Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Labour leader? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who would make the best Labour leader now?
    Jeremy Corbyn
    46.10%
    Tom Watson
    4.14%
    Angela Eagle
    5.97%
    Hilary Benn
    8.66%
    Yvette Cooper
    4.91%
    Andy Burnham
    7.31%
    Dan Jarvis
    3.66%
    Someone else
    19.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Interesting to see Corbyn with less than half the support. This poll is likely skewed towards younger people, who are thought more likely to support Corbyn. It's a big assumption to make, but assuming this poll would be representative of those able to vote for Corbyn and with the assumptions on differing support across ages, it suggests Corbyns support from the wider group who can vote in the Labour leadership election would be significantly less than half.

If one challenger was presented to the leadership and people who want the other candidates back them, Corbyn could then lose by as much as 40% to 60%.
    Given the current voting system, it does look pretty unlikely that anyone can challenge Corbyn, although if it was just one candidate and they came across as sincere and ran a very strong campaign, they maybe just might do it. That could be why Angela Eagle is coming to the fore, as she does at least seem to be very down to earth and sincere and she is also fairly leftish.

I personally think that Corbyn will simply win again though and that will be followed by another SDP-style split, with a 'new New Labour' being formed and perhaps going into alliance with any other progressives who will join them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Given the current voting system, it does look pretty unlikely that anyone can challenge Corbyn, although if it was just one candidate and they came across as sincere and ran a very strong campaign, they maybe just might do it. That could be why Angela Eagle is coming to the fore, as she does at least seem to be very down to earth and sincere and she is also fairly leftish.

I personally think that Corbyn will simply win again though and that will be followed by another SDP-style split, with a 'new New Labour' being formed and perhaps going into alliance with any other progressives who will join them.
    Lots of chatter about a Lib Dem / new new Labour collaboration in the offing.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

Thing is, it wouldn't be the same as the SDP split, where only a few left. I think if a split happened again it would be much bigger and perhaps even a significant proportion of elected officials around the country, MPs, MEPs, councillors. It would be a much bigger thing.

ReputationRep:
    Good post Ben. I would advocate Gisela Stuart if she would stand. Labour needs to refocus as we require a credible opposition to ensure balanced politics.

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect to Angela Eagle, she is a weak-willed, pathetic and boneless cry-baby. She doesn't even deserve to be an MP let alone have her name uttered in the same sentence as 'future leader'. She went on the television to cry about the current crisis within the Labour party -you don't see George Osborne crying over the state of the EU so why she thinks it is alright to make a scene over something which she is only tangentially involved in is beyond me -she hasn't even garnered the support of the required number of MPs (51 or more) with which to launch her challenge and the speculation linking her with the job is ludicrous as her credentials are more feeble than the little tantrums she pulls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteScythe)
    With all due respect to Angela Eagle, she is a weak-willed, pathetic and boneless cry-baby. She doesn't even deserve to be an MP let alone have her name uttered in the same sentence as 'future leader'. She went on the television to cry about the current crisis within the Labour party -you don't see George Osborne crying over the state of the EU so why she thinks it is alright to make a scene over something which she is only tangentially involved in is beyond me -she hasn't even garnered the support of the required number of MPs (51 or more) with which to launch her challenge and the speculation linking her with the job is ludicrous as her credentials are more feeble than the little tantrums she pulls.
    I'd like to see more MPs crying myself but anyway she is 9/4 favourite in case anyone's interested.

The second favourite is Owen somebody at 4-1.

Never thought I'd live to see the day when I don't know who the second favourite in a Labour leadership contest is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    I'd like to see more MPs crying myself but anyway she is 9/4 favourite in case anyone's interested.

The second favourite is Owen somebody at 4-1.

Never thought I'd live to see the day when I don't know who the second favourite in a Labour leadership contest is
    Apparently Nadine Dorries has been in tears over Boris's announcement. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Lots of chatter about a Lib Dem / new new Labour collaboration in the offing.
    Tim Farron is a lot more left-leaning than Cleggie, so maybe something could happen there. The question now is, which has the lowest public esteem, Failed Labour or the Rump LibDems?

ReputationRep:
    David Miliband. Still think he was better than Ed.
    Yes I realise he is somewhere else

ReputationRep:
    Labour will find it very difficult. In previous years, they were able to rely on the working class and generational immigrants for their wins. Now, with Brexit, they may have to target one or the others. If however they were to target both, I think Jarvis would be their best bet as his background will connect with a lot of disillusioned supporters.

I do however think they are boned at the next election, regardless of who leads, so they may as well throw their support behind Corbyn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Labour will find it very difficult. In previous years, they were able to rely on the working class and generational immigrants for their wins. Now, with Brexit, they may have to target one or the others. If however they were to target both, I think Jarvis would be their best bet as his background will connect with a lot of disillusioned supporters.

I do however think they are boned at the next election, regardless of who leads, so they may as well throw their support behind Corbyn.
    Well Peter Hitchens would no doubt agree with you.

I shall let the op work out whether that's a 'compliment' or not.

ReputationRep:
    I obviously want Corbyn, as I want to leave the European union, it's the key issue for me, so prefer old school Eurosceptic leftists in the party. Isn't it funny how the party MP's and spin doctors say no-one wants him, the media says no-one wants him, and yet so many on teh ground want him, and so many in this poll. It's exactly the same story as the referendum, an elite class 'in the know' with control, trying to tell people what to think endlessly, trying to say that what they think is what everyone does, with a totally different verdict going on on the ground and in people's heads. The arrogance and obliviousness is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Well Peter Hitchens would no doubt agree with you.

I shall let the op work out whether that's a 'compliment' or not.
    Hitchens is on it. He is a man of principle against this neverending tide of groupthink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Hitchens is on it. He is a man of principle against this neverending tide of groupthink.
    Yep. I think he's wonderful.

I've just discovered his blog site and am working my way through it.

I'd love to know what FullofSurprises thinks of him

ReputationRep:

I don't agree with all of it, but it is totally refreshing to read something different than the propaganda and consensus. There's a lot of depth on that blog, I like his historical stuff too. He really puts into perspective the narrowness of current wisdom, and the annoying level the debate is conducted at.

ReputationRep:
    David miliband, anyone else and it's still be a doomed fate. They will lose seats in 2020 no matter what unless there is a blairite or brownist and David miliband is in between those. Wrong Miliband in 2010 led to the wrong David in 2015.

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy Corbyn is unelectable and will keep the party stagnant. Liz Kendall could actually lead the party to victory with her far-reaching 'workfarist' welfare reform ideas.

ReputationRep:

I'm a big fan of his poor deceased brother. Peter I'm less a fan of, but he's a smart guy and always worth listening to. The problem with him is that he will often say one or two quite interesting and clever things and then go off on one and come out with loads of stuff that in no way logically connects to the first statements, but he says they do. He's an eccentric and interesting man, but I don't really rate him as highly as Christopher, who was a really consistently brilliant guy.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone but Corbyn at this rate

ReputationRep:
    I'm a big fan of his poor deceased brother. Peter I'm less a fan of, but he's a smart guy and always worth listening to. The problem with him is that he will often say one or two quite interesting and clever things and then go off on one and come out with loads of stuff that in no way logically connects to the first statements, but he says they do. He's an eccentric and interesting man, but I don't really rate him as highly as Christopher, who was a really consistently brilliant guy.
    Well I thought everyone was a big fan of his brother. A sad loss indeed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.