Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasnia'x)
    Hey so sorry for the Super, late reply.
    Well tbh it's all up to you. But I have no experience/ know how Grammer Schools are like,
    since I'm going to a Sixth Form.

But I've heard good impacts in the way Grammer Schools have transformed students towards their education.
    For example:

(1) Strong exam results

It is argued that grammar schools can deliver good results because teachers can push pupils harder, knowing that only the most able students are in the classroom. Selective state schools have produced some of the best performances in exam league tables.

But as I mention before, It's all your choice.
    Have you been to any Induction Days or Open Evening?
    Maybe you could experience how it's like to be a Student in the Grammer School/Sixth Form.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, yep i've been to 3 induction day where i did 1 subject a day (3 hours) but...... I dont know.... It just seemed weird so i chose to go to the sixth form college

Btw, what is the difference between sixth form and sixth form college ad college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza772000)
    Yeah, they had interviews before but they stopped having 'em from this year I believe. They just looked at my personal statement, which they seemed to LIKE coz they told my dad that on the phone, and my predicted grades.

I had one interview for the college and got a place, in fact I applied for like 5 other crappy sixth forms and got a place straight after the interview.

I know this is really strange but yeah, I haven't seen the school
    Its known to be like the 'BEST' school in the area, and other areas too for that matter.
    Oh okay, i never had to make a personal statement....... Dont even know how u make it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mediaya)
    Thanks, yep i've been to 3 induction day where i did 1 subject a day (3 hours) but...... I dont know.... It just seemed weird so i chose to go to the sixth form college

Btw, what is the difference between sixth form and sixth form college ad college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's cool, I'm going to a Sixth form.

Sixth forms
    You may be able to study at your own school’s sixth form, the sixth form of another school, or at a sixth form college. They offer a wider range of options, and the environment is likely to be a bit more relaxed than in Year 11.Sixth forms vary a lot in size, and in the courses and facilities they offer. Sixth form colleges tend to be larger and more informal than school sixth forms

Further education college
    Further education colleges can offer similar courses to sixth form colleges. They also vary a lot in size, and in the subjects and facilities they offer.You might be surprised to find that some of the students are adults of all ages as well as young people. There will be both full and part-time learners studying vocational subjects as well as those studying academic courses.

Sixth form college

Sixth Form Colleges tend to be more informal and comfortable environments in comparison to School Sixth Form centres. The independence you are given at a Sixth Form College helps bridge the gap between school and university/a career very well. At school your teachers will chase you to get your work done, but at a Sixth Form College they won’t quite so much; it is up to you and you alone to keep up-to-date.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, i never had to make a personal statement....... Dont even know how u make it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got help from someone

You just have to summarise your situation and tell 'em why you wanna go to that PARTICULAR school (obv using good vocab)

Mine was a little easier as my current/previous school is sh*t, and the students get sh*t grades, I wrote about my school's GCSE pass rate, which was like 23% in 2014, so I knew that if I mention that and then they look at my predicted grades, they would be impressed even though I may not have 10 A*'s, coz coming from a school where people get mostly D's, F's and U's, getting a few A*'s(in my case) is equivalent or more than getting 10A*'s in a high performing school, to them.

So I guess you could say I got lucky, however when I say teaching at my school was sh*t, I mean SH*T!

And I'm also fortunate that I realised that I had to get good grades about 4/5 months ago and started studying, coz at that time I was getting D's, F's and U's for most, if not all, of my subjects(Including English, Maths and Science)

ReputationRep:
    I got help from someone

You just have to summarise your situation and tell 'em why you wanna go to that PARTICULAR school (obv using good vocab)

Mine was a little easier as my current/previous school is sh*t, and the students get sh*t grades, I wrote about my school's GCSE pass rate, which was like 23% in 2014, so I knew that if I mention that and then they look at my predicted grades, they would be impressed even though I may not have 10 A*'s, coz coming from a school where people get mostly D's, F's and U's, getting a few A*'s(in my case) is equivalent or more than getting 10A*'s in a high performing school, to them.

So I guess you could say I got lucky, however when I say teaching at my school was sh*t, I mean SH*T!

And I'm also fortunate that I realised that I had to get good grades about 4/5 months ago and started studying, coz at that time I was getting D's, F's and U's for most, if not all, of my subjects(Including English, Maths and Science)
    23%......... Seriously that's....... Super low... You must have self taught yourself there , but that shows how clever and independent you are , if i was the sixth form i would have begged you to come there....

WELL DONE BRO !!!!!!! proud of you (now i feel well inferior than you coz am not expecting to get ALL A*s eventhough i come from a good school (well better than yours at least) :ashamed2:.... But still am fine with that

ReputationRep:
    That's cool, I'm going to a Sixth form.

Sixth forms
    You may be able to study at your own school’s sixth form, the sixth form of another school, or at a sixth form college. They offer a wider range of options, and the environment is likely to be a bit more relaxed than in Year 11.Sixth forms vary a lot in size, and in the courses and facilities they offer. Sixth form colleges tend to be larger and more informal than school sixth forms

Further education college
    Further education colleges can offer similar courses to sixth form colleges. They also vary a lot in size, and in the subjects and facilities they offer.You might be surprised to find that some of the students are adults of all ages as well as young people. There will be both full and part-time learners studying vocational subjects as well as those studying academic courses.

Sixth form college

Sixth Form Colleges tend to be more informal and comfortable environments in comparison to School Sixth Form centres. The independence you are given at a Sixth Form College helps bridge the gap between school and university/a career very well. At school your teachers will chase you to get your work done, but at a Sixth Form College they won’t quite so much; it is up to you and you alone to keep up-to-date.
    Oh thanks, u wrote alot for me
    So ur saying that sixth forms are attached to you high school, further education college have adults too (16+ years old) and sixth firm college only teach level 3 qualifications such as alevel and btec etc.... (16-19 years old). Correct me if am wrong, thanks

ReputationRep:
    23%......... Seriously that's....... Super low... You must have self taught yourself there , but that shows how clever and independent you are , if i was the sixth form i would have begged you to come there....

WELL DONE BRO !!!!!!! proud of you (now i feel well inferior than you coz am not expecting to get ALL A*s eventhough i come from a good school (well better than yours at least) :ashamed2:.... But still am fine with that
    Yeah, its super sh*t

I did self teach myself, yeah, had to

I'm not clever at all, I would say I'm average.

WTH!! I'm not superior to no one, just coz I went to a sh*t school, doesn't mean I'm superior to anyone, I hate when people think they're superior or even inferior, its not your fault I went to a sh*t school!

It has taught me and helped me a lot though, in terms of independent learning and not relying on teachers for almost ANYTHING.

Not everyone gets all A*'s, as long as you're happy with yourself, no one can say anything to you

Thanks for the kind words

btw, nice use of emojis

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks, u wrote alot for me
    So ur saying that sixth forms are attached to you high school, further education college have adults too (16+ years old) and sixth firm college only teach level 3 qualifications such as alevel and btec etc.... (16-19 years old). Correct me if am wrong, thanks
    No worries Dear.
    A rep will be nice. I'm Craving for 10 gems already :cry2:

Yes you got that right. :yep:

OMG You just made it easier, I couldn't even do that.
    Sorry for a lot of detail.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Do you like my new pic?

ReputationRep:
    No worries Dear.
    A rep will be nice. I'm Craving for 10 gems already :cry2:

Yes you got that right. :yep:

OMG You just made it easier, I couldn't even do that.
    Sorry for a lot of detail.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Do you like my new pic?
    LOL, I was going to give you a rep but got busy replying to other post, but it's done now

I knew what they were, but just didnt know which one was which.... But niw i know thanks. No worrues for the details... That shows how much you want to help me

Oohh of course i love ur new pic

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, its super sh*t

I did self teach myself, yeah, had to

I'm not clever at all, I would say I'm average.

WTH!! I'm not superior to no one, just coz I went to a sh*t school, doesn't mean I'm superior to anyone, I hate when people think they're superior or even inferior, its not your fault I went to a sh*t school!

It has taught me and helped me a lot though, in terms of independent learning and not relying on teachers for almost ANYTHING.

Not everyone gets all A*'s, as long as you're happy with yourself, no one can say anything to you

Thanks for the kind words

btw, nice use of emojis
    Wow calm down! I never said u were superior to me, only said i FELT inferior...... Not the same thing

You're welcome and thanks, i love to use emojis

ReputationRep:
    LOL, I was going to give you a rep but got busy replying to other post, but it's done now

I knew what they were, but just didnt know which one was which.... But niw i know thanks. No worrues for the details... That shows how much you want to help me

Oohh of course i love ur new pic

Haha Aw so sweet. Thanks so much for the Rep.
    I was about to rep you.. But I've already reped you :cry2:
    If only we are allowed to rep more than once

My younger sister chosen it for me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    She was playing Super Mario game.. And then Princess Peach came along and then yeah.. It's a long story. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Wow calm down! I never said u were superior to me, only said i FELT inferior...... Not the same thing

You're welcome and thanks, i love to use emojis
    lol, sorry

What I meant was I don't want you to feel inferior, ygm? coz then that makes me feel like sh*t.

ReputationRep:
    Haha Aw so sweet. Thanks so much for the Rep.
    I was about to rep you.. But I've already reped you :cry2:
    If only we are allowed to rep more than once

My younger sister chosen it for me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    She was playing Super Mario game.. And then Princess Peach came along and then yeah.. It's a long story. :teehee:
    Oh yes i hate when i rep someone and they say "you have already reped this person", it makes me sooooooooo angry...... But yh it's life.....

I love super mario, i used to play it on wii and then my little sister broke it :sigh: by throwing it (she didnt know, she was just being curious.....)

Btw, how many brothers and sisters do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lol, sorry

What I meant was I don't want you to feel inferior, ygm? coz then that makes me feel like sh*t.
    I know that's what u meant, lol :yep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    you LOVE saying sh*t, dont you :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know that's what u meant, lol :yep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    you LOVE saying sh*t, dont you :p:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I dunno its just my sh*t, lol erm.. it was the appropriate word to describe my school and situation so...........

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes i hate when i rep someone and they say "you have already reped this person", it makes me sooooooooo angry...... But yh it's life.....

I love super mario, i used to play it on wii and then my little sister broke it :sigh: by throwing it (she didnt know, she was just being curious.....)

Btw, how many brothers and sisters do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha and if i get the chance to rep you.. I will defo rep you and be so Glad!

OMG. I love that game. My sister acc forces me to play it with her.. It's like a 2 player game. She plays better than me :cry2:

I have 2 younger sisters. I'm the oldest.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno its just my sh*t, lol erm.. it was the appropriate word to describe my school and situation so...........
    That means u know what is the dictionary definition..... So what is it?

ReputationRep:
    Haha and if i get the chance to rep you.. I will defo rep you and be so Glad!

OMG. I love that game. My sister acc forces me to play it with her.. It's like a 2 player game. She plays better than me :cry2:

I have 2 younger sisters. I'm the oldest.

What about you?
    I have a 2 brothers, 17 and 14 and a younger sister, 2

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2 brothers, 17 and 14 and a younger sister, 2
    Aw. That's really adorable. Your lucky you have Brothers. I don't
    You have a very cute Family.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My younger sister is 10 and the other one is 12

ReputationRep:
    That means u know what is the dictionary definition..... So what is it?
    Yes, I do........POO!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.