Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

England vs Russia - 11th June 20:00 (ITV) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Same old story really. Couldn't take our chances and poor substitutions. The Russian backline was slower than the erosion of the UK coastline, game was crying out for a Rashford or Vardy, but instead we see James Milner. The ****? Rooney was outstanding and why he was taken off I don't know.
    Beats me. Complacency settled in is my guess.

Roy thought we had bagged the win, so he switched to a more defensive stance and allowed the Russians to pressure us - conceding a goal was inevitable.

He should have subbed Sterling off for either Rashford or Vardy (Vardy preferably). If not Sterling, Kane should have gone.

Also why the **** Kane was taking corners, we'll never know.

Rooney had a fantastic game and it only showed why a deeper role suits him best.

We can beat Wales, but it's likely Hodgson will **** it up again - we need Eddie Howe.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by The Roast)
    Beats me. Complacency settled in is my guess.

Roy thought we had bagged the win, so he switched to a more defensive stance and allowed the Russians to pressure us - conceding a goal was inevitable.

He should have subbed Sterling off for either Rashford or Vardy (Vardy preferably). If not Sterling, Kane should have gone.

Also why the **** Kane was taking corners, we'll never know.

Rooney had a fantastic game and it only showed why a deeper role suits him best.

We can beat Wales, but it's likely Hodgson will **** it up again - we need Eddie Howe.
    Thought Kane's performance was worse than his corners. Awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Thought Kane's performance was worse than his corners. Awful.
    Yeah, you're right... we're so ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that was funny. Hopefully England don't just collapse now.

Good to see Wales do well though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Well, that was funny. Hopefully England don't just collapse now.

Good to see Wales do well though.
    You really do wonder who is going to step up in the dressing room and drive the team forward. If anyone wants to make for himself in England history now is the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    You really do wonder who is going to step up in the dressing room and drive the team forward. If anyone wants to make for himself in England history now is the time.
    I was laughing at the time but TBH now I think it is sad. Psychologically England needed a win at a tournament so badly. I don't really want to see a Brazil 2014 repeat.

As for who can step up, well, based on previous tournaments we know it's not going to be Rooney (I mean as a motivator, not as a player) or actually any of the "experienced" guys.

I don't know if any of them has fire in his belly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I was laughing at the time but TBH now I think it is sad. Psychologically England needed a win at a tournament so badly. I don't really want to see a Brazil 2014 repeat.

As for who can step up, well, based on previous tournaments we know it's not going to be Rooney (I mean as a motivator, not as a player) or actually any of the "experienced" guys.

I don't know if any of them has fire in his belly.
    Yeah, looking through the team there is a real lack of actual leadership. Rooney is captain but he does not strike me as a leader. And ideally in a team you have several big personalities that can step up regardless of there being an incompetent manager.

E.g. I remember in WC2006 France had the likes of Zidane, Vieira, Thuram, Henry basically lead the team effectively because Domenech was ****.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 12, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.