Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Q1 and 3 were trivial. Q6 was near impossible. I've heard of only 1 person managing the last part of Q6 out of 30 or so of the more able people. Any guesses for the mark distribution of Q6?

Edit to add: you've said it was on the easier side and then given lower boundaries for a 1 than 2010-2014?
    I must've meant 99 / 75 / 65 (I can't find the PM I sent to Insight on this, which had my best estimate at the time). I can only remember the 99 boundary as that was the one I spent the most time estimating.

Q6 I went "differential equations" and hence easy

Let me look at Q3 again, from memory I couldn't see how to do the second part immediately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tridianprime)
    I obtained (ycostheta + sintheta)^2 >= the expression on the RHS(?)
    (via the discriminant of the original equation in x)
    and then for the next part it said deduce the same for y^2 + 1 >=.

Do you mean rearrange from the original equation again?
    i did what riquix wrote

ReputationRep:
    q4 solution:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    I must've meant 99 / 75 / 65 (I can't find the PM I sent to Insight on this, which had my best estimate at the time). I can only remember the 99 boundary as that was the one I spent the most time estimating.

Let me look at Q6 and Q3 again...
    I think you said it was similar to 2009 and had 99 / 70 / 61 (which I'd be ecstatic with) since that might mean I could actually scrape a 1.

ReputationRep:
    I think you said it was similar to 2009 and had 99 / 70 / 65 (which I'd be ecstatic with) since that might mean I could actually scrape a 1.
    70 / 65 would be weird boundaries, with such a narrow range of marks for a 2.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

For the last integral on question 7, I simply divided top and bottom by cos^2(x) leaving (xsec^2(x))/(1+\tanx) using parts, as u = x, v ' as the the rest, it turns out as pi/4(ln2) - previous answer. Giving you the previous answer.

Sorry, LaTeX isn't working for me :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    70 / 65 would be weird boundaries, with such a narrow range of marks for a 2.
    Sorry, I meant 61 - not 65.

...although, STEP II 2015 had 68 for a 1 and 60 for a 2.

ReputationRep:
    Q1 and 3 were trivial. Q6 was near impossible. I've heard of only 1 person managing the last part of Q6 out of 30 or so of the more able people. Any guesses for the mark distribution of Q6?

Edit to add: you've said it was on the easier side and then given lower boundaries for a 1 than 2010-2014?

Hmm, i thought 1 and 3 were rather easy too. I feel very silly for not attemoting 3. Using induction twice works for the last part of 6, that's what I did. But i was running out of time and the working eas taking far too long so I wrote it in a very haphazard way and I'm probably getting no marks for it

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I meant 61 - not 65.

...although, STEP II 2015 had 68 for a 1 and 60 for a 2.
    Yeup, i saw that yesterday too. Its a bit odd isnt it?

ReputationRep:

Q6 I went "differential equations" and hence easy

Let me look at Q3 again, from memory I couldn't see how to do the second part immediately
    That is too high.
    Although they were nice topics. Questions like the DE were hard.
    96?,70 is my guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All I was doubting myself because Zacken said I didn't originall estimate 99 / 70 / 60 (I actually said 61 instead but whatever).

But I still think that is my best guess to date: 99 / 70 / 60. I'm also not sure comparing only to 2010 onwards is right either. Especially if Q1 and Q3 were easy then I think that is a reasonable guess.

ReputationRep:
    All I was doubting myself because Zacken said I didn't originall estimate 99 / 70 / 60 (I actually said 61 instead but whatever).

But I still think that is my best guess to date: 99 / 70 / 60. I'm also not sure comparing only to 2010 onwards is right either. Especially if Q1 and Q3 were easy then I think that is a reasonable guess.
    I didn't think Q 1 was super easy, and Q 3 required more creativity than typical easy questions. That said, I think your estimates might be slightly too low if anything, I'd say maybe 71-75 for a 1. I don't really know though.

ReputationRep:
    Could somebody predict my mark:
    I managed question three but my reason for the even case was wrong.
    I did the integral question but didn't manage the last integral.
    I managed questions 9 and 10.
    I did question 12 but got the final part incorrect.
    I did the question about approximating the sum of 1/x^2 and 1/x^4 which I think was right.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you're correct. Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewanclementson)
    I did the question about approximating the sum of 1/x^2 and 1/x^4 which I think was right.
    18, 15, 20, 20, 17, 20 by the sounds of it (if the last question was a full). Certainly an S.

ReputationRep:
    Q8 Solution
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... I think I made really strange things at Q6. Attached my solution for the (iv) part

Name:  TSR.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  499.5 KB

For overall I solved completely Q1, Q3, Q4, Q5. I did this at Q6 and started Q7 but only reached the (i) part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewanclementson)
    Q9: Could you go back to page 4 and check if the solution I posted is correct or not? Also, did the question ask for b and c in terms of a, m, M, and u, and NOT R, m, M, and u?

ReputationRep:
    What was Q11? I'm sure I did it, but I can't remember what it was.

Edit: Ooh, was it particles? Bullet fired from the top of a tower, target fired from the ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farryharnworth)
    What was Q11? I'm sure I did it, but I can't remember what it was.

Edit: Ooh, was it particles? Bullet fired from the top of a tower, target fired from the ground.
    Yep

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.