Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Then I imagine they have a seperate Recruitment section - Human Capital is what most professional services/IBs firms call tax consultants who advise others on how to make best use of their employees and to gain the best possible tax opportunites

Well I just remember my mate sending a letter to the Graduate Recruitment Manager and HCM at GS!

EDIT: http://www.gs.com/careers/inside_gol...al_management/ doesn't seem to have any mention of tax consulting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    Well I just remember my mate sending a letter to the Graduate Recruitment Manager and HCM at GS!
    Right, I have a feeling that GS are similar to Citinbank in that they use an outside recruitment firm anyway so they just pass it on to them

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness though, if you're willing to do the ground work and chase them a bit, in the process probable being told to piss off a few times; there are the opportunities out there for people to do a bit of work for an IB or Accountancy firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    In all seriousness though, if you're willing to do the ground work and chase them a bit, in the process probable being told to piss off a few times; there are the opportunities out there for people to do a bit of work for an IB or Accountancy firm.

So which people did you call? The HR dept? Everytime I have spoken to someone in HR they just really dont seem to have a clue about anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    I always thought your username was BazTheMonkey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I always thought your username was BazTheMonkey.
    Did I interupt the conversation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Did I interupt the conversation?

Yes, you've upset him now :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Curious to know, did you all get placements/internships at A-level or is this all whilst at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Erm, let me think.

A-Level
    Summer 1999 - 4.5 weeks
    Easter 2000 - 2 weeks
    Summer 2000 - 5 weeks
    Summer 2001 - 3 weeks

Degree
    Easter 2002 - 2 weeks
    Summer 2003 - 10 weeks

ReputationRep:
    am doing my work exp at JPMorgan atm but its nothing proper, its the a level programme they have. im making the most of it cz it wasnt competitive at all to get onto it and i know its the last time itll ever b like this!

i think its a bit unfair tho, cz they only told a few schools about it (which is why it wasnt competitve) and this includes the st pauls school which some ppl were talking about earlier.

am normally such a focused and 'i know ill b able to do this' kind of person but this week has really scared me; how intelligent all these people are and yet theyr all so normal and down to earth even though some work like from 9-midnight on a good day.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as this society is for people interested in investment banking and finance, I thought I would input a little :rolleyes:
    These are just a few things that the recruitment person at JPMorgan was telling us, some of it is a little obvious but there's no harm in repeating it I guess.

First thing she told us was to have a good handshake, not too soft and not too hard. Ok I know it sounds stupid but she said u can tell a lot from handshakes so we’d best get practising I guess.

Also smile lots and watch what you do with your hands while being interviewed, wave them around and ur going to be distracting the interviewer from what you’re saying.

Get to your interview with plenty of time to spare and carry an umbrella. She really emphasised that, apparently they had lots of people getting to their interview completely soaked by an unlucky shower and so a bit thrown off and not in interview mode.

When answering questions in the interview, give examples for everything u say. If they ask ‘why should we take you?’ and u answer among other things ‘I am analytical’, say how ur analytical eg. Through studying chem at A-level blah blah blah… this was the biggest kind of tip she gave us. It doesn’t all have to be academic, relate it to everything you do.

When filling in application forms, be careful when you copy and paste! She said that every year at JPMorgan, they get at least 20 applicants saying ‘I want to carry out an internship at Goldman Sachs because…..’. Pretty much automatic disqualification, doesn’t help if uv also said in ur appl that u pay attention to detail!

Also, at career fairs and stuff, make sure u go up to the people at the stands and talk to them. The lady from jpm said that she takes down the names of people who come to hav a little chat with her or ask a few questions and then when the applications come in, she will actually sift through all of them and look for that person and make sure they get an interview. Im just telling u what she told us so please don’t blame me if u do this and don’t get an interview….
    Also, she said get ur appl in as early as possible. If a deadline is in nov, send it in sept. they have a general belief that the best applicants come through first, so this maximises your chance for interview.

Make sure you have slightly prepared answers for dodgy questions they like to ask such as ‘what are your weaknesses’ (often paired with strengths) and ‘what is the biggest challenge you have overcome and how did you overcome it?’
    With the weaknesses question, try to avoid the killer ‘im a perfectionist’. They hear it all the time and might then try to get something else out of u like ‘ok then, what are 3 of ur weaknesses’ in which case ull stammer and b like ‘er…er…err’.. a really good format she said to use was ‘I used to be really ______ but I overcame this by ______’. Aaah u see uv linked a few things together!
    With the challenges question, it doesn’t have to be academic or link directly to banking, again its just a general thing.

She also said that a problem lots of girls had was to be very humble about when they had a weakness somewhere, whereas boys would twist it around a lot more and so kind of hide the weakness if that makes sense. So she told us ladies to not be scared of twisting stuff around to make us look good!

Can’t remember much else, may come back and edit if more comes to me..
    Last useful thing I can tell u is probs which unis JPMorgan go to but I cant speak for other banks. JPM go to oxford, Cambridge, they do all the London unis together, then theyv just picked up Durham this year and just stopped going to Warwick. Also go to Edinburgh and I cant remember which one in Ireland but I think they grouped all the Irish unis together as they did for London unis.

However they accept applications from all unis, these are just the ones they have time to go and see. She said ‘it doesn’t matter which uni u come from’ and seemed v sincere about this but we were all kind of like ‘hmmm really…’.
    Having said that, although a lot of the people we spoke to were LSE/Oxbridge, we also met people that were interning from Reading, graduated from queen mary, Exeter and UMIST. We were told time and time again what makes you stand out is internships.

Anyhoo hope that’s helped. Not trying to pretend I know everything, just repeating stuff we were told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Mangomaz: Excellent post, cheers.
    Yup much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    ^5 mangomaz ....very useful , gracias!

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious as to why they dropped Warwick for Durham. It seems a little insulting to such a great university, but I guess JPM is the top dog in this case and can do what it likes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    Having said that, although a lot of the people we spoke to were LSE/Oxbridge, we also met people that were interning from Reading, graduated from queen mary, Exeter and UMIST. We were told time and time again what makes you stand out is internships.
    This is something people are quite paranoid about.

It's true that most interns come from big/posh/traditional universities, there's no point in saying anything different. I think what many students forget is that a lot of people apply from said universities, and for Oxbridge anyway, it's imposible to work in term time, so holiday work is the only form of income avalible (other than loan, parents, ect.) On top of this, and I think it's something people don't like to admit, but in general the students that go to these universities are the "elite", and that's what companies want; people who perform the task to the highest possible quality with the least effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PuffDaddy)
    I'm curious as to why they dropped Warwick for Durham. It seems a little insulting to such a great university, but I guess JPM is the top dog in this case and can do what it likes.
    i asked her about this actually cz my insurance is warwick! she said that the people at warwick in general didnt seem that interested and didnt really seem to value them being there. but she did say they get a few v good applications from there.
    i want to work for jpmorgan!! :'(

ReputationRep:
    hey jools....please could you add me to the society?!

ReputationRep:
    I found this to be a pretty good resource for career info. It's the Oxbridge career handbook:

http://www.pentri.com/occh/management_home.html

I must agree with the management consultant wannabes on here, it does look pretty hot.

Hey Jools I'm surprised you didn't tell us of this resource, guess you're trying to minimise your competition, not that we have anything on you.lol

ReputationRep:
    sorry i havent read the whole thread but was just wondering if someone can help me out, i guess this is the right place.

my companies shares are £15 and i can get them for £12, this sounds good but there must be some fees and other stuff. can someone help shall i buy some shares? would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    sorry i havent read the whole thread but was just wondering if someone can help me out, i guess this is the right place.

my companies shares are £15 and i can get them for £12, this sounds good but there must be some fees and other stuff. can someone help shall i buy some shares? would you?
    Which company?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2005
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.