Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The group four placement of lead was a bit confusing, but elements in group four DO NOT produce ions; neither postive nor negative. You needed to use the fact that there were two Br atoms, each with a charge of 1-, to conclude that Pb must have a charge of 2+, as the formula said that 2 Br atoms go with 1 Pb atom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Elmo)
    I really liked that paper funnily enough, a couple things were confusing but not too bad. Did you have to discuss bonds forming vs breaking on the last 6 marker, as im sure that is part of C7. I simply discussed what the graphs showed and what it meant in terms of energy
    I was thinking about writing about the breaking and making of bonds but I saw a mark scheme I think for 2013 on the same topic (energy level graphs) and it says no marks credited for speaking of this so I dunno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmedismail_1)
    i talked about electrons instead of ions in the 6 mark question?
    Technically, you really had to talk about ions, there werent any free elecgrons, as it werent a metal.

ReputationRep:
    What did you put For Matt thinkin about what compounds were alkali?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Elmo)
    I really liked that paper funnily enough, a couple things were confusing but not too bad. Did you have to discuss bonds forming vs breaking on the last 6 marker, as im sure that is part of C7. I simply discussed what the graphs showed and what it meant in terms of energy
    Yeah I dont think you had to talk about that, it is in C7.

ReputationRep:
    And what were similar properties of alkali metals? I put they react with cold water to produce a metal hydroxide and hydrogen gas as well as the fact that they have 1 electron in their outer shell. I also said how they are alkali metals that react with the halogens 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmedismail_1)
    i talked about electrons instead of ions in the 6 mark question?
    Technically, you really had to talk about ions, there werent any free elecgrons, as it werent a metal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Was the one that should have given -30°C 50g? I did it in 2 seconds because I was really pushed for time and didn't have time to check

Also what did you all get for the half equation? I think I got it wrong as my friends got something different. I put Pb⁴+ + 4e- -> Pb
    Yes that is right.
    And your friend is incorrect, it was Pb2+ + 2e- --> Pb sorry about the symbols

ReputationRep:
    I know, it was the middle of the paper that really just made me want to give up! All I remember is bloody diamond and graphite and it didn't even come up same, I'd contribute but I got lots wrong haha. I'm glad the environment didn't come up - that's where I always go wrong. I'm doing P456 today ahead of Thursday. That should be nice, I love physics
    Same tbh, at first I thought the paper was ok but now I've realised just how badly I've done!
    exactly - i was so upset that diamond didn't come up. I got tonnes wrong! I'm just hoping I got 35/60 cos that's an A... usually. I'm going to do physics tonight but I hate that too, wow, you're one of the few I know how actually likes physics but didn't you say you did well on core chemistry? It should balance out. I need to move on now aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnonymousMan)
    And what were similar properties of alkali metals? I put they react with cold water to produce a metal hydroxide and hydrogen gas as well as the fact that they have 1 electron in their outer shell. I also said how they are alkali metals that react with the halogens 😂
    Well done! That's great. I said they all have 1 electron in their outer shell so i at least got 1/60 lol jk, I can't remember what else I said though

ReputationRep:
    Anyone remember those electrolysis zinc questions?? i think i messed up on those

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone say that lead had a lower melting point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    does that mean ill get 0 marks

ReputationRep:
    Is there a physics thread or can someone create one please?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I did. And it actually does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reu_taylor)
    Is there a physics thread or can someone create one please?
    Yeah as lead bromide has a higher one and lead melted meaning it has a lower melting point than 373. The actual melting point is 327.5 so yeah

ReputationRep:
    I said that they have 0H- ions which shows they are alkaline and a PH of less than 7 and that the negative ion if hydroxide but he positive ion changes

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neginmortazzavi)
    I said that they have 0H- ions which shows they are alkaline and a PH of less than 7 and that the negative ion if hydroxide but he positive ion changes
    But ammonia had hydroxide ions. And the bonds were covalent

ReputationRep:
    That's what my friends put. But lead is in group 4??
    Well I got this question wrong, I just guessed that lead was a positive ion and put Pb+ + e- = Pb

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.