How to succeed in your AS levels, + explanation of new A level system

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaffle)
    Hi So if I take AS Further Maths in Summer 2017 under the old A level system, will I still be able to follow through and take A2 level Further Maths of the old syllabus/ system in Summer 2018 (even though that's when the new system is first examined).
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Yeah you will. To do the new spec you've got to start with it, our year is the last year to sit the old one
    As Niamh said, yes. The first year to do the new maths/further maths specification will be the year currently in year 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    As Niamh said, yes. The first year to do the new maths/further maths specification will be the year currently in year 11.
    And that's us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12hamadin)
    And that's us
    it's not too different.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering when people say they get Ds at the start of the year do they mean like in like full papers? or end of chapter/unit papers?
    Cuz like 4 people in my class got A/B and this was in physics so is this good or is it a different type of test you guys are on about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    Just wondering when people say they get Ds at the start of the year do they mean like in like full papers? or end of chapter/unit papers?
    Cuz like 4 people in my class got A/B and this was in physics so is this good or is it a different type of test you guys are on about
    Probably end of unit since that's what is happening to my class, however I've also only started Year 12 so it might be different to the norm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    They mean end of unit. You probably won't be able to do any full papers until past Christmas at the very earliest for some maths modules.

ReputationRep:
    They mean end of unit. You probably won't be able to do any full papers until past Christmas at the very earliest for some maths modules.
    (Original post by extraordinaire)
    Probably end of unit since that's what is happening to my class, however I've also only started Year 12 so it might be different to the norm
    Cool, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe I've only just stumbled across this thread!! Your advice is amazing and a big well done to you on your AS grades!!! I'm really sorry if you've been asked this before but I was wondering whether you have any good tips for studying a language at A-level?? I'm doing Spanish and was just wondering whether you could suggest some good methods for getting a good grasp of grammar? I do know that fundamentally, heaps of practise and application is key but have you got any other tips for learning grammar??

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worksmartnothard)
    Can't believe I've only just stumbled across this thread!! Your advice is amazing and a big well done to you on your AS grades!!! I'm really sorry if you've been asked this before but I was wondering whether you have any good tips for studying a language at A-level?? I'm doing Spanish and was just wondering whether you could suggest some good methods for getting a good grasp of grammar? I do know that fundamentally, heaps of practise and application is key but have you got any other tips for learning grammar??

Thanks in advance
    No problem, I'm glad it's helped you and thanks! I did French AS level, so I know a bit. You can basically split up doing well in to 3 bits- the grammar/syntax/structure of speaking and writing and doing this fluently, knowing the key vocab you need for your specification (will be in the textbook) and additional vocab, and then your exam technique over the speaking, listening and reading.

If you want me to go in to specifics, ask away!

ReputationRep:
    No problem, I'm glad it's helped you and thanks! I did French AS level, so I know a bit. You can basically split up doing well in to 3 bits- the grammar/syntax/structure of speaking and writing and doing this fluently, knowing the key vocab you need for your specification (will be in the textbook) and additional vocab, and then your exam technique over the speaking, listening and reading.

If you want me to go in to specifics, ask away!
    Great, thank you!! I'm sure I'll have many questions to ask you in the near future

ReputationRep:
    Great, thank you!! I'm sure I'll have many questions to ask you in the near future
    I completely agree with your username btw

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with your username btw

It's great isn't it

(without trying to sound cocky haha)

ReputationRep:
    It's great isn't it

(without trying to sound cocky haha)
    It'd the best way

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How do you get an A* grade with the new A-Levels since UMS doesn't exist anymore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adenine9)
    Hi,

How do you get an A* grade with the new A-Levels since UMS doesn't exist anymore?
    I think it is literally that they will release the marks needed for an A* in each exam, then if your total mark is higher than the total mark needed for an A* added up across all the A2 papers, you get an A*

ReputationRep:
    I think it is literally that they will release the marks needed for an A* in each exam, then if your total mark is higher than the total mark needed for an A* added up across all the A2 papers, you get an A*
    Hi,
    If you were to drop a subject at AS and you get an A/B or whatever grade you get would this have anything to do with your application to your uni's ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Hi,
    If you were to drop a subject at AS and you get an A/B or whatever grade you get would this have anything to do with your application to your uni's ?
    Yes absolutely. My only confusion currently is whether if you do the actual AS exam but continue with the subject is if that goes on, and I'm currently being told yes to that one too.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    how do you revise rich panda I'm taking chemistry and maths and psychology

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.