Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Can bilinguals think in both of their languages?

ReputationRep:
    I'm bilingual. I'm fluent in English and Tamil but my English is slightly better than my Tamil. I can think in both languages it just depends on the situation I'm in so if I'm surrounded by mostly English speaking people my thought process will be in English and the other way around. Sometimes when I'm on my own. its one or the other or a weird mix of both that probably only I think makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    I think in both, I definitely know I think in punjabi because I swear at people in my head in punjabi.

I think mostly in English because that is the language I read, watch tv and speak etc but recalling conversations with my mum and some other things are when I know I'm thinking in punjabi.

I was thinking in English when I typed up this post :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niv1234)
    I'm bilingual. I'm fluent in English and Tamil but my English is slightly better than my Tamil. I can think in both languages it just depends on the situation I'm in so if I'm surrounded by mostly English speaking people my thought process will be in English and the other way around. Sometimes when I'm on my own. its one or the other or a weird mix of both that probably only I think makes sense.
    1) Can you think in English?

2) Can you think in Tamil?

3) What age did you learn both languages?

4) Can you think in any other language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg45344)

2) Can you think in Tamil?

1)Yes, I can think in English.

2)Yes, I can think in Tamil.

3) Tamil is my first language and thats what my parents speak so I started learning that when I was born. I used to live in Germany and I moved to England when I was 6 so I started learning English at that age when I started school here. I used to be fluent in German but I've forgotten most of it then I started learning it in school here.

4)I know quite a bit of German and I can think a bit in it but I wouldn't say I as fluent. I learn a lot of other languages too but I can't really think in them.

ReputationRep:
    1)Yes, I can think in English.

2)Yes, I can think in Tamil.

3) Tamil is my first language and thats what my parents speak so I started learning that when I was born. I used to live in Germany and I moved to England when I was 6 so I started learning English at that age when I started school here. I used to be fluent in German but I've forgotten most of it then I started learning it in school here.

4)I know quite a bit of German and I can think a bit in it but I wouldn't say I as fluent. I learn a lot of other languages too but I can't really think in them.
    Hmmm, surely you can think in German if you were exposed to it at a young age?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, surely you can think in German if you were exposed to it at a young age?
    I can a bit but I wouldn't really say I was fluent in it. I used to be as I started school there but when I moved here and started learning English I was 6 and I started forgetting German.

ReputationRep:
    I can a bit but I wouldn't really say I was fluent in it. I used to be as I started school there but when I moved here and started learning English I was 6 and I started forgetting German.
    So if someone asks you, "what languages can you think in?"...how would you answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    I think in both, I definitely know I think in punjabi because I swear at people in my head in punjabi.

I think mostly in English because that is the language I read, watch tv and speak etc but recalling conversations with my mum and some other things are when I know I'm thinking in punjabi.

this :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    this :rofl:
    Oyyyyye! Tuhadi maa di..........!
    Tuhadi behen di............!
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)

2) Can you think in Punjabi?

ReputationRep:

:lol: I've already answered your questions about Hindi and Gujarati on the previous pages. I don't really speak Punjabi (anymore :emo:)
    I was just messing with TheonlyMrsHolmes and Lord Samosa :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    I never got this notification until you tagged me

Most of the time I hear myself saying things like "What an absolute kuthi!" Omg that reminds me, years ago me and my friends named a group of girls in my old school the "kuthiya" and we always referred to them as that. I think we still would now if we spoke about them, like "Did you see thingy was hanging around with the Kuthiya the other day!" XDD

It's actually so funny! XD

ReputationRep:
    Of course we can- we are essentially just talking in our heads thats what thinking is

ReputationRep:

2) Can you think in Dutch?

1) Yes, I can think in English.
    2) Yes, I can think in Dutch.
    3) I'm a native Dutch speaker. I started learning English in school when I was 10-ish. I think I began to think in English now and then in my early teens, when I started reading in English.
    4) I have basic knowledge of a few other languages but can't think in them.

ReputationRep:

2) Can you think in Welsh?

5-6ish I could speak both
    *4) Can you think in any other language?

1 and 2: Yes
    3: 4-5ish
    4:no*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)

1 and 2: Yes
    3: 4-5ish
    4:no*

2) Can you think in Welsh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilycunningham)
    Of course we can- we are essentially just talking in our heads thats what thinking is
    Are you bilingual? Can you think in both languages or just english?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Are you bilingual? Can you think in both languages or just english?
    I just said yes I can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilycunningham)
    I just said yes I can
    What are the languages? What age did you learn them? Can you think in any other language?

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.