Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    IE 6 is horrible, I hates it, nasty tricksy browser.
    i dont understand how other browsers are safer though? when they never release any security updates :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone used MyIE2? I read about it in PC World so I'm just a little bit curious about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I've started using Avant, and its quite smart. Basically its the IE browser control embedded into another application (so its actually just a <1Mb download), which provides a tabbed/MDI interface, as well as a few nifty additions (it provides its own toolbars).
    I've used it before but it's a pain at times because of IE or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Been using it all night and yet to run into a problem so far. At least it hasn't got that annoying firefox bug where mouse gestures on one tab take effect in another. In fact its got more features than I first thought, the more I use it the more I like it.
    I've never had a problem with the tabs in Mozilla. Maybe your computer is too fast for it.

ReputationRep:
    No its always been like that ever since I've used it, on other computers. There are specific conditions where if you switch tabs at a certain time you can be (thinking you're) typing in one tab and its actually going to another, same with some mouse events. I don't think its a proper implentation of a MDI for some reason, that's why you can't minimise individual tabs you have to resize the entire browser.
    It's not a problem I've ever encountered. I also haven't had any desire to minimize a tab either. Maybe it is computer error

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? Its a bug in firefox. Firefox is full of bugs. Look at bugzilla.
    Sorry it was a pun. It should have been spelled computor.

I'm going to try out opera just for a change in pace.

ReputationRep:
    Been using it all night and yet to run into a problem so far. At least it hasn't got that annoying firefox bug where mouse gestures on one tab take effect in another. In fact its got more features than I first thought, the more I use it the more I like it.
    Which version are you using? Mine I used some time ago will probably be an ancient version by now

ReputationRep:
    Is that the newest version? I might try out Avant after I try out opera.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Opera is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Apparently Opera is pretty good.
    PC world says it's the best one out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moncal)
    PC world says it's the best one out.
    But do you believe them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    But do you believe them?
    I'll tell you after I put it through it's paces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moncal)
    I'll tell you after I put it through it's paces.
    I'll look forward to it :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swim By)
    i dont understand how other browsers are safer though? when they never release any security updates :confused:
    1. "Security update" is mainly a Microsoft phenomena. Mozilla and Co. have new releases a lot more often than IE anyway. Unlike the real world, to make software secure you do not "add security". It must contain features in the first place to make it exploitable. For example, a computer without TCP/IP software can never be "hacked" over the Internet, ever.

2. Internet Explorer is unsafe at a fundamental design level. Every heard of ActiveX? It allows any website in the world to execute programs on your computer by simply viewing a webpage. Complements of Microsoft. No other browser implements ActiveX. Java and Flash are different. They execute code within a limited Virtual Machine. ActiveX allows full access to your system, including any files that you can access.

3. Thier VBScript and thier extensions to JavaScript are almost as bad as ActiveX.

ReputationRep:
    although I might mention it warns you before showing activeX content if you're using SP2...

ReputationRep:
    I used Firefox, but didn't really see the huge diff, so I use IE. Stuff like this doesn't bother me at all.

ReputationRep:
    I've finally got Opera downloaded and installed. I am using it now and I will give a full report when I am more familiar with it.

ReputationRep:
    Avant is by far the best imo, i've been using it for about 5 months now

ReputationRep:
    though it needs a nice downloader thing like firefox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    though it needs a nice downloader thing like firefox
    I hate firefox's downloader thing. It doesn't allow you to resume downloads that easily.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.