Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why isn't the murder of Jo Cox being broadcasted as a TERRORIST ATTACK? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    If you killed someone because you didn't like their politics, it would be murder, not terrorism.

If you killed them because as a means of furthering your own political agenda, it would be terrorism.

It does not have to be "spectacular" - although I wouldn't call repeatedly shooting and stabbing a member of parliament in public, while shouting political slogans, "subtle".
    And I'm sure that other MPs who spend much of their time in highly public and open environments, are now feeling more than a little intimidated.
    So, by your own definition, it was terrorism.
    You are drawing a distinction that doesn't exist in English law

This is the definition of terrorism.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/11/section/1

I should mention that there are no proscribed organisations connected with non-NI UK politics but not all the ones concerned with foreign politics are Muslim. There are Catholic, Sikh and Hindu proscribed organisations. At one time there was a suggestion that the Animal Liberation Front be proscribed but nothing came of it.

There is no such crime as terrorism in English law. There are various terrorist offences some of which are not crimes unless done in furtherance of terrorism. others are just more serious when done in furtherest of terrorism. If done in furtherance of terrorism, the police have additional powers and sentencing guidelines dictate harsher sentences.

However where serious offences are committed the substantive offences e.g murder, conspiracy to cause explosions, kidnapping etc are charged

ReputationRep:
    Because Britain is racist, and they like to marginalise groups such as Muslims. Being White British myself, I never really thought Muslims were treated unfairly by the media, but following coverage on Cox's murder I am now SO sympathetic to Muslims, because I realised the media is a complete lie and they are choosing how something is being presented. They brainwashed so many people that Muslims are a threat, but people dont see their being brainwashed. I WILL NOT BE BRAINWASHED!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilycunningham)
    Because Britain is racist, and they like to marginalise groups such as Muslims. Being White British myself, I never really thought Muslims were treated unfairly by the media, but following coverage on Cox's murder I am now SO sympathetic to Muslims, because I realised the media is a complete lie and they are choosing how something is being presented. They brainwashed so many people that Muslims are a threat, but people dont see their being brainwashed. I WILL NOT BE BRAINWASHED!
    What exactly was unfair or marginalising towards Muslims in the media coverage of Jo Cox's murder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenice)
    What exactly was unfair or marginalising towards Muslims in the media coverage of Jo Cox's murder?
    The fact that this was no doubt a terrorist attack, with links to Britain First. When their is a terrorist attack the media are quick to make links to Islam, that is the first thing on the headlines. But with this murder it is not represented as an extremist attack, instead he was represented as a crazed sociopath. Look you might be all nationalist and 'oh Britain racist?! No!' Well they are! Im ashamed to say im British because of the media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    And far right extremists aren't following a particular political Ideology?
    Are you able to name what that ideology is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    You are drawing a distinction that doesn't exist in English law

This is the definition of terrorism.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/11/section/1
    That defines "terrorism" in almost exactly the same way that I did.

ReputationRep:
    You sound confused.
    Take a deep breath, and try again.

ReputationRep:
    But with this murder it is not represented as an extremist attack, instead he was represented as a crazed sociopath. Look you might be all nationalist and 'oh Britain racist?! No!' Well they are! Im ashamed to say im British because of the media.
    Still sound confused.
    The only people denying a link to far right extremism are the far-right.
    Much the same as Muslims deny a link between Islamist extremism and Islam.
    Only to be expected really.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...an-act-of-far/
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ine-of-inquiry
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/bab3e52e-3...#axzz4C1e9Wk5k
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...brexit-8229659
    http://www.itv.com/news/story/2016-0...rgeted-attack/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    But it is. Radical and extreme. What else would you call an ideology that permits or advocates slavery, sex slaves, wife-beating, gender discrimination, torture, punishing sexual and religious preference with death, and religious expansionism.

If a political party started tomorrow with that manifesto, it would be banned as an extremist group.
    I think you're being as bad as the media here! Many modern Muslims, the majority in the UK I'd say, take ideologies from their religions which they have altered to fit with modern societal norms. Important philosophies that help them from day to day and make them feel closer as a community and spiritually, but make sure these beliefs don't infringe on the journey to equality. Many personal friends are Muslim, and would never permit the above behaviours, modernisation has occurred rapidly and I suggest you fine-tune yourself to that too!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal-lum)
    I think you're being as bad as the media here! Many modern Muslims, the majority in the UK I'd say, take ideologies from their religions which they have altered to fit with modern societal norms. Important philosophies that help them from day to day and make them feel closer as a community and spiritually, but make sure these beliefs don't infringe on the journey to equality. Many personal friends are Muslim, and would never permit the above behaviours, modernisation has occurred rapidly and I suggest you fine-tune yourself to that too!!
    I wasn't referring to the behaviour of individual Muslims, but to the nature and content of the ideology. Ask them if any part of the Quran can be dismissed because of the nature of the society that they live in.

If you go down the road of using the behaviour of Muslims as the definition of Islam, then you will have to account for theocracies like Iran and Saudi Arabia, and groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda. Which I'm sure you say we cannot do - and rightly so.

ReputationRep:
    Brendan Cox himself referred to what happened as an 'act of terror'. What more evidence do we need that the media is totally biased and corrupt?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.