Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MHoC By-Election: Voting watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be elected as an MP in seat 50?
    Aph
    2.94%
    adam9317
    21.57%
    Birchington
    22.55%
    george_c00per
    33.33%
    ABoyHasNoName
    16.67%
    (Spoilt ballot)
    2.94%

• Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Obviously less likely to be a concern with oversight. And the more critical point is accountability. I don't see how you, the leader of the Green Party, could possibly suggest that such democratising oversight would '**** it up'.
    The RL government has a habit of making things worse when they interfere, that's why I'm concerned

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Andy98)
    The RL government has a habit of making things worse when they interfere, that's why I'm concerned

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mistrust of a particular government (a Tory one at that!) is no reason to oppose regulation. Not any reason to vote for a Tory-led government candidate.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'll be dead, so may as well get some use out of my body.

ReputationRep:
    @adam9317 although I have not voted for you, I wish you the best of luck as your manifesto speaks to me confidence and passion for the role. Best of luck and hope to see you one day contribute to the commons.

@Aph best of luck to you also, your voice would be very welcomed in this sometimes crazy Parliament that we have.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Mistrust of a particular government (a Tory one at that!) is no reason to oppose regulation. Not any reason to vote for a Tory-led government candidate.
    It's not one particular government that has this pattern, it's most of the governments I've seen

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's not one particular government that has this pattern, it's most of the governments I've seen

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But you're a Green - inherently pro-regulation and pro-intervention?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    But you're a Green - inherently pro-regulation and pro-intervention?
    But I'm also sensible enough to see when it is unnecessary.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    But I'm also sensible enough to see when it is unnecessary.
    You suggested that governments would ruin it by the meer act of making sure taxpayers money is spent correctly. That's not sensible.

We do not expect charities to run our fire service or ambulances so why should the position here be different?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    You suggested that governments would ruin it by the meer act of making sure taxpayers money is spent correctly. That's not sensible.

We do not expect charities to run our fire service or ambulances so why should the position here be different?
    Currently the RNLI operates 444 lifeboats; meaning they save thousands, but an average of 150 still drown each year (2013 stat).

Whereas the ambulances are getting slower in responding, meaning thousands of lives are lost.

I'm no expert but that suggests to me that the RNLI is better off as is.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Currently the RNLI operates 444 lifeboats; meaning they save thousands, but an average of 150 still drown each year (2013 stat).

Whereas the ambulances are getting slower in responding, meaning thousands of lives are lost.

150 out of how many?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

That's because the increase in demand hasn't been met with appropriate funding and is irrelevant as all we're proposing is more money for an institution with democratic accountability as to how it's spent. You might as well use that stat to argue for the privatisation of the NHS (and virtually everything else). I think you're grasping at straws tbh.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    That's because the increase in demand hasn't been met with appropriate funding and is irrelevant as all we're proposing is more money for an institution with democratic accountability as to how it's spent. You might as well use that stat to argue for the privatisation of the NHS (and virtually everything else). I think you're grasping at straws tbh.
    Like I've said, I agree with putting more money into it; but I don't see the need for the government to oversee the spending of it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Like I've said, I agree with putting more money into it; but I don't see the need for the government to oversee the spending of it.
    It is irresponsible to spend taxpayer's money on something without oversight.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It is irresponsible to spend taxpayer's money on something without oversight.
    It is irresponsible to spend taxpayer's money on military at the detriment of healthcare in peace time. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It is irresponsible to spend taxpayer's money on military at the detriment of healthcare in peace time. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    So you're saying we should do something irresponsible because in other situations 'it happens'.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    So you're saying we should do something irresponsible because in other situations 'it happens'.
    I'm merely saying that irresponsibility does not seem to be a valid point
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm merely saying that irresponsibility does not seem to be a valid point
    What you're saying is that bad governance in one area justifies bad governance in another.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    What you're saying is that bad governance in one area justifies bad governance in another.
    I'm just saying that you can't make an argument based on a point that gets ignored in other areas.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm just saying that you can't make an argument based on a point that gets ignored in other areas.
    You can though... Because otherwise nothing would ever change...

ReputationRep:

And a process of match funding donations in some way would be the simplest way of helping the RNLI. Their website quotes an average of 22 lives saved per day.

Would future potential lifeboat crew join up if it was a government run organisation? Would oversight mean that some lifeboat volunteers who are not on the boats (such as fundraisers) be put off by red tape? Oversight would mean paying people to be on committees and produce reports, not buying extra or newer boats and equipment.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.