Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    I am surprised that people are actually against fasting... I find it so lovely that people actually do it (considering the purpose of it) and I know for a fact I would struggle doing it so all respect to those fasting particularly during exams!
    Thanks, much appreciated and all the best in your exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehaan)
    Well if the patient is that ill you could test if her had capacity ie if he can remember and understand information given to him. If he fails this test then he can be treated in his best interest under the medical ethical principles of beneficence and non maleficience. If not we would have to respect thei autonomy and find another way to raise their falling blood pressure whilst we convince him of needing to break their fast. This patient also is misinformed about how he can break his fast as his body needs him to so you could get in touch with the local imam
    Capacity is determined by 4 facets, 1) Understanding 2) Retaining info 3) Weighing up 4) Communicating one's decision. If he explicitly states he refuses treatment and he's been deemed to have capacity. Treating him is battery and in fact finding another way (unless he consents to the new treatment) would also be seen as battery. It's almost frightening to think that despite knowing what's best for your patient sometimes your hands are tied, guess that's part of their autonomy. If capacity is assumed always respect autonomy above the other principles.

As for the 2 ethical principles you mentioned, I've barely heard them mentioned after medschool interviews, medical ethics is taught in medschool mainly based off past real life cases and legal aspects along with some basic ethical principle stuff chucked in there :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yhyh)
    hypothetically in your scenario the persons allowed to break his fast if they can't do it due to medical reasons as it says in the quran. PROBLEM SOLVED
    Ahhh but the patient refuses to do so in this case , I guess it's all relative and hypothetical but on wards you do see some people who explicitly refuse treatment, (maybe not in such a life threatening situation) based off religious morals. Whether they have an intimate knowledge of the intricacies of the rulings of their religion in certain circumstances is another question, but an interesting idea nonetheless!

ReputationRep:
    are you doing full fasting, or just stuffing your face before bedtime

ReputationRep:
    Also, your stomach shrinks during ramadan so you become less hungry.

When will you start slowing?

ReputationRep:
    why not, instead of fasting - mandatorily commit to 1 month of charitable time/ acts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    why not, instead of fasting - mandatorily commit to 1 month of charitable time/ acts?
    Fasting is one of the 5 pillars so it's obligatory for all muslim to do this unless you are elderly, on medication, pregnant or breastfeeding or menstruating you don't have to fast but have to make it up another time or pay money to feed the poor if you can't make it up.
    Plus we already do charitable acts such as giving money to charity and feeding the local mosques amongst other things this month.

We don't stuff our faces I personally don't feel that hungry at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    Fasting is one of the 5 pillars so it's obligatory for all muslim to do this unless you are elderly, on medication, pregnant or breastfeeding or menstruating you don't have to fast but have to make it up another time or pay money to feed the poor if you can't make it up.
    Plus we already do charitable acts such as giving money to charity and feeding the local mosques amongst other things this month.

We don't stuff our faces I personally don't feel that hungry at night.
    i think it would be more constructive to spend a full month of your time to do charitable acts rather than make some ritual not to eat in day light - mother theresa for example never fasted but helped thousands of homeless children

i have been to broad st in birmignham during ramadan and people are literally shovelling food in themselves at 1am, all unhealthy stuff too fried chicken plus sugary stuff for energy sweets cakes choclates icecream etc etc. by starving yourself in day time it is ineivtable you will binge eat at night becuase will be so hungry / have lack of energy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    i think it would be more constructive to spend a full month of your time to do charitable acts rather than make some ritual not to eat in day light - mother theresa for example never fasted but helped thousands of homeless children

i have been to broad st in birmignham during ramadan and people are literally shovelling food in themselves at 1am, all unhealthy stuff too fried chicken plus sugary stuff for energy sweets cakes choclates icecream etc etc. by starving yourself in day time it is ineivtable you will binge eat at night becuase will be so hungry / have lack of energy
    That makes sense but as a Muslim its the 5 pillars of Islam we have to do that. Obviously again stuffing your face.. You should obviously eat properly as you won't have food for a very long time but sugary snacks and fried food at 1am well thats just how people eat :/ Personally, I try to be healthy because I know my body is also cleansing itself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.