly not reading that much into it, I doubt anyone can evaluate with any certainty the economic impact of either stay or remain.

The referendum itself has slowed economic activity, at work we have seen a distinct lack of new activity (though it does not matter, we let out commercial property and as nobody is leaving us to move elsewhere the fact we get few enquiries is not an issue)

What brexit will bring is volatility ; the key is for how long.

Frankly I have given up even trying to read the economic runes; my decision re voting will end up with me weighing factors on an imaginary scale but I suspect the economic impact will not figure that strongly as I will likely end up giving it close to equal weight on either side of the scale.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. So the pound hasn't been so low since the 2008/09 Financial Crisis.

You failed there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    But of course any uncertainty will see a drop, it is how markets work, but it is mere recognition of that uncertainty. I am certainly not reading that much into it, I doubt anyone can evaluate with any certainty the economic impact of either stay or remain.

The referendum itself has slowed economic activity, at work we have seen a distinct lack of new activity (though it does not matter, we let out commercial property and as nobody is leaving us to move elsewhere the fact we get few enquiries is not an issue)

What brexit will bring is volatility ; the key is for how long.

Frankly I have given up even trying to read the economic runes; my decision re voting will end up with me weighing factors on an imaginary scale but I suspect the economic impact will not figure that strongly as I will likely end up giving it close to equal weight on either side of the scale.
    Largely agreed

ReputationRep:
    Lol. So the pound hasn't been so low since the 2008/09 Financial Crisis.

You failed there.
    Seems you cant read graphs. Did you say you were a doctor on a previous thread or am i mistaken? Surely I am mistaken.

The chart shows the pound was lowest since the financial crash PRE referendum announcement not that you could read much into it anyway given it has been consistently falling for 8 years

ReputationRep:
    Seems you cant read graphs. Did you say you were a doctor on a previous thread or am i mistaken? Surely I am mistaken.

The chart shows the pound was lowest since the financial crash PRE referendum announcement not that you could read much into it anyway given it has been consistently falling for 8 years
    Wrong again. Announcement was made on the 20th Feb. Lowest value of 1.38 was directly after on 27th Feb.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong again. Announcement was made on the 20th Feb. Lowest value of 1.38 was directly after on 27th Feb.
    And whats its value now? 1.45

What was its value on the 20th February? 1.45 LOL

It was 1.41 / 1.42 thoughout late January..Pre announcement and has been as high as 1.47 post referendum announcement

LOL NARRATIVES

ReputationRep:
    And whats its value now? 1.45

What was its value on the 20th February? 1.45 LOL

It was 1.41 / 1.42 thoughout late January..Pre announcement

LOL NARRATIVES

Now, let's not lie. You clearly wrote that it was lowest pre-referendum announcement. So clearly....you were wrong. It decreased to 1.38 straight after.

I should also add that EU referendum was known about in December since European Union Referendum Act 2015 was passed on December 17.

Pre-Act it was 1.5. Since, then the pound has continually dropped in value.

ReputationRep:
    Now, let's not lie. You clearly wrote that it was lowest pre-referendum announcement. So clearly....you were wrong.

I should also add that EU referendum was known about in December since European Union Referendum Act 2015 was passed on December 17.

Pre-Act it was 1.5. Since, then the pound has continually dropped in value.
    Pre act it was 1.55. And 1.6. and 1.7. and 1.8. and 1.9 all the way back to the crash hahaha

Pound steadily falls for 8 years.. nothing changes upon referendum yet somehow falling pound is Brexits fault. Amazing

Basically the pound would have to have reversed its 8 year decline for it not to be Brexits fault.

NARRATIVES

ReputationRep:
    Pre act it was 1.55. And 1.6. and 1.7. and 1.8. and 1.9 all the way back to the crash hahaha

Pound steadily falls for 8 years.. nothing changes upon referendum yet somehow falling pound is Brexits fault. Amazing

Basically the pound would have to have reversed its 8 year decline for it not to be Brexits fault.

NARRATIVES

Not steadily falling now for 8 years.

It is the lowest value since the crash. No need to lie again.

Obviously, the thought of Brexit has no effect.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

NARRATIVES
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...eu-vote-brexit

Pound volatility at an 8 year high. Must be just part of the trend since 2008 according to Brexit economy experts.

ReputationRep:
    Not steadily falling now for 8 years.

It is the lowest value since the crash. No need to lie again.

Obviously, the thought of Brexit has no effect.

NARRATIVES- HOW DO THEY WORK?

Your own graph clearly shows the pound is stronger than it has been in recent days yet you keep saying "Lowest since the crash" whilst calling me a liar. wtf lol

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...eu-vote-brexit

Pound volatility at an 8 year high. Must be just part of the trend since 2008 according to Brexit economy experts.
    Not even clicking it. You blinked first. Narrative crushed. Not interested in propaganda, interested in discrediting it as I have done.

Thanks for playing

ReputationRep:
    Not even clicking it. You blinked first. Narrative crushed. Not interested in propaganda, interested in discrediting it as I have done.

Thanks for playing

Who cares if you don't click it? I know the way you will vote because you will lie.

Jan 2009: 1.37
    July 14: 1.71
    Dec 15: 1.5 - Before EU Referendum Act
    20th Feb: 1.44 - David Cameron Announcement
    29th Feb: 1.39 - Lowest since the crisis 08/09.

ReputationRep:

Your own graph clearly shows the pound is stronger than it has been in recent days yet you keep saying "Lowest since the crash" whilst calling me a liar. wtf lol
    Try reading the graph. Clearly, it is stronger on the 3rd before the two Pro Brexit polls caused sharp decreases.

Obviously, the stupid narrative of Brexit isn't having an effect is garbage.

ReputationRep:
    Try reading the graph. Clearly, it is stronger on the 3rd before the two Pro Brexit polls caused sharp decreases.

Obviously, the stupid narrative of Brexit isn't having an effect is garbage.
    Lmao We get it bro continual 8 year decline of the pound yet its continuing decline upon brexit referendum announcement and polls is BREXITS FAULT

hahahah

ReputationRep:
    Lmao We get it bro continual 8 year decline of the pound yet its continuing decline upon brexit referendum announcement and polls is BREXITS FAULT

hahahah
    Continual decline?

July 2014 was 1.71. The highest since the 08 crisis.

Try reading a graph and stop lying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.