Robot wars is BACK!

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Christ spinners are overpowered this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Christ spinners are overpowered this year.
    The armour got stronger, so the spinners evolved to cope with it.

And that's where arrogance gets you...

in a big pit

ReputationRep:
    Spoilers!

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've never seen a more pathetic team than Foxit. ****ing hell.

What an upset though!

ReputationRep:
    I think last night's runner-up should be in with a good chance of getting the wildcard place in the finals. IMO their overall performance was much better than Behemoth's or any of the others from episode 1, and I think they'd have at least some chance of winning if given another shot.

Guess we'll have to see whether there are any bigger upsets to come though, I guess. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Anytime I watched match of the day and jonathan pearce is commentating I always expect him to slip in a 'Sir Kill-Aaaaaaaaa-Lotttttttt!!!'

ReputationRep:
    I wanna build a robot. I even bought a book two years ago called 'Robot Building for Dummies' but it's about 20 years old now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I wanna build a robot. I even bought a book two years ago called 'Robot Building for Dummies' but it's about 20 years old now...
    If you're serious, apparently the Fighting Robots Association is a good place to go for info/help from other builders. That's where most of the roboteers send people when they ask for advice on Facebook pages etc. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    If you're serious, apparently the Fighting Robots Association is a good place to go for info/help from other builders. That's where most of the roboteers send people when they ask for advice on Facebook pages etc. :yes:
    Awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    Spoilers!

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've never seen a more pathetic team than Foxit. ****ing hell.

What an upset though!
    They were pretty useless. Looked like they should have been in the middle weight division of the old series.

Spinners are going to win. Shame Thor didn't win that episode, they deserved to given they have a weapon and not just a scoop which didn't even scoop.

Wish I knew why the jackass editors thought we wanted to see the crowd/teams/some obscure close up and not the fight that was going on, just give us a slightly wider shot and do the close ups in the replays FFS.

That fight that wasn't a fight should have resulted in a DSQ for both teams from the whole competition, pathetic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    They were pretty useless. Looked like they should have been in the middle weight division of the old series.

Spinners are going to win. Shame Thor didn't win that episode, they deserved to given they have a weapon and not just a scoop which didn't even scoop.

Wish I knew why the jackass editors thought we wanted to see the crowd/teams/some obscure close up and not the fight that was going on, just give us a slightly wider shot and do the close ups in the replays FFS.

That fight that wasn't a fight should have resulted in a DSQ for both teams from the whole competition, pathetic!
    Foxic was actually about the same weight as most heavyweights from series 4-7, a little lighter. The rest of this week's lineup (other than the ridiculously underweight Chimera) were still a good 15 kg heavier, though, thanks to the higher limit for this series. I was impressed that something so small could push the beefed up Dead Metal... though that's about all I can say I found impressive about Foxic. :giggle:

The spinners have definitely impressed so far, but I'm looking forward to seeing whether the two most impressive looking flippers (Or Te and Eruption) can manage to get a robot over the new higher walls and out of the arena.

While MR Speed Squared vs Foxic was boring, I don't think either team should have been disqualified. Both seemed to be having real issues (weapons with the former, traction and control with the latter). Sometimes things break, or just don't work out as the teams planned. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Foxic was actually about the same weight as most heavyweights from series 4-7, a little lighter. The rest of this week's lineup (other than the ridiculously underweight Chimera) were still a good 15 kg heavier, though, thanks to the higher limit for this series. I was impressed that something so small could push the beefed up Dead Metal... though that's about all I can say I found impressive about Foxic. :giggle:

The spinners have definitely impressed so far, but I'm looking forward to seeing whether the two most impressive looking flippers (Or Te and Eruption) can manage to get a robot over the new higher walls and out of the arena.

While MR Speed Squared vs Foxic was boring, I don't think either team should have been disqualified. Both seemed to be having real issues (weapons with the former, traction and control with the latter). Sometimes things break, or just don't work out as the teams planned. :dontknow:
    Oh I was very impressed that it pushed dead metal!! I would imagine it would shove Tornado all over the place.

How high are the new walls? I thought it was like a cube with just the one gap where the entry ramp was?

True, but they could have still driven into each other?

Seeing this series, I think hypnodisc would need a huge amount of upgrading to compete, the spinners are just brutal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)

Spoilers again.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I swear I read something about wildcards being in the grand final, so Thor could get in that way? Carbide last week was just :coma: Though disConstructor was incredibly poor this week...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Oh I was very impressed that it pushed dead metal!! I would imagine it would shove Tornado all over the place.

How high are the new walls? I thought it was like a cube with just the one gap where the entry ramp was?

True, but they could have still driven into each other?

Seeing this series, I think hypnodisc would need a huge amount of upgrading to compete, the spinners are just brutal.
    Apparently out of the arena flips are still possible in theory, but the walls are 7 meters high. :zomg:

I think it's a nice adaptation, as by Series 6/7, loads of robots were capable of flipping others out of the arena, and in the years after the TV run ended it became the most popular tactic in the live shows. It was getting a little boring. But a 7 meter flip would be far more impressive.

ReputationRep:
    Spoilers again.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I swear I read something about wildcards being in the grand final, so Thor could get in that way? Carbide last week was just :coma: Though disConstructor was incredibly poor this week...
    There is a place for one Wildcard in the grand final, according to information released before the series aired (and it's listed on the side of the competitors page of the official website as well). :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Spoilers again.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd like to see Thor go through, he actually seemed a little modest and not cocky.

Apparently out of the arena flips are still possible in theory, but the walls are 7 meters high. :zomg:

I think it's a nice adaptation, as by Series 6/7, loads of robots were capable of flipping others out of the arena, and in the years after the TV run ended it became the most popular tactic in the live shows. It was getting a little boring. But a 7 meter flip would be far more impressive.
    Who has flipped that high before other than wheelie big cheese? Don't think Chaos 2 even got close?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    I'd like to see Thor go through, he actually seemed a little modest and not cocky.

Who has flipped that high before other than wheelie big cheese? Don't think Chaos 2 even got close?
    Just realized that I was thinking 7 feet in my head... a 7 meter flip really would be impressive. :zomg: But I knew I'd read somewhere that out of the arena flips were still theoretically possible - apparently there are gaps around the robot entrances, and the pit release button.

ReputationRep:
    The pit annoys me, I wish they would get rid of it, or maybe make it a lot smaller, its such a cheap way to win and I think it ruins the fights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    The pit annoys me, I wish they would get rid of it, or maybe make it a lot smaller, its such a cheap way to win and I think it ruins the fights.
    I think there should be a minimum amount of time a battle has to last before the release button becomes active, to prevent insta-pit battles, but I'd be against removing the hazard entirely. There needs to be some way for robots that favour pushing power/control etc over destructive weaponry to be able to finish an opponent.

ReputationRep:
    I think there should be a minimum amount of time a battle has to last before the release button becomes active, to prevent insta-pit battles, but I'd be against removing the hazard entirely. There needs to be some way for robots that favour pushing power/control etc over destructive weaponry to be able to finish an opponent.
    They have the CPZ's for the pushing robots already, I just think that it is stupid when a great machine like Razor gets eliminated as a result of a hole in the floor.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.