Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stop telling people to "shut up and accept it" watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    Then you dont see why so many voted leave.

Sovereignty, democracy and immigration. Usually in that order.

Mass immigration has failed, and 400,000 a year is unprecedented in our history.
    Agreed.. as an Indian girl I'm tired of seeing people assume that "controlling EU immigration" = "racist"
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter"- Winston Churchill.

You guys have provided the best argument against democracy I've encountered yet.
    Want to throw about quotes attributed to Churchill, how about this one:

"democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james813)
    If you believe in democracy you don't have the right to call for a rerun. 17 million people backed brexit
    Yes but over 16 million opposed Brexit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    In my experience, when you right-wingers are found to have some unpopular opinion or another, you love to stand on your free speech and declare that any criticism of your opinion is an infringement on your rights. But now, when you've discovered that your political adversaries may have unpopular opinions, you seem to have no qualms about telling us to

So which is it? Do we have the right to express ourselves, or don't we?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm not even right wing or an exiter, I just wanted the reps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm not even right wing, I just wanted the reps
    You're just perpetuating the existing idea that the Brexit is no more than a giant joke lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    I'm definitely not a conspiracy theorist nor am I suggesting the vote should be taken away from certain communities, and neither did I suggest the vote should be changed. I'm just upset the older voters decided to leave when the majority of the younger population wanted to stay, and I'm also angry that many people didn't have a valid reason the leave other than immigration.

There are many people that had legitimate reasons to leave, but I also know many people were not informed and blame immigration for everything, when (imo) there are so many benefits to staying in the EU which outweigh the immigration argument.

The political climate across the west is horrific with this racist, anti-immigrant rhetoric. Many (but not all) people are becoming more racist and frustrated with immigrants, and I've witnessed this horrible racism. To say a large portion of society have not become disenfranchised with mainstream politic and blame their frustrations on immigrants (usually in working class areas), is naive. That portion of the electorate voted leave, and that is what I'm most angry about.
    For many sovereignty was the most important issue, but for others it was immigration. Mass immigration really isn't that much of a problem; they're not the reason the public services are in a dire state, and we need them to make up for the aging population.
    Your generation had a chance to make their voices heard but they where too lazy to register to vote and also to lazy to get out of bed and vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    You're just perpetuating the existing idea that the Brexit is no more than a giant joke lmao
    It is, Boris is just avin a giggle
    Once Dodgy Dave steps down, Boris will make an announcement like "It's just a prank bro"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    I'm definitely not a conspiracy theorist nor am I suggesting the vote should be taken away from certain communities, and neither did I suggest the vote should be changed. I'm just upset the older voters decided to leave when the majority of the younger population wanted to stay, and I'm also angry that many people didn't have a valid reason the leave other than immigration.

There are many people that had legitimate reasons to leave, but I also know many people were not informed and blame immigration for everything, when (imo) there are so many benefits to staying in the EU which outweigh the immigration argument.

The political climate across the west is horrific with this racist, anti-immigrant rhetoric. Many (but not all) people are becoming more racist and frustrated with immigrants, and I've witnessed this horrible racism. To say a large portion of society have not become disenfranchised with mainstream politic and blame their frustrations on immigrants (usually in working class areas), is naive. That portion of the electorate voted leave, and that is what I'm most angry about.
    For many sovereignty was the most important issue, but for others it was immigration. Mass immigration really isn't that much of a problem; they're not the reason the public services are in a dire state, and we need them to make up for the aging population.
    You don't seem to realise that mass immigration in these numbers has only started recently. It is a policy that no one voted for and we have to change our way of life and speech to suit immigrants, not the other way around.

I (and many like me) have no issue with controlled immigration in sensible numbers. When it reaches the point that segregation rises and the native population feels disgruntled and replaced is when problems begin to arise.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes but over 16 million opposed Brexit?
    And more than 17 is a bigger number than just over 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And more than 17 is a bigger number than just over 16

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well done?
    And so the Democratic mandate is to leave, even if the majority were only 1 vote the Democratic mandate would be to leave, and people need to simply accept that. Anyway, wasn't it remain who kept shouting about how part of democracy is not always getting your own way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is, Boris is just avin a giggle
    Once Dodgy Dave steps down, Boris will make an announcement like "It's just a prank bro"
    his face when he found out brexit won was just like "i ****ed the **** up oh ****"
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Tool Box)
    Mate just **** off, yeah

Ordinary working class people like myself won the vote, people who are at the brunt end of immigration and how it's ruining the country

Students should not be entitled to vote as they do not understand how the real world works

So just be happy that ordinary people finally got the say after so long
    :ditto: for those who:

1) Didn't even bother to vote on the day, well you did a lot of warnings right up until the day.

2) Think the older generation should't even have the right to vote when they're the ones who witnessed the shaping of the country and HAVE paid taxes for almost 40 years in their lives.

3) Thinks that they can get what they want by throwing a childish tantrum and have only realised how the real world actually works.

Rant Over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tool Box)
    Mate just **** off, yeah

Ordinary working class people like myself won the vote, people who are at the brunt end of immigration and how it's ruining the country

Students should not be entitled to vote as they do not understand how the real world works

So just be happy that ordinary people finally got the say after so long

Wait students shouldn't be allowed to vote because they don't understand how the real world works.

When I was young I was thrown out of my home by my parents for being gay had to change schools got a small (and ultimately expanding job) to get money before sacrificing free time to achieve the grades at a level in order to be accepted into the university and course I want where ultimately got a job (again for money, students aren't exactly rich) and continued studying whilst applying for internships and getting interviews for said internships and ultimately getting internships.

How do I not know the real world compared to say a non student my age. Because it comes across as more a youth don't know what they are talking about than a genuine thought through decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    his face when he found out brexit won was just like "i ****ed the **** up oh ****"
    He's gonna upload it on youtube witha name like:

EU Brexit Prank [GONE WRONG]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And so the Democratic mandate is to leave, even if the majority were only 1 vote the Democratic mandate would be to leave, and people need to simply accept that. Anyway, wasn't it remain who kept shouting about how part of democracy is not always getting your own way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it was 60:40 there would be less resentment, and people would be more likely to accept the outcome.
    Such a tight difference leaving just under half of the population dissastisifed doesn't feel right. But even so, I don't think we should get a second referendum. I think we'd lose even more face to the rest of the world if we have a second referendum.

Unless the country was in complete uproar, with severe protests and striking across the country. Then I'd feel that a second referendum would be justified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Indeed

ReputationRep:
    He's gonna upload it on youtube witha name like:

EU Brexit Prank [GONE WRONG]
    *when u do it for the bantz but then **** gets real*

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  7.8 KB
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by elen90)
    If this had been the other way around and there was a Brexiter outcry, I would not be telling you to shut up. I would certainly debate against you however. Your argument is entirely based on conjecture.
    In that post I was talking more directly to Jordan rather than Remainers in general, this person is known to be irritating so it would not be surprising if it was the other way round he would be telling us to shut up.

So my argument isn't based on conjecture.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If it was 60:40 there would be less resentment, and people would be more likely to accept the outcome.
    Such a tight difference leaving just under half of the population dissastisifed doesn't feel right. But even so, I don't think we should get a second referendum. I think we'd lose even more face to the rest of the world if we have a second referendum.

Unless the country was in complete uproar, with severe protests and striking across the country. Then I'd feel that a second referendum would be justified.
    If it were 60-40 then you would still have people whining because some people are just incapable of shutting up and accepting it, even years later {see the SNP}

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.