Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    We're not as culturally rich as Switzerland. We'd have nothing without our empire and the immigrants that make this country.
    Precisely

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    There you go again. I say we could be worse off out of the EU... and you use Switzerland as an example to the contrary.

1) Switzerland isn't doing so great compared to so EU member countries.
    2) The UK would not want the Swiss model. The Swiss model doesn't allow for the access to the single market we'd want. It means we'd have to accept free movement of people. It means we have to accept EU rules.
    3) The EU wouldn't allow a Swiss model.

What you need to do, to make your point, is show me a country which is not in the EU. Isn't subject to any EU rules, but is trading with the EU on equal or better terms as the UK currently is. Oh, and this country also needs to be performing on a par with, or better, than the UK is.

I don't think it is beyond a country to source goods from elsewhere. Somewhere where getting them is cheaper.

We might also have companies seek to leave the UK. One that springs to my mind is Ford. They make a huge number of engines and parts in the UK... but one can't help to wonder whether this would change should the UK exit the EU. I'd have thought it would make more sense for Ford to move operations to one of their many factories in the EU. Same goes for other companies - and financial institutions.

Also - every single country left in the EU has to agree to any rule changes to trade with the UK, should we leave. It isn't the case that one country could just decide to trade with us on favourable terms. It would have to get agreement from all the other EU states.

I think it is more likely than not that we'd lose trade.
    Hear, hear!

I think we can cope, but we would be worse off.. Anyone who says we'd be better off is simply delusional!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    Hear, hear!

I think we can cope, but we would be worse off.. Anyone who says we'd be better off is simply delusional!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This right here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axion)
    Go compare EU national non-activity rates with that of British Nationals, respect that British Nationals are far less likely to be working that EU nationals in the UK, admit that your statement is therefore not particularly relevant, and come back.
    There's nothing wrong with competition, maybe those unemployed should've put more effort in in school instead of pissing about with a finger up their nose. These EU workers work their arses off doing **** jobs that no "English" person would dream of because they think they deserve better. You don't deserve jack **** unless you work for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Kitchener)
    There's nothing wrong with competition, maybe those unemployed should've put more effort in in school instead of pissing about with a finger up their nose. These EU workers work their arses off doing **** jobs that no "English" person would dream of because they think they deserve better. You don't deserve jack **** unless you work for it.
    These EU workers in the UK are working hard, but British people aswell. But we dont really need ALOT more of them. We need to have control of our borders at least. British people should have a chance to get a job, no matter if they made mistakes in school. They have been living here since they were born. Show some respect. We're losing our law control, border control and money here in the EU aswell. We're losing our democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    These EU workers in the UK are working hard, but British people aswell. But we dont really need ALOT more of them. We need to have control of our borders at least. British people should have a chance to get a job, no matter if they made mistakes in school. They have been living here since they were born. Show some respect. We're losing our law control, border control and money in the EU aswell. We're losing our democracy.
    I disagree, mainly because no one deserves anything, I don't see why birth in one country gives you more rights over someone, everyone should have equal oppurtunity to create a livelyhood. And yes I think if you made mistakes in school you shouldn't be punished but why should you be allowed a chance to get a job over someone with credentials? They haven't shown any worthy qualities that mean that they deserve employment - you earn respect.

I think the problem is the world is just becoming increasingly globalized and the idea of nations is just so outdated in my opinion, sure we have certain traits or traditions that we identify as british but the whole idea of nationalism and patriotism is so tribalistic and a hindrance to society, leads to divisions and xenophobia which isn't aided with radical islam and people's fears of terrorism. The influence from the EU itself is actually really small, I don't have the numbers but it's like theres only one body in the EU that isn't democratically elected and it has like no influence over UK policy.

ReputationRep:
    These EU workers in the UK are working hard, but British people aswell. But we dont really need ALOT more of them. We need to have control of our borders at least. British people should have a chance to get a job, no matter if they made mistakes in school. They have been living here since they were born. Show some respect. We're losing our law control, border control and money here in the EU aswell. We're losing our democracy.

This is true. Even though my dads Danish and i'm British he agrees with leaving the EU.

ReputationRep:
    We're not as culturally rich as Switzerland. We'd have nothing without our empire and the immigrants that make this country.
    This is truly bizarre.

If we Leave the EU, history doesn't rewrite itself you know. If on Friday morning it turns out we vote Leave, Clive will still have won India, Wolfe will still have scaled the Heights of Abraham, James Cook will have still surveyed Australia and Thomas Cook will still have organised holidays on the Nile. The Huguenots will still have come here as will the Jamaicans and the Irish and the Pakistanis.

We are talking Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage here, not Gandalf and Dr Who.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you should have more respect for your country, especially being called 'Lord Kitchener'. Insulting patriotism is disrespectful to millions who died for theirs.

Secondly, describing the unelected bodies of the EU as having 'like no impact on the U.K.' is just not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Kitchener)
    it's like theres only one body in the EU that isn't democratically elected and it has like no influence over UK policy.
    Jesus wept.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, see for yourself:

Dont let the biased, EU funded politicians, 'experts' and media fool you.
    Switzerland is surviving much better without the EU.
    We can do this British people, the proof is here.
    I thought some of your main problems with the EU are freedom of movement and paying into the EU budget?

Both of which will still be the case if we follow Switzerland's example, as they do both of the above to have access to the single market.

ReputationRep:
    Define cope?

Our Grandparents generation coped when they were getting bombed by the Luftwaffe for example, it doesn't mean it's a favourable way to live.

Personally I think we'll be fine either way, but there's nothing of any substance indicating that we'd be better off if we left. Farage and co are just whipping up nationalist sentiments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMB:))
    Firstly, you should have more respect for your country, especially being called 'Lord Kitchener'. Insulting patriotism is disrespectful to millions who died for theirs.

Secondly, describing the unelected bodies of the EU as having 'like no impact on the U.K.' is just not true.
    I respect those that fought for our freedoms, not through patriotism. It's just a means to find people to fight in wars that serve other interests, if patriotism is your reason for fighting you haven't given it enough thought.

That wasn't even my point though, my point is that preserving national identity is a stupid reason to want to leave the EU when nationality wont even matter in 100 years, free movement and trade is great.

I don't see why an interest in WW1 would even correlate to being a patriot haha...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)
    Jesus wept.
    Lol I am ignorant on it, but i've been set on "stay" since the referendum was first conceived.

ReputationRep:
    Please, if you admit you are ignorant then do some more research rather than reverting to remain.
    Free movement is not great if you can no longer afford to buy or rent a house because of the sheer volume of immigrants. At current rates we need to build a house every 8 seconds, according to the bbc.
    Leaveing isn't against globalisation, it's for it. Leave and we can trade with the rising powers outside of Europe like China rather than bailing out failed European states

ReputationRep:
    Well, you've seen what British nationalists are like. Entitled, insecure, bad for our economy. Without cultural enrichment, we're just a white supremacy with little going for us apart from the Big Ben and Oxbridge.
    quite a sweeping generalissimo there abit like someone blaming all immigrants being terrorists no doubt . seriously you need to think what you type properly .

ReputationRep:
    After the EU referendum there will be a debate about Trident, and when Corbyn and his mates start saying we should scrap Trident and pull out of NATO watch all the right wingers get triggered, ranting about how Britain would be at the mercy of the jihadis, China, North Korea, Iran, Russia and wouldn't possibly be able to survive.

Then people will calm down and realise the Swiss have already shown us its perfectly possible to have a Swiss model once you look past what the "Westminster elites" tell us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)

Then people will calm down and realise the Swiss have already shown us its perfectly possible to have a Swiss model once you look past what the "Westminster elites" tell us.
    That's the strategy for combating the reduction in GDP due to Brexit. Invest in a massive public works programme building alps in Norfolk.

ReputationRep:
    we should have considered all of this before we colonised other countries, don't you think?
    what has that got to do with people today we should not be punished for things that happened decades ago i mean how long should it last etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    That's the strategy for combating the reduction in GDP due to Brexit. Invest in a massive public works programme building alps in Norfolk.
    It sounds like a noble idea however have you ever tried to get planning permission to build anything within 15 miles of someone's house in Norfolk?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.