Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Obviously you weren't being serious about caring about the plants, but plenty of people ask why vegans aren't concerned about the plants- so that's why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    Do your research. I can't believe people don't know how bad the things they are eating are.
    Eating meat or eggs isn't bad in and of itself. It is peoples diets and lifestyles that are bad. For example, the Okinawa people in Japan are known to be some of the longest living people in the world and Japan, and it is often put down to their diet and lifestyle. They however consume more pork than the average Japanese person. It is all about quantities, quality of the meat, how you cook the meat, how many portions of fruit and veg you eat, how varied your diet is, your lifestyle and how much exercise you take. Pork, in small quantities, can actually make some useful contributions to ones diet in vitamin B12 and iron. But it shouldn't be consumed in excess and should be eaten as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    If you do don't tell every fuc*ing person you meet...

ReputationRep:
    or should i say every person you meat lol

ReputationRep:
    I get vegan chocolate cake in sainsburys ( check free from section ) it tastes great

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gapyearstudent54)
    Most quorn contains egg/ dairy products so it's not vegan
    The vegan range is becoming more widely available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Without sounding pretentious, becoming vegan totally changed my life in such a positive way! I'm not great at giving advice but something that really really helped me was if I was really craving something or for that matter just wanted a certain food, I would google ' vegan ......... recipe' - you will not believe the amount of cruelty free, plant based substitutes there are out there!!! I have even found that I, taste wise, prefer lot of the vegan recipes to the 'originals' but would advise you to try and keep an open mind because certain alternatives will taste different but things grow on you and you will find what works for you! Best of luck ( not that you need it - if I can be vegan, ANYONE CAN!) and fair play for wanting to make this step!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Quorn?
    Innit just get quorn tesco cakes uno XD

ReputationRep:
    definitely go vegan!! seriously best decision I have ever made! I remember it being very daunting at first so here are a few tips:

1. get educated! research, research, research. its crazy how disgusting the meat and dairy industries are...i went vegan for health, but now the ethical side has started to hit me. I too said veganism was a temporary diet but tbh now i can't see myself ever putting a piece of meat or cheese in my mouth!

2. experiment! veganism is such an amazing lifestyle. not only do you change your diet but you start to appreciate everything around you. until veganism i never knew plant foods taste so amazing and how versatile they are- you can even make those cakes you find in tesco vegan by making them at home, i promise!

3. record what you eat. so many people go back to eating meat because they dont meet nutritional and caloric needs, which leaves them tired and fustrated. i recommend tracking the things you eat and familirasing yourself with what foods have what nutritional value. count your calories, but only to make sure youre getting enough! so many people who switch forget fruit and vegetables are more calorifically dilute. i reccomend doing this for about your first week or so, in order to familiarise yourself with how much iron, calcium, etc. you need- after that if youre confident,

like someone mentioned in a comment its very likely you'll need to take a b12 supplement because you can't find it in any plant food. Personally, I don't, because I have fortified soy milk and cereal which is enough B12 daily.

4. dont put s*** in your body! veganism is great for stopping the exploitation of animals but its even better if you can benefit health-wise from it! why not kill two birds with one stone? (oh dear the irony)... sure pringles, chili heatwave doritos and popcorn are all vegan- but remember everything in moderation. fill yourself with whole foods and feel amazing!

5. take it one step at a time! dont dive in, give up and go back to eating meat... take it step by step. eliminate animal products slowly or dedicate days of the week for eating vegan. theres no point turning vegan cold turkey and then realising you cant do it and turn back! you said youre having a birthday coming up, lets be honest every stereotypical vegan on the internet would be saying that if you consider going vegan you need to vegan ASAP as if there was no tomorrow. sure, the sooner the better. however i say celebrate your birthday as per usual and after start introducing the vegan diet! planning a vegan birthday right of the bat isnt going to make you look forward to the change!

...and i think thats all. gosh that ended up being a long comment xD sorry for any grammatical errors i got too excited that someone was considering going vegan! however i hope i helped! xx

ReputationRep:
    oh and i saw someone who talked about being deficient in protein; there is no such thing as protein defeciency! the only instance this occurs in is if you are deficient in calories. if you ate the least protein rich food in the world for the whole day and met your daily calorie intake, you would have eaten enough protein!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    So I'm a vegetarian and I've been really interested in veganism. After my final exam next week I'm going to try going vegan but I'm nervous I'm going to have a mental breakdown because I love cake from Tescos way too much and I won't be able to have it. And since it's my birthday the week after, I'm a bit nervous because my parents will most probably get non vegan food.

So because I'm starting out I'm considering going vegan only on the weekends and then building my way up. So if there are any vegans are there, any helpful advice?

NOTE- I'M ONLY DOING THIS FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. IT'S NOT A LONG TERM THING.
    Try vegan cake its so good!
    Okay so personally I think you should just go full on vegan for 21 days. That will build up a habit. Make sure you watch all the vegan documentaries e.g forks over knifes, cowspiracy, earthlings ... That will give you this moralistic boost, that will keep you going and make you turn away all the animal byproducts. Look at it this way, as a vegan I would be much more uncomfortable sitting next to someone drinking milk than someone eating steak. In my eyes the dairy industry is far more cruel.
    Also If you are saying this is short term, I would label yourself, Plantbased. Veganism isn't just about what youre eating, its about a lot more. You can't have a temporary vegan, veganism is a lifestyle.
    Watch the best speech ever on youtube, and 101 reasons to go vegan. Get into watching all the vegan youtubers find which ones resinate with you.

You don't have to go fully vegan over night. It is a transition after all. Just make sure your head is in the right mindset. Soon things like cake are negligible. Plus you can find so many alternatives.

Basically do your research and find the reasons to pull you through

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Eating meat or eggs isn't bad in and of itself. It is peoples diets and lifestyles that are bad. For example, the Okinawa people in Japan are known to be some of the longest living people in the world and Japan, and it is often put down to their diet and lifestyle. They however consume more pork than the average Japanese person. It is all about quantities, quality of the meat, how you cook the meat, how many portions of fruit and veg you eat, how varied your diet is, your lifestyle and how much exercise you take. Pork, in small quantities, can actually make some useful contributions to ones diet in vitamin B12 and iron. But it shouldn't be consumed in excess and should be eaten as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
    What about the environmental impacts? What about the fact youre killing for pleasure why is that okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PensAndPaper)
    What about the environmental impacts? What about the fact youre killing for pleasure why is that okay
    I agree with the moral arguments for veganism. I mentioned on the second page of this thread about the issues regarding the meat industry.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post65509653

I fully support the moral arguments, but I don't agree with some of the health arguments that people make. I think it was someone in this thread that some said vegan diets are healthy, which is rather disingenuous. There is nothing about veganism that is innately healthy. One can have a healthy vegan diet, and one can have an unhealthy vegan diet. I find too many people make blanket statements, stretch the truth or make disingenuous arguments like the one about vegan diets being healthy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My advice: don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    I agree with the moral arguments for veganism. I mentioned on the second page of this thread about the issues regarding the meat industry.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post65509653

I fully support the moral arguments, but I don't agree with some of the health arguments that people make. I think it was someone in this thread that some said vegan diets are healthy, which is rather disingenuous. There is nothing about veganism that is innately healthy. One can have a healthy vegan diet, and one can have an unhealthy vegan diet. I find too many people make blanket statements, stretch the truth or make disingenuous arguments like the one about vegan diets being healthy.
    That is true. I mean you could live off chilli heat wave doritos, oreos and coke and still be vegan. I never tend to go with the health argument. But for most you tend to be much healthier after going vegan, because a lot of people do a 180 and switch from SAD diet to one consisting of mainly vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    why not for long term? if you are doing it then do it for long term and although is hard and demanding, its worth it if you are really into it. you need suplements if do dont eat correctly but if not you'll be fine, fresh, stronger and brand new. idk do as you wish but if i was you i will do research on the substitues, complete correct meals and excercises, and if you eat right then you wont crave non vegan food. besides there are vegan cakes and food that are absolutely delicious better than non vegan.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.