Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who voted remain who aren't being dramatic and ridiculous post Brexit decision watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cecily Neville)
    Admitting it at last at least.
    Oh good, so you agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    This is pretty much where I am.

I'm in favour of ever closer union but as a whole the UK is committed to obstructing it so they're probably better of without us.
    lmao you both lack brain cells if you think they are better off without us

ReputationRep:
    This is the whole problem with the intellectual arrogance. You think because someone has a degree their opinion on Brexit is more valid?

This is what I'm pissed about with the remainers, this superiority that their vote is somehow more valid because they have a piece of paper.
    Nope. I just said they were likely to be more intelligent.

Well, I am not saying that their vote was invalid. I am simply stating a fact about educational attainment and whatever you can derive from that.

Let's be serious. They are not going to benefit from Brexit. The North had the most EU money in the country. Are they going to get it back from a Government that spend 24 times on infrastructure in London than elsewhere? Don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I actually think it's a good thing too, albeit for different reasons. Mainly:

First: the brexiters will be held to account. David Cameron in resigning has left a poisoned chalice in terms of declaring article 50 for Boris. Look at Boris, he knows he ****ed up.

Secondly: when we rejoin the EU, it will be as a fully integrated member, euro and all, and thus in the long term be better for Britain, Europe and the world.
    You think joining the Euro will be better in the long term for Britain????

ReputationRep:
    someone please explain this brexit thing...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by welshiee)
    It will eventually.
    True, however, 'as a result of this' was the part you were meant to read between the lines

ReputationRep:
    I suppose my thoughts would be, based on my limited knowledge:

Limitations
    Considerable diminishment of the UK Economy with London's ability as a centre for trade suppressed - but still maintaining its status.
    Instability and market limitations put off investment.
    Problems with reforming laws - so many to go over, and large potential for manipulation thus reducing rights.
    Break up of UK seems likely (Scotland, NI)
    Considerable loss of power for the UK - ranked #1 for 'soft power', but also loss of power for EU

Possible benefits
    Escape from TTIP (trade deal that may reduce rights)?
    Make countries of the EU question legitimacy and push for positive reform
    Loss of America's hand in EU making aggressive foreign policy less likely
    May be that we step up the game in bringing about positive change

NB. The referendum was an incredible joke - not a 'democracy' at all (or at least one worth having). So much dishonesty and manipulation, and a lack of insight generally (primary rationale based on xenophobia and nationalism, and ignoring all else) by a majority those voting out (but of course not all).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Nope. I just said they were likely to be more intelligent.

Well, I am not saying that their vote was invalid. I am simply stating a fact about educational attainment and whatever you can derive from that.

Let's be serious. They are not going to benefit from Brexit. The North had the most EU money in the country. Are they going to get it back from a Government that spend 24 times on infrastructure in London than elsewhere? Don't think so.
    But what does intelligence have to do with this vote I don't get it? It's an assumption based on what you are surrounded by. As far as I know the vote hasn't been correlated with IQ.

Your knowledge gap comes from the fact that maybe the EU benefits educated professionals and that's why they vote to remain. Voting for what benefits you is nothing to do with intelligence. It's just a confound.

ReputationRep:
    Well this thread was going well for a small amount of time at least lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    True, however, 'as a result of this' was the part you were meant to read between the lines
    I did read between the lines but thought I'd say it anyway

ReputationRep:
    I do care about this country and its future. Just because I didn't have a strong opinion either way doesn't mean I care less? Polarisation of opinion doesn't always equate to how much one cares.

?? I didn't mean that. The fact that you were torn about whether to remain or leave suggests you would be less dissatisfied with the outcome than an indivdual who strongly knew they'd like to remain from the offset?

What has that to do with caring about our country? One thing this whole thing has shown is precisely how much both sides care about our country. Even if we do have different ideals.

ReputationRep:
    But what does intelligence have to do with this vote I don't get it? It's an assumption based on what you are surrounded by. As far as I know the vote hasn't been correlated with IQ.

Your knowledge gap comes from the fact that maybe the EU benefits educated professionals and that's why they vote to remain. Voting for what benefits you is nothing to do with intelligence. It's just a confound.
    I don't really see how the EU benefits professionals in particular, unless it has to do with Job security. Most professionals do not use Freedom of Movement.

The reality is that poor areas benefit directly from EU funding.

Anyway, I never said that they voted Remain because they were more intelligent. That is just your assumption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextaylor6)
    lmao you both lack brain cells if you think they are better off without us
    You lack brain cells if you think this is from a financial perspective.

If you read my post again you'll see I referred to the fact that there's no more UK to stifle ever closer union so they can just get on with it.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Kircheis)
    Well this thread was going well for a small amount of time at least lmao
    Quite. I noticed it had gone down hill rather when the usuals showed up.

ReputationRep:
    You lack brain cells if you think this is from a financial perspective.

If you read my post again you'll see I referred to the fact that there's no more UK to stifle ever closer union so they can just get on with it.
    yes that might give them some relief, but they would not be better off without us thats just a fact mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Secondly: when we rejoin the EU, it will be as a fully integrated member, euro and all, and thus in the long term be better for Britain, Europe and the world.
    Scotland will not rejoin the EU, simply because Spain will veto it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Scotland will not rejoin the EU, simply because Spain will veto it.
    I think that would have been the case two years ago, now I'm not sure as I imagine there's a lot of antagonism towards the UK being felt.

ReputationRep:
    I think that would have been the case two years ago, now I'm not sure as I imagine there's a lot of antagonism towards the UK being felt.
    Spain still doesn't want the independence of Catalonia. Nothing has changed since 2014.

ReputationRep:
    The idea that many remainers are following is that it is only democracy if I get what I want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    we're allowed to be frustrated by your stupidity lmao
    It's not my fault I voted the underdog that won.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.