LSE 2017 Applicants

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I´m an international student applying for international relations. I am an average student with a passion for this course, but I don´t want to get my hopes up because this is a very prestigious uni, very difficult to get in. I would like to know if you guys think I could stand a chance with a very strong personal statement.
    IGCSEs: A,B,A,C,A,AB,C,

AS: Geography- B (3 points away from the A)
    Business Studies - B
    Spanish Literature- A (3 points away from the A*)
    I´m also doing English Literature and Language but the exam is next year.I am not completely sure about my target grades, but i think english is around the B.

Extracurriculars:
    - I´m been the founder and leader of the first Girl Up club in Spain for 2 years (this is the 2)
    - Girl Up is a United Nations programme that helps empower woman- Also, i work as a teacher´s assistant with little kids.
    - I´ve translated in the parent´s evenings for primary since Y9, every term, helping translate information from the teacher to Spanish parents and vice versa.

I´ve heard that even if the usual standard offer is AAA, if you don´t meet those grades but have a strong PS can enable you to be accepted. Should I apply?

ReputationRep:
    Maths with economics applicant. 3A*s 6As 2Bs at GCSE and AAAA at AS (Maths, FM, Physics, Economics) . Predictions haven't all been confirmed yet but it will either be A*A*A*A* or A*A*A*A.

Don't think I'll get an offer because my personal statement is nothing special imo. Worth applying though I hope...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to apply for accounting and finance.

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth taking 2 years out for LSE ? Or UCL ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to apply to do accounting and finance in 2017 but I'm kind of unsure, because:

At GCSE, I got 2 A*s and 7 As, however I got a C in English language which might ruin my chances, should I redo my English language to make it better, or do you think it doesn't really matter?

I've got 3 As at AS level and I think I can probably get AAA or A*AA at the end of A2. Again, however, two of my subjects are on their "non preferred" subject list (I do Maths, Accounting and ICT).

I might phone up admissions to ask if I meet the criteria but I know they don't really discuss suitability for applications.

What do you guys think I should do?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a post a level applicant and I'm applying for maths with Econ

ReputationRep:
    Is no one applying for Business maths and stats or stats and finance??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AM66)
    Is no one applying for Business maths and stats or stats and finance??
    I was thinking about it as im applying for maths and stats at all of my other unis but the fact that its not pure maths deterred me a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauuu99)
    Hi, I´m an international student applying for international relations. I am an average student with a passion for this course, but I don´t want to get my hopes up because this is a very prestigious uni, very difficult to get in. I would like to know if you guys think I could stand a chance with a very strong personal statement.
    IGCSEs: A,B,A,C,A,AB,C,

AS: Geography- B (3 points away from the A)
    Business Studies - B
    Spanish Literature- A (3 points away from the A*)
    I´m also doing English Literature and Language but the exam is next year.I am not completely sure about my target grades, but i think english is around the B.

Extracurriculars:
    - I´m been the founder and leader of the first Girl Up club in Spain for 2 years (this is the 2)
    - Girl Up is a United Nations programme that helps empower woman- Also, i work as a teacher´s assistant with little kids.
    - I´ve translated in the parent´s evenings for primary since Y9, every term, helping translate information from the teacher to Spanish parents and vice versa.

I´ve heard that even if the usual standard offer is AAA, if you don´t meet those grades but have a strong PS can enable you to be accepted. Should I apply?
    Hey,

Firstly, good effort trying to confuse the reader by putting the IGCSE grades in random order .

Secondly, in AS there are no A*s, thats only in A2. Also, by "3 points" do you mean 3 marks or 3 UMS. (Doesnt matter that much which it is to be honest)

Thirdly, it is true that in some cases having an amazing PS "might" make up for lower grades (to get the conditional offer), but thats not always the case and also if it is, you still have to meet the requirements they ask you for in A2 though! If you miss the grade by even 1 mark, you will most likely get rejected no matter what (not even joking). Make sure you apply with the prediction of at least what they need, if its less then you are unlikely to get an offer since they dont interview you. They do sometimes give the UGAA test though.

Lastly, your extra curriculum points are alright, but I dont have that much information about the course you are applying for. Make sure they are related to your course though, if possible.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BushraFatima)
    Hello!I am looking for someone to transfer to my Urbanest Kings Cross tenancy. The room is 217.45 a week it is a single spacious private room, you share with two other lovely flatmates and have two bathroom and a kitchen. It is near Kings Cross and is only 20 minute train commute away from LSE!.If this sounds interesting to you than please reply ASAP
    This thread is for applicants, so probably no one will be interested in this until about next year. You will be better off asking the facebook/whatsapp group chats in my opinion, but also maybe try other LSE threads for current students, if there are any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danllo)
    Is it worth taking 2 years out for LSE ? Or UCL ?
    What do you mean?
    For what course?
    Have you done A-Levels? Are you in University? Usually people take 1 extra year to reapply or something, but what is your 2 year situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luisgouveia98)
    I'm going to apply to do accounting and finance in 2017 but I'm kind of unsure, because:

At GCSE, I got 2 A*s and 7 As, however I got a C in English language which might ruin my chances, should I redo my English language to make it better, or do you think it doesn't really matter?

I've got 3 As at AS level and I think I can probably get AAA or A*AA at the end of A2. Again, however, two of my subjects are on their "non preferred" subject list (I do Maths, Accounting and ICT).

I might phone up admissions to ask if I meet the criteria but I know they don't really discuss suitability for applications.

What do you guys think I should do?
    You can retake the English, but you might be better off just doing IELTS after you recieve an offer.
    Your grades look fine, but the fact that 2 are on the "non-preferred" list makes it probably a weak application. Why doing ICT though? Should have done Economics or something along those lines maybe. You should contact LSE to ask. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNicholas)
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a post a level applicant and I'm applying for maths with Econ
    If you dont mind sharing, what results did you get? On gap year now or retaking?
    Did you get an offer from them last year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fbiemad)
    If you dont mind sharing, what results did you get? On gap year now or retaking?
    Did you get an offer from them last year?
    Yeah sure that's fine,
    I'm on a gap year
    I didn't apply last year,
    My results are:
    5A*s 6As GCSE
    4As AS
    A*AA A2 with 97% maths and 2 marks off A* FM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fbiemad)
    Hey,

Firstly, good effort trying to confuse the reader by putting the IGCSE grades in random order .

Secondly, in AS there are no A*s, thats only in A2. Also, by "3 points" do you mean 3 marks or 3 UMS. (Doesnt matter that much which it is to be honest)

Thirdly, it is true that in some cases having an amazing PS "might" make up for lower grades (to get the conditional offer), but thats not always the case and also if it is, you still have to meet the requirements they ask you for in A2 though! If you miss the grade by even 1 mark, you will most likely get rejected no matter what (not even joking). Make sure you apply with the prediction of at least what they need, if its less then you are unlikely to get an offer since they dont interview you. They do sometimes give the UGAA test though.

Lastly, your extra curriculum points are alright, but I dont have that much information about the course you are applying for. Make sure they are related to your course though, if possible.

Good luck.

Thanks for answering my questions hahaha really helped me

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am considering applying for history at LSE. Although I got 10 A*s and an A at GCSE, my AS levels weren't as strong with ABBC. I am predicted AAA, do you think i stand a chance because i know the course is ridiculously competitive and don't want to waste a uni option? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's: 4A*, 6As,1B.
    AS: Only did Geography AS and got an A.
    (General Studies-B)
    Predicted grades- A*AA (Geo, Chem, Phys)
    Applying for IR at LSE. What are my chances?

ReputationRep:
    I got a C in English lang iGCSE and they require a B for English language. So shall I give up my dreams of going to LSE?
    Would the A in english lit be able to somehow substitute it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    I got a C in English lang iGCSE and they require a B for English language. So shall I give up my dreams of going to LSE?
    Would the A in english lit be able to somehow substitute it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I dont know if you can substitute it, you can ask them.
    But getting a C in English doesnt mean they will 100% reject you. If you get accepted they will require an IELTS grade from you instead since your IGCSE English doesnt meet the requirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username7777)
    Hi, I am considering applying for history at LSE. Although I got 10 A*s and an A at GCSE, my AS levels weren't as strong with ABBC. I am predicted AAA, do you think i stand a chance because i know the course is ridiculously competitive and don't want to waste a uni option? Thank you
    Dont have that much information on the course you are applying, but it really depends which subject you got those grades in, especially the C.
    If you want an honest opinion, real the spoiler. Good luck.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If the C is in an important subject, I recommend you not to apply as you might waste one of your choices. Also, remember that many students with higher predictions get rejected (dont know about your course though, but saying in general), so maybe its not worth wasting your choice on it if for your course its very competitive too. HOWEVER, if you have some safe options within your other 4 choices, then maybe give this one a go as your predictions meet the requirement.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.