Why do Leave voters think they know better than experts?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioStudentx)
    Noted. And as above someone listed people who support "brexit". This is the problem, it's impossible to predict the future and there's constant contrasting opinions - all these "experts" have personal agendas. This is the reason why some people won't be voting. It's interesting how some people on this thread are arrogant enough to be certain of the future.
    Yes I hear you. No-one is certain. But the path of least risk is Remain.

And that's also the view of one "expert" who many believe is independent and reasonably trust worthy.

Martin Lewis of moneysavingexpert fame.

Unlike much of the linkage in TSR this is actually quite a fair assessment of the situation. Maybe have a read:

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/20...eu-referendum/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Yes I hear you. No-one is certain. But the path of least risk is Remain.

And that's also the view of one "expert" who many believe is independent and reasonably trust worthy.

Martin Lewis of moneysavingexpert fame.

Unlike much of the linkage in TSR this is actually quite a fair assessment of the situation. Maybe have a read:

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/20...eu-referendum/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    After reading that it didn't sway me either way. It just made me even more unsure. If anything happens I can't take responsibility as I didn't vote

Although economics aside, as a first generation from an immigrant from a middle-eastern country (had to point this out before people call me racist) when Turkey manage to join the eu there will be big big trouble. And Turkey will join the eu eventually.

ReputationRep:
    After reading that it didn't sway me either way. It just made me even more unsure. If anything happens I can't take responsibility as I didn't vote

Although economics aside, as a first generation from an immigrant from a middle-eastern country (had to point this out before people call me racist) when Turkey manage to join the eu there will be big big trouble. And Turkey will join the eu eventually.
    When will Turkey join? If it does, at some point in the far future, why will there be big big trouble? As a first generation ex-immigrant dd your parents or you cause big big trouble?

Boris Kemal-Johnson's great grandpa was an influential Turk. He seems to be a nice chap... oh...

ReputationRep:
    When will Turkey join? If it does, at some point in the far future, why will there be big big trouble? As a first generation ex-immigrant dd your parents or you cause big big trouble?

Boris Kemal-Johnson's great grandpa was an influential Turk. He seems to be a nice chap... oh...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-35832035
    The bbc article does state it's many years down the line but most likely inevitable.

Turkey is the gateway to hell atm. The country is not very stable and the last thing the eu needs is another unstable country. That's not even taking into account the culture conflict that'll occur between western countries and Turkey...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-35832035
    The bbc article does state it's many years down the line but most likely inevitable.

Turkey is the gateway to hell atm. The country is not very stable and the last thing the eu needs is another unstable country. That's not even taking into account the culture conflict that'll occur between western countries and Turkey...
    That's the point. They won't be accepted until they become socio-politically and economically stable.

ReputationRep:
    That's the point. They won't be accepted until they become socio-politically and economically stable.
    Yes but things can turn very sour, very quickly (especially when a proportion of your country is filled with Muslim radicals). What may seem stable at the time, can change very quickly. Once they been accepted there's no going back really.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but things can turn very sour, very quickly (especially when a proportion of your country is filled with Muslim radicals). What may seem stable at the time, can change very quickly. Once they been accepted there's no going back really.
    As I say, it's a long way off. And the UK has a veto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    Michael Gove didn't managed to achieve even the most basic milestone by which to measure the success of a Minister for Education ("Just don't f*** it up!") yet we are to believe he is trustworthy and intelligent enough to guide anyone in the EU Referendum?

Pretty much his sole contribution to the debate on Scottish Independence was to suggest that Scotland should remain because Scotland leaving the UK would please Putin by weakening the major counterbalance to Russia.

No-one knows what goes on inside his brain, not even Gove himself.

ReputationRep:

Eventually you get beyond the horizon where anything is predictable.

Turkey today is further from joining the EU than it was 30 years ago when it was a militantly secular country, where you could be thrown in gaol for wearing a headscarf and where the main concern was the interference of the military in politics.

When you say another unstable country; name me any EU country that is politically unstable?

ReputationRep:
    Funny how the leave campaign dismiss the work of experts, apart from the relatively few experts who agree with them of course...

Perhaps we should stop listening to doctors too and instead listen to a man down the pub. After all screw experts!

ReputationRep:
    This is what David Cameron said about leaving the EU in November 2015

.https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kUq5m2NLi...ronbrexit.jpeg

I think thats all you need to know. Just last november, he actually said:

The argument isnt whether britain could survive outside the EU. Of course it could. David Cameron.

Mr Corbyn said, " The EU takes away from national parliaments the power to set economic policy and hands it over to an unelected set of bankers who will impose the economic policies of price stability, deflation and high unemployment throughout the European Community".

He voted against the Lisbon Treaty in 2008, and in one article on his website, said the EU had "always suffered a serious democratic deficit".

These are your experts, telling the truth. Before they were nobbled by their banking masters.

A vote for Remain is a vote for central banks.

ReputationRep:
    Have you no idea that the "experts" manipulate data for their own personal gain, and most of it is how you present the data. A lot of the arguments, on both sides, are petty. The UK thrived for a long time before all this EU nonsense, and the "experts" seem to forget that it would be cheaper for our country to trade with countries in Asia than Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omfgalib)
    Have you no idea that the "experts" manipulate data for their own personal gain, and most of it is how you present the data. A lot of the arguments, on both sides, are petty. The UK thrived for a long time before all this EU nonsense, and the "experts" seem to forget that it would be cheaper for our country to trade with countries in Asia than Europe.
    Funny because thats exactly that Gove/Boris/Farage are also doing.

Saying they're up to 'their own agenda' can be thrown right back at you.

ReputationRep:
    Meanwhile, Michael Gove has compared experts to Nazis.

"Michael Gove has compared economic experts warning about Brexit to Nazis who smeared Albert Einstein’s scientific findings during the 1930s."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...t-to-nazis-wh/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omfgalib)
    Yep. The Earth is flat too, the experts have just been manipulating the data. Global warming isn't real. Vaccines cause autism. ****ing sick of these experts.
    and the "experts" seem to forget that it would be cheaper for our country to trade with countries in Asia than Europe
    Hmmm no, they don't. They know that, and that's what makes the EU so good for our economy. You think you know what you're talking about, but you have absolutely no idea, and that's why you should be listening to economists and not making stuff up.

Meanwhile, Michael Gove has compared experts to Nazis.

"Michael Gove has compared economic experts warning about Brexit to Nazis who smeared Albert Einstein’s scientific findings during the 1930s."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...t-to-nazis-wh/
    But... isn't Michael Gove more like the Nazis who smeared Einstein's work? This is diabolical. I don't know how anyone can be stupid enough to believe lists of lies and then go on to tell everyone who knows what they're talking about that they're wrong, but this is why we shouldn't be having a referendum.

ReputationRep:
    It might not be that all the leave voters think they know better than experts, from what I've heard it's also that they just don't care about the experts haha.
    They're seeing it as a risky opportunity yes, but a necessary opportunity that the UK should take to take back control of our country etc etc. Seeing what COULD be rather than what most likely WILL be.
    I personally hope that the majority of the millions of voters are more educated than this and realise leaving the EU won't be all these roses that the leave party are painting it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care how people vote but maybe we could think for ourselves and not just quote an 'expert' and go no further. We all have brains, engage them and look up the facts for yourself so you can make an informed decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namelesshipster)
    It might not be that all the leave voters think they know better than experts, from what I've heard it's also that they just don't care about the experts haha.
    They're seeing it as a risky opportunity yes, but a necessary opportunity that the UK should take to take back control of our country etc etc. Seeing what COULD be rather than what most likely WILL be.
    I personally hope that the majority of the millions of voters are more educated than this and realise leaving the EU won't be all these roses that the leave party are painting it out to be.
    (Original post by Midlander)
    I don't care how people vote but maybe we could think for ourselves and not just quote an 'expert' and go no further. We all have brains, engage them and look up the facts for yourself so you can make an informed decision.
    Yup, I don't disagree with this.

Hence, vote with your head, not your (or Farage's) heart.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.