Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Owen Jones embarrasses himself on Sky News debate about Orlando Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    You gottta love the other two presenters about how adamant they were that this wasn't an attack on LGBT people (rather, it was an attack against the "freedom to enjoy yourself?" Hmm. )

No, sweethearts, I think that the selection of the venue, and the attacker's previous comments to his father and his coworkers, make it clear that this was specifically an attack on a particular subset of society that disgusted him. It may also happen to be an attack on the freedom to enjoy yourself/humanity/the West, but, at its core, this was a homophobic attack.

I genuinely don't know why anyone would try to deny this any more. Accept it and move onto tackling the underlying problems.
    It is unfortunately the fashion of the day for media to describe such massacres as something other than what they are. Such is the paranoia over sensibilities, they place not offending Muslims on a higher pedestal than giving a true account of what happened. This is what society has become - more interested in making sure people are on board with politically correct inoffensive speech than exploring facts and truly understanding what happened. Governments love it as it keeps the masses distracted from the serious issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    I defend her right to yell at someone in a discussion, he didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What 'right to yell at someone'? Show me where you got this idea from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epage)
    I'm basing it on the assumption.
    Ah excellent, assumptions always work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    Ah excellent, assumptions always work.

Thats all you are taking out of my post when I gave you links to others who shared the same views and opinions as me and Owen Jones and many members of the LGBT community?? i meant to change that first line anyway but you deleted all of my post in your comment because you couldnt think of a better argument than "bleugh ugh this word is wrong u r wrong hahaah"

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think this is far from embarrassing. It was an emotional time and yes, his emotions probably did take over - but look at the bigger picture. This hate crime has sparked a discussion and may have made many realise that homophobia didn't die with gay marriage begin legalised. The other two presenters acted appallingly and the reason he walked off was because they failed to accept that this was a hate crime targeted at one community. Owen wasn't trying to suggest that this makes it worse than what happened in Paris, for instance. He was merely trying to get them to discuss the issues surrounding the atrocity i.e. homophobia. He didn't embarrass himself, the others did by failing to acknowledge fully what had happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    The shooter wasn't a practising muslim.
    Excuse me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epage)
    Thats all you are taking out of my post when I gave you links to others who shared the same views and opinions as me and Owen Jones and many members of the LGBT community?? i meant to change that first line anyway but you deleted all of my post in your comment because you couldnt think of a better argument than "bleugh ugh this word is wrong u r wrong hahaah"
    No I deleted the irrelevant nonsense from your post to highlight the key point: your initial pedantic argument was based on unsound assumptions. Don't cite internet forums to me as means of evidence - do they all use the internet? Do they all allow one organization to talk on their behalf? Did they all participate in any surveys? If not, then don't bore me with we half-hearted, misleading posts about 'facts' and majorities.

Let's stop talking now because I'm bored. Simply felt the need to correct you.. again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epage)
    He didn't 'embarrass himself' he stood up for what he believed in and said what every member of the LGBT community was thinking.
    He did not. He tried to made an apologia for Islam by blaming everything else except Islamic terrorism. Considering he is from Guardian and paid to do this.

ReputationRep:
    Despite rigorously disagreeing with Jones on a number of topics, I respect him for his well-articulated arguments. On this occasion, however, he should have stood his ground. Shame.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.