Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why did God allow 50 innocent people to get murdered? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Why does no one have the right to question him? The way you described God is as if he is discriminatory and unfair

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because he is god and we are sinful plebs. That's the hierarchy and that's all it will ever be.

This is the fundamental beliefs of the major religions, forget about the 'loving father' image, that's irrelevant and they only bring up that argument when it's convenient. The baseline is that when terrible things happen, we cannot question it.

If God exists, he has allowed considerably more than 50 innocent people to be murdered over the course of human history. Why only ask this now?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest im not here to defend God he dont need no one to do that . if God was to rid the world of evil he would get rid of us cause we all have evil in us . when u ***** about a person or lusted about another that was evil. it is just Gods is so good he has mercy on us and allows us to exert our free will cause that was promised to us. God didnt say kill those people , the man did , his actions are his own

ReputationRep:
    gay lives dont matter in gods great plan, praise be to allah (pbuh). you westerners must be able to see this or forever burn in hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kendrik Lamar)
    I was not attacking your debating skills. I was only saying that using profanity doesn't help. Regarding the word 'obviously', it was, once again, not a personal attack. I was just pointing out that taking subjective personal opinions and stances, and generalizing them is perhaps part of what obscures the underlying points.
    Again, I apologize if I offended you
    What you said wasn't a personal attack at all, hence why I wasn't offended. I just thought you were trying to discredit what I said.

Put in a different way, I said that "With all the ugliness in the world, don't you think people's faith in God is tested each passing day? Don't you think it's much simpler (and hell even convenient) to believe that humans evolved from apes?" is only true because it is difficult for a reasonable thinker to believe in something so illogical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    What you said wasn't a personal attack at all, hence why I wasn't offended. I just thought you were trying to discredit what I said.

Put in a different way, I said that "With all the ugliness in the world, don't you think people's faith in God is tested each passing day? Don't you think it's much simpler (and hell even convenient) to believe that humans evolved from apes?" is only true because it is difficult for a reasonable thinker to believe in something illogical.
    Thank you very much for putting it that way. That 'it is difficult for a reasonable thinker to believe in something illogical.' Well, no one said it was going to be easy. It is extremely hard. That's perhaps why some who won't (perhaps because they can't) get there logically do so through faith (I know you almost puked there). It is true that bounded rationality is behind many believers' faith in a God. But people who guess sometimes get the right answer. I had asked before, is it being claimed that a reasonable thinker can't believe in God?
    BTW, Evolution is a very valid theory. But it takes more than validity to make a perspective right.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for putting it that way. That 'it is difficult for a reasonable thinker to believe in something illogical.' Well, no one said it was going to be easy. It is extremely hard. That's perhaps why some who won't (perhaps because they can't) get there logically do so through faith (I know you almost puked there). It is true that bounded rationality is behind many believers' faith in a God. But people who guess sometimes get the right answer. I had asked before, is it being claimed that a reasonable thinker can't believe in God?
    BTW, Evolution is a very valid theory. But it takes more than validity to make a perspective right.
    A reasonable thinker will struggle to maintain a belief in the Abrahamic God (Since we are talking about Christianity).

But faith is irrational, what is the difference between faith and delusion?
    Is it just that one is less contradictory to reality than the other?

When one theory is more valid than another, why would you settle for the least valid?
    Perhaps it is because the solace of believing in life after death is something that is worth overlooking the ill-founded aspects for. Not only that but to not have a sense of a greater purpose and a meaning of life is unsettling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApieceOFsoap)
    kys
    0/10

ReputationRep:
    A reasonable thinker
    People define 'reasonable' differently. And I'm not just saying this to be argumentative.
    will struggle to maintain a belief
    That's exactly my point. It is this struggle that non-believers don't want to have to deal with. This is why I say it is harder to be a believer.

But faith is irrational
    Again, it depends on how each individual defines rationality
    what is the difference between faith and delusion?
    One is voluntary and made in full awareness of the conscious mind.

When one theory is more valid than another
    I never said evolution was more valid. I only said it is valid, in the philosophical context of an argument
    why would you settle for the least valid?
    First, nobody says Religion is less valid. Secondly, who says anyone settled.People are still searching.
    Perhaps it is because the solace of believing in life after death is something that is worth overlooking the ill-founded aspects for.
    You know, I could flip that coin and say the solace of knowing that your actions now will not be punishable in the future is worth leaning away from Religion for. But I respect you too much to do that.
    Not only that but to not have a sense of a greater purpose and a meaning of life is unsettling.
    Hmm...does that sense come with religion? I think atheists are among the most settled people around, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    People define 'reasonable' differently. And I'm not just saying this to be argumentative.

That's exactly my point. It is this struggle that non-believers don't want to have to deal with. This is why I say it is harder to be a believer.

Again, it depends on how each individual defines rationality

One is voluntary and made in full awareness of the conscious mind.

I never said evolution was more valid. I only said it is valid, in the philosophical context of an argument

First, nobody says Religion is less valid. Secondly, who says anyone settled.People are still searching.

You know, I could flip that coin and say the solace of knowing that your actions now will not be punishable in the future is worth leaning away from Religion for. But I respect you too much to do that.

Hmm...does that sense come with religion? I think atheists are among the most settled people around, don't you?
    It is a struggle, but only for people with all their marbles intact. And it's a struggle worth going through in order to comfort oneself with wishful thinking about death and purpose.
    You were saying it's a struggle because it's hard not to sin. I doubt that Atheists even factor this into their thinking when testing the validity of a Religion.

"based on or in accordance with reason or logic."

A delusion is quite often voluntary and I doubt anyone has full awareness & control over their own conscious mind (not entirely sure what you mean by that).

Flipping that coin would lead me to think you believed all atheists are theists who want to escape fear of their 'punishment' for their 'sins'. Which is ridiculous.
    Don't you ever think how immoral it is to only ever do good because you will be punished if you don't?
    Besides, let's not forget that Hell is not a universal christian belief and the scriptures about it are very little to go on.
    Spoiler:
    Show

What do you mean by a settled people? Massive generalisation to make. That wasn't the main issue anyway, it's discomforting to not have a sense of purpose and meaning, you know this is true, it is human nature.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Objectively, religious doctrine is less valid. It did actually seem like you were admitting that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    you do realise ALLAH is the arabic name for God just like God is the english name for Allah.
    God and Allah are the same person. What about the christian arabs they refer to god as Allah?
    In ethiopia chrisitans call God (አምላክ) they don't call God, God .
    Your argument is weak and invalid.
    May god bless us all.
    steffparker0506 1st of all what is it you two think I'm saying that makes you two disagree with me so aggressively, with "Princess" calling me "weak and invalid" and you steff repping her post saying this...?
    Secondly what steff said about the 10 commandments and breaking them creating our consequences as humans is totally true, I never spoke against that?

My thing is do you two even know the story? Islam and Christianity are two different religions. So which 10 commandments are you on about and what are you agreeing with exactly, Princess?

They have two different gods, two different 10 commandments. The murderer HERE IS MUSLIM. He pledged to ISIL as a martyr. The CHRISTIAN god does NOT want gays to be murdered. You're probably Muslim and getting angry that I am making it clear that this man did this for HIS religion. just because Islam has its own translation for the word God (obviously?!) it doesn't mean that all the gods are the same (obviously?!) and it damn sure doesn't mean that this Omar Mateen man did this for MY god. He did it for YOURS. Just deal with it and don't ever insult anything I post just because you can't handle it.

ReputationRep:
    A reasonable thinker will struggle to maintain a belief in the Abrahamic God (Since we are talking about Christianity).

But faith is irrational, what is the difference between faith and delusion?
    Is it just that one is less contradictory to reality than the other?

When one theory is more valid than another, why would you settle for the least valid?
    Perhaps it is because the solace of believing in life after death is something that is worth overlooking the ill-founded aspects for. Not only that but to not have a sense of a greater purpose and a meaning of life is unsettling.
    Why IS ANYONE talking about Christianity though!? The murderer is Islamic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    steffparker0506 1st of all what is it you two think I'm saying that makes you two disagree with me so aggressively, with "Princess" calling me "weak and invalid" and you steff repping her post saying this...?
    Secondly what steff said about the 10 commandments and breaking them creating our consequences as humans is totally true, I never spoke against that?

My thing is do you two even know the story? Islam and Christianity are two different religions. So which 10 commandments are you on about and what are you agreeing with exactly, Princess?

They have two different gods, two different 10 commandments. The murderer HERE IS MUSLIM. He pledged to ISIL as a martyr. The CHRISTIAN god does NOT want gays to be murdered. You're probably Muslim and getting angry that I am making it clear that this man did this for HIS religion. just because Islam has its own translation for the word God (obviously?!) it doesn't mean that all the gods are the same (obviously?!) and it damn sure doesn't mean that this Omar Mateen man did this for MY god. He did it for YOURS. Just deal with it and don't ever insult anything I post just because you can't handle it.
    Just saying ALLAH is the arabic name for GOD. Christian Arabs refer to god as ALLAH

ReputationRep:
    Just saying ALLAH is the arabic name for GOD. Christian Arabs refer to god as ALLAH
    No don't "just say" anything to me. You insulted me not knowing what you the hell you were talking about. And why you're telling me that Allah means God like I'm 6 is the most "weak and invalid" thing on this thread yet. Again what is your point for saying this to me? There were several questions targeted toward a capable human being to answer. And you failed to do that. So maybe you're not so capable to discuss this with me.

The questions were:
    1. Did you even bother to read the article?
    2. Do you know the man is Islamic, not Christian?
    3. Therefore, which 10 commandments are you speaking of? The Cristian or the Islamic?
    4. Were you even aware they're two different passages with 10 totally different commandments?
    5. Are you aware that just because Islam has its own word for Allah that it doesn't mean Islamic principle is the same as another religions? Hence them being different religions in the 1st place?

Last thing I say to you: I'm "just saying" that the murderer here is Islamic so why is Christianity even being brought up? :rolleyes: That's why I sarcastically said ask Allah meaning crack open the Koran to see what IT says about homosexuals and if Omar Mateen did the right thing according to HIS religion. NOTHING about differentiating two different religions is "weak and invalid."

ReputationRep:
    This just went to a whole other level I'm not sure many would be interested engaging in. 'Burden of proof' is legal terminology. I think we can all be in agreement that matters of faith and physical evidence are so divergent to a point of almost being mutually exclusive. Asking for 'proof' in matters of religion is futile. But even many of the non-religious types agree that standards of proof in legal terms are not realistic in everyday life. So let's just keep it fair and square. Win this argument clean and let's not resort to easy-ways-out
    Nonsense. Burden of proof is a very common term employed in the context of debates, especially theological and philosophical ones. Don't insult people's intelligence by saying it's hard to understand, it's not. Simply put, it's the requirement of those making the extraordinary claims to provide the extraordinary evidence. So it is you who is taking the easy way out by making unfounded claims about reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    We should just be grateful that we are not his targets. Yet.
    Good lord, you make God sound like the murderer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Why IS ANYONE talking about Christianity though!? The murderer is Islamic!
    I know the cursed ******* murderer was ISLAMIC! I NEVER ONCE DENIED IT!
    You keep talking about your Christian God. My question to you is what do you say to the Christian Arabs in levant (jordan-syria) who call God Allah and not God? They are not calling God Allah to associate themselves with Muslims. They are simply doing so becuase Allah is their language for GOD!
    i knew the man was not Chrisitian never said he was stop putting word in my mouth!

R.I.P To all who have ever died from such tragedies.

ReputationRep:
    I know the cursed ******* murderer was ISLAMIC! I NEVER ONCE DENIED IT!
    You keep talking about your Christian God. My question to you is what do you say to the Christian Arabs in levant (jordan-syria) who call God Allah and not God? They are not calling God Allah to associate themselves with Muslims. They are simply doing so becuase Allah is their language for GOD!
    i knew the man was not Chrisitian never said he was stop putting word in my mouth!

R.I.P To all who have ever died from such tragedies.
    Why are you still mentioning the meaning of Allah and its relation to the English word God!? Why are you bickering with me about semantics?! I've moved passed that and everything else seems to be flying over your head! I already said to you I said Allah sarcastically to refer to people confusing Christianity's God with Islam's because the man who did this probably speaks Arabic since he reads the Quran. That is it! Why are you still talking about the word?

ANYWAY as I SAID this man is Islamic so why is anyone talking about Christianity?! And I never said you DENIED he was Islamic! I asked if you even were AWARE because if you are then AGAIN WHICH 10 commandments are you on about?! You STILL haven't answered! You want to deflect with stubbornness and aggression like I'm going to forget what I asked you that YOU STILL FAIL to simply answer! You just want to be defensive about the goddamn word Allah to pretend like you know something, which I already explained why I used it, it was satirical!

Again which 10 commandments? And WHY are we talking about Christianity when this man answers to a totally different God? If you have the answer, share and then go away. Don't keep yelling about the word! I never put any word in your mouth!? Can you read?! I never said you said he is Christian! I asked are you aware he's NOT. And thus Christianity is IRRELEVANT. That's it, you're lost. You have no idea what the conversation is, you have poor reading comprehension, and you didn't even bother to read the article. You just want to say RIP for reps and beg for follows. That's fine but don't hack the conversation with you ignorance and then shoot insults at me that you can't justify or explain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApieceOFsoap)
    gay lives dont matter in gods great plan, praise be to allah (pbuh). you westerners must be able to see this or forever burn in hell.
    It's a joke, right?

ReputationRep:
    Just because Islam has its own word for God just because of language, it doesn't mean that their God is the same as Christianity's!? It's two totally different religions, who has to have this explained to them?! And because the murderer is Islamic, people should be arguing about ISLAM'S views toward homosexuality! To see if Omar Mateen did the "right" thing for HIS religion. Why is Christianity being discussed then? Because it also has a word for God? So therefore Christianity's god is the same as Islam's, so let's have a go at Christians? Makes no sense!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.