Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Your example was about proportions, in the context of a vote it's irrelevant or what was being discussed. If you had asked 'is 13 significantly more than 12?' that would've been a slightly relevant question, and the answer would still be no.

Good to see you concede your point.

Then please refrain from saying 'you' to me if it's not the 'you' you're referring to, it clouds your judgement.

Being an MP would be beneficial to having a voice and wielding some sort of power. He said, I quote, "now I want my life back". He's done. He has no interest in seeing it through. He's abandoning the political ship.
    My point was about people wanting a second referendum.

the next general election is 2020 once article 50 is evoked that is 2 years max until we leave it is unlikely he could become an mp in that time and his goal was clear, he has done what he set off to do he has got the public to tell the government they want to leave, what do you want him to do considering he doesn't actually have any power in parliament?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    That is the most idiotic, uneducated and ridiculous statement I've ever read.

The majority is not always right, for it is the majority that can oppress.
    Loooooool banta

Trapz vs Stefan BEEF
    Let's eat

Bants bants bants bants bants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    My point was about people wanting a second referendum.

the next general election is 2020 once article 50 is evoked that is 2 years max until we leave it is unlikely he could become an mp in that time and his goal was clear, he has done what he set off to do he has got the public to tell the government they want to leave, what do you want him to do considering he doesn't actually have any power in parliament?
    Due to your regular avoiding of discussion and flip flopping to avoid points, I will have to end it here, shame.

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    No, the country won't be over it for 10 years at least, and that's if we keep all our soft credibility. It's EEA or the highway now I'm afraid.
    Please, get over yourself. You don't speak for the country, and neither does the OP.

What I said was clearly a reference to the OP's assertion that the referendum was rigged because it didn't return her favoured outcome. Try not to shoehorn your fatalistic predictions for the future into this simple point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    Steven Woolfe.
    Woolfe would be my choice, he rips the lefty SJW types a new one in debates.

ReputationRep:
    Nigel Farage is a British hero as far as I'm concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Farage=Banter=Pub lad

I'm not a fan of the guys views but he's definitely a banterous lad with good charisma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I think it would be very unfair if Farage was not given a peerage when he steps down from being an MEP.
    Baron Farage of the Isle of White?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I think UKIP is moving in a different direction from Farage.

Farage was basically "blue UKIP" - he wanted withdrawal from the EU so the UK could become a low tax, deregulated economy. He's talked about things like slashing the public sector, privatizing the NHS, having a flat tax rate, scrapping the minimum wage and so on. "Blue UKIP" was similar to the right wing of the Conservative party which is why he was pitching for the likes of Carswell (who is also likely on his way out of UKIP) and Reckless to defect.

However, "blue UKIP" is more or less redundant now that Brexit has won because the Conservative Eurosceptics don't need a new party and also to the kind of traditional Tory who would have considered voting UKIP, they can be put off by the fact UKIP looks a bit amateurish and has some shady characters who are not very conservative in their views.

The bigger rise in UKIP in recent times has been "red UKIP" which is a working class, protectionist movement who are challenging Labour in working class areas, as the party who is "in touch with the working class" whereas Labour are seen as a metropolitan middle class liberal party. They are opposed to immigration but also campaign on low wages, poor working conditions, lack of funding for the NHS and schools etc. The £350m a week for the NHS was a pitch to red UKIPers. They aren't voting UKIP because they support Farage and his City mates getting tax breaks while he slashes public services and privatises the NHS. They are voting UKIP because they are fed up with their lives being crap and want to get something back off the establishment.

I think UKIP will now move in this direction and will be a threat to Labour and if Labour continue to be in disarray, they could pick up seats but I think they will promote quite a left wing agenda (on economic issues, not social issues) rather than campaign for the unrestrained free market that Farage and his pals would like.

In general the future for UKIP is uncertain without Farage. They need leadership. The party has seemed quite disorganised and riven with internal squabbling and they could easily break apart. They may also struggle for funding now the Europe issue is settled because the wealthier donors who were basically Eurosceptic former Tories, will now switch to funding the Tories as they can at least influence the kind of Brexit Britain they want there.
    Interesting post.
    I would say however that despite being ideologically a right wing Tory or 'blue UKIP', that Farage's rhetoric was very red UKIP. Very protectionist and anti immigration because of the effect on wages and public services.

Farage had a lot of personal appeal with the left wing working class and one wonders if a more obviously neoliberal and socially liberal UKIP leader such as Carswell would appeal in the Labour heartlands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    No, the country won't be over it for 10 years at least, and that's if we keep all our soft credibility. It's EEA or the highway now I'm afraid.
    You really don't like freedom do you? There are plenty of police style states for you to move to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I think it would be very unfair if Farage was not given a peerage when he steps down from being an MEP.
    A peerage for Mr Anti-Establishment?

Is that sarcasm I detect by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    So do you think that you are somehow more qualified to vote on this issue than some of the people that voted leave? Since if you disagree that democracy is right, you are implying that some people are better qualified to make decisions than others and they should somehow have a bigger say in what direction the country goes.
    Didn't you know, it is only right if the self-righteous Stefan says it is.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    No you may not, I'm qualified to make those assessments not you.

As for am I joking, no I am not we live in a democratic society if we vote a certain way then that is the right way. the only people who decide what is right and wrong in a democracy is the people
    No, democracy simply entails letting the people decide what political decisions a society makes. Just because the majority hold a view, doesn't mean that view is objectively true; that's an ad populum fallacy. And believe it or not, in a society with free speech, people are in fact allowed to criticise what the majority think. :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    No, democracy simply entails letting the people decide what political decisions a society makes. Just because the majority hold a view, doesn't mean that view is objectively true; that's an ad populum fallacy. And believe it or not, in a society with free speech, people are in fact allowed to criticise what the majority think. :zomg:
    Yea they can criticise all they like.

What they shouldn't do is try to get the decision over turned that is anti democratic the campaign for votes is over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Excellent news :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReader)
    Didn't you know, it is only right if the self-righteous Stefan says it is.*
    True that is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    You really don't like freedom do you? There are plenty of police style states for you to move to.
    Freedom is an expensive luxury, as we will find.

Our own government is perfectly capable of oppressing us, in fact the EU was one of the main actors helping us resist this.

I feel far more chained and restricted since the vote.

ReputationRep:
    HAHA!! Yes!

So long Farage - you vile slime ball. It's just a pity that he is hanging on to his MEP position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    HAHA!! Yes!

So long Farage - you vile slime ball. It's just a pity that he is hanging on to his MEP position.

ReputationRep:
    Good I don't like him

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.