Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you decided how you're going to vote yet? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you made up your mind about how to vote yet?
    Yes I'm definite about my vote
    75.29%
    No- I've not decided yet
    5.29%
    I'm not going to vote
    9.41%
    I keep changing my mind
    10.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    Yet they predict a recession after leaving of 0.1% gdp... If you say 0.5% is so small then that recession is miniscule.

Immigration is a huge problem and has nothing to do with race/culture but all to do with planning and infrastructure. Stop painting leavers as racist.
    Let's assume such a recession lasts a minimum of 6 months (generous). Considering GDP currently grows at around 1% every 6 months, and in 6 months 0.25% of GDP would be saved by not having to make contributions to the EU budget, we'd still be worse off by about 0.85% of GDP (1-0.25-(-0.1)). *Not to mention the fact that any loss in GDP would be far greater than 0.1%. Any amount of research would tell you that.

I mentioned how immigration is clearly causing issues with infrastructure when I mentioned the housing crisis. But leaving the EU is not the only way we can tackle this. I also never said wanting to leave made you racist, but some arguments used by those who want to leave are clearly racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Erm... are you trying to use the weekly figure as a percentage of our annual figure?

And you say the Leave campaign is lying?
    No. It's around 0.5% of GDP once the weekly figured has been changed to an annual figure. Check for yourself if you don't believe me. Idiot.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Erm... are you trying to use the weekly figure as a percentage of our annual figure?

And you say the Leave campaign is lying?
    JoshC98

UK GDP: £2.8 trillion (IMF)
    UK Net EU contribution: £8.5 billion

8.5/2800 = 0.3%

Erm, 0.5% was too high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    JoshC98

UK GDP: £2.8 trillion (IMF)
    UK Net EU contribution: £8.5 billion

8.5/2800 = 0.3%

Erm, 0.5% was too high
    (Original post by JoshC98)
    No. It's around 0.5% of GDP once the weekly figured has been changed to an annual figure. Check for yourself if you don't believe me. Idiot.
    Not actually a relevant figure.

GDP represents everything the country makes, which isn't relevant in terms of the rebate. What is relevant is government budget and deficit.

£10.3bn a year would be a huge addition to the government budget, or a huge cut to our deficit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)

£10.3bn a year would be a huge addition to the government budget, or a huge cut to our deficit.
    10.3/772 = 1.3% of Government expenditure for 2016/17. This is not a huge addition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AYellowBelly)
    10.3/772 = 1.3% of Government expenditure for 2016/17. This is not a huge addition
    Given that it'd be enough to pay a quarter of our defence budget, yes it would.

It's still a hell of a lot of money, even if it's not a massive proportion. Just because we also have a lot of other money doesn't mean that the 10bn cant be used for schools, hospitals etc.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Not actually a relevant figure.

GDP represents everything the country makes, which isn't relevant in terms of the rebate. What is relevant is government budget and deficit.

Oh so now you know it was correct you say it's irrelevant? Great.

(£10.3 bn? - it's £8.5 bn net.)

Annual UK Budget is £750 billion. So it's 1.1% of the budget. That's the skin in the game. The cost of doing EU business and participating in the EU.

Seems a pretty fair deal.

Think I will go with the consensus at my university- vote in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnus Taylor)
    Think I will go with the consensus at my university- vote in
    Why not the consensus with the country? Brexit's leading the polls by a significant margin

ReputationRep:
    Voting to leave Eu is simply an angry protest vote imo, like voting bnp or green party

you never make smart decisions when angry or frustrated. the uk is still a top 10 world economy Because it is within the European Single Market vote out would drop uks prospects down to the level of a tiny isolated nation. this is not a problem for the retired or the middle aged, but its ppl our age who will suffer in the future for this massive decision , which cant be reversed.

(Original post by EuanF)
    Why not the consensus with the country? Brexit's leading the polls by a significant margin
    Potential economic ramifications do provoke caution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)

It's still a hell of a lot of money, even if it's not a massive proportion. Just because we also have a lot of other money doesn't mean that the 10bn cant be used for schools, hospitals etc.
    to me and you it's a huge sum of money but when running the country this amount can be just a rounding error. We saw last autumn that the Chancellor 'found' £27 billion pounds extra because there were higher tax returns than expected. To claim it will make all the difference to the country is absurd and a little naive to think that the government would spend this extra money on public services given that we currently have a budget deficit of around £53 billion.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by EuanF)

That's the point.

And, if they had it as a straight forward stash of cash, would the Tories put it into the NHS? Or schools? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    That's the point.

And, if they had it as a straight forward stash of cash, would the Tories put it into the NHS? Or schools? No.
    No, but they've got no other option than to do what was promised in this referendum if they ever want reelection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    No, but they've got no other option than to do what was promised in this referendum if they ever want reelection.
    The vote leave campaign is not the Government
    EDIT: yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)
    If we stay in for now, we can leave later. If we leave now, we probably won't be allowed to rejoin for decades, and we'll have a very hard time negotiating trade deals with European nations after basically flipping them off and ditching them. (and I don't get why we would want a trade deal with the US, who consistently try to screw us around, or China who ignore our laws o.O)

Plus the EU's been protecting us from the Tories' stupid mistakes for a long while now.
    We can not leave later, this is for keeps. tell yourself do you want to live in a democracy where our politicians are accountable or do you want an oligarchy where people who you don't know make decisions that'll change your life forever? Plus china won't ignore our laws, surprisingly enough you have to comply with the regulations of the country or they'll be persecuted (seriously were are you getting your information). And it's not as if were ditching Europe were still part of UN. Also you don't need trade deals to trade with another country(we buy a third of Germany's cars) . Get you facts straight first mate
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    i keep changing my mind :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)

Okay, you don't need to say this in every thread you go through; you're practically inviting people to ask you to support your claim.

And so this is your reason? There's politicians gaining on political grounds if we remain in the EU too; I don't see why you've made it exclusive to one of the arguments in the leave camp.
    No idea why you have made it your mission to reply to me on every thread, I do not need to explain myself to you. So reflex. I have decided to vote to stay, because I can and I think its the right thing to do based what I have read about the pros and cons.

I speak about the out/remain people in this manner because they are on the offensive. To be quite honest they are starting to sound quite bitter and very unobjective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fractite)
    I'm 16, so I can't vote. (why, though?)
    If I could, I'd vote in.
    Same & same!

ReputationRep:
    I am voting LEAVE

It is time for Britain to act like the superpower it really is rather than being controlled by the European Parliament. We should implement laws which we have tailored for ourselves rather than them being created by people who haven't stepped onto British soil in years.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.